1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Constant muscle tension

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by jatar, Nov 29, 2015.

1. jatar

jatar Fapstronaut

Hi guys!

The question is not strictly PMO-related, but is connected with self-improvement (kind of...) so I decided to post it here.

The problem is, I feel constant tension in my shoulder and leg muscles. Even when sitting and writing this post I subconsciously, slighty raise my shoulders upwards (towards my ears). Same thing when sitting and reading a book, walking around. When I direct my attention towards it and catch myself doing that, I realize I can relax my shoulders and lower them by as much as 2-3 cm (about an inch). Similarly, when sitting in front of the computer I tend to "clench" my toes, or kind of stand on them when I could just lay my feet flat on the floor. So I feel pressure in my legs, too.

Does anyone have similar issue or is it just me? Is it caused by some subconscious anxiety? Did anyone successfully deal with such issue?

Thanks for reading! Any response is appreciated.

2. Hamartovi

Hamartovi Fapstronaut

You should check this with a doctor, preferably an osteopath or a physiotherapist.

We have many dysfunctions in our body caused by our lifestyle (sitting is NOT a natural position ...), also the human body isn't completely symmetrical, so that can be the root of some problems (I have a few friends that have one leg longer than the other, apparently it's very common).

jatar likes this.
  3. I'm regularly tense due to constant training so I take magnesium and extra salt everyday. Helps a lot. Also sounds like you just need to relax. Breathe. Its all good. Everything is fine.

jatar likes this.
  4. jatar

jatar Fapstronaut

@Hamartovi @SolidStance

Thank you guys for your replies!

I'll try magnesium (I used to take it daily but then gave it up for no particular reason) and relaxing more. I thought about the situation a bit more and realized that most of the time I'm anxious about my work, so that may be part of the problem. And if I don't improve within a few weeks I will seriously consider visiting a doctor. It's true that I hunch over the keyboard at work most of the time, plus I use a laptop both at home and at work, which is not the most ergonomic device, so my posture is sub optimal.

5. bananaCat

bananaCat Fapstronaut

I have constant tension in my upper back, so I can relate, jatar. I tend to clench my teeth when I'm stresses for many days too. I'll definetely try magnesium. Thanks guys, and great post!

jatar likes this.
  6. jatar

jatar Fapstronaut

I sometimes experience the same thing with clenching my teeth! Especially when falling asleep when I know that the next day will be difficult and stressful.

Your upper back problem seems to be very similar to my symptoms. Have you tried anything to solve that already?

7. bananaCat

bananaCat Fapstronaut

I noticed it less when I eat more raw fruit and veggies. It cools the imflamation somehow, mayb? And I have less pain now that I lift weights, and also because I sit better at my desk using a BackJoy on my chair. Works wonders! Will try magnesium too.
    Good luck to you jatar and everybody else w/ your tension and pain ... and NoFap of course!

jatar likes this.
  8. Quanta

Quanta New Fapstronaut

I want to revive this post. The language really resonated with me:

"subconsciously, slighty raise my shoulders upwards (towards my ears)."

I experience the same thing and found this with an almost exact google search.

I sense this happens because the body is having trouble breathing with from the position the shoulders have to raise from. I assume because of body wide tension.

Does anyone else experience this?

@jatar, this was some time ago. Did this symptom resolve?