1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cognitive Behaviour therapy For Self Improvement and Deaddiction

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jun 22, 2022.

1. I am broke. Right now I am unable to see any therapist or take any professional help. But what I can do is to teach myself the therapy itself. I will write down all the techniques I have learnt and share resources. I will use this journal as a thought diary as well.

2. Jiminy Cricket

Jiminy Cricket Fapstronaut

Hey I also can't afford a therapist but if you have any free resources to share please do so. I'm very interested.

I'm currently reading "Feeling Good". It's mainly about depression (which I don't have) but it has been helpful regardless. Stuff about procrastination and all-or-nothing attitude, for example. The ebook is quite cheap, I got it for like 5 dollars.

DeterminedRebooter likes this.
  3. DevilMayFry

DevilMayFry Fapstronaut

Hope you guys benefit. I tried CBT but it never worked. In the end, I had to get a therapist. No self-therapy helped one bit.

4. You can find free books pdf on cognitive behavioural therapy , dialectical therapy and acceptance commitment therapy from library genesis website. I have a book pdf about CBT for addiction.

5. Discouraging but seems to be true but I wont stop guys. I will have to work on myself in those techniques as an experimental basis

6. At its core, DBT helps people build four major skills:
    • mindfulness

• distress tolerance

• interpersonal effectiveness

• emotional regulation

How does DBT compare to CBT?
    DBT is considered a subtype of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), but there’s a lot of overlap between the two. Both involve talk therapy to help better understand and manage your thoughts and behaviors.
    However, DBT puts a little more emphasis on managing emotions and interpersonal relationships. This is largely because it was originally developed as a treatment for BPD, which is often marked by dramatic swings in mood and behavior that can make having relationships with others difficult.

Mindfulness:
    Mindfulness is about being aware of and accepting what’s happening in the present moment. This can help you learn to notice and accept your thoughts and feelings without judgement.

In the context of DBT, mindfulness is broken down into “what” skills and “how” skills.

“What” skills teach you what you’re focusing on, which might be:

‌The present
    ‌your awareness in the present
    ‌your emotions, thoughts, and sensations separating emotions and sensations from thoughts

“How” skills teach you how to be more mindful by:

• ‌balancing rational thoughts with emotions
    • using radical acceptance to learn to tolerate aspects of yourself (as long as they aren’t hurting you or others)
    • ‌taking effective action
    • ‌using mindfulness skills regularly
    • ‌overcoming things that make mindfulness difficult, such as sleepiness, restlessness, and doubt

Distress Tolerance:
    Distress tolerance skills can help you:
    ‌distract yourself until you’re calm enough to deal with the situation or emotion
    ‌self-soothe by relaxing and using your senses to feel more at peace
    ‌find ways to improve the moment despite pain or difficulty‌ compare coping strategies by listing pros and cons

Interpersonal Effectiveness
    These skills include:
    ‌objective effectiveness, or learning how to ask for what you want and take steps to get it
    ‌interpersonal effectiveness, or learning how to work through conflict and challenges in relationships
    ‌self-respect effectiveness, or building greater respect for yourself

Emotion Regulation :
    Emotion regulation skills teach you to:
    • ‌recognize emotions
    • ‌overcome barriers to emotions that have positive effects
    • ‌reduce vulnerability
    • ‌increase emotions that have positive effects
    • ‌be more mindful of emotions without judging them
    • ‌expose yourself to your emotions
    • ‌avoid giving into emotional urges
    • ‌solve problems in helpful ways

7. Jiminy Cricket

Jiminy Cricket Fapstronaut

I would like to think that with good self awareness and good info you can get do much. With therapy it's not just about the therapist but about how much work you are willing to put in yourself. So if we are willing to put in work for ourselves with books and such, surely that'll only do good. :)

DeterminedRebooter likes this.
  8. Correct.. Do you practice meditation or mindfulness at least once a week ?