1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Conversation 101

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Odiebear, Feb 15, 2020.

1. Odiebear

Odiebear Fapstronaut

Hey this might be a weird topic but something ive been trying to do on my own for a while. But even now that im in a more positive head space and feel like myself for the first time in a while. Im still struggling with this issue:

How do you carry long conversations with the same people?

Context: Im a paramedic, i spend very long hours with the same coworker and on the odd occasion other medics and im noticing it always comes down to me not being able to carry a conversation.
    I never have any issue talking to my SO or my very good friends but when it comes to people where i try to keep an emotional distance, coworkers, patients and other people you interact with in day to day life, i just really suck at small talk, or the level above small talk, and i dont want to come off as antisocial, but i really really do sometimes.

the awakening and dogeatdog like this.
  2. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Try treating them like they are already your friends.

dogeatdog likes this.
  3. dogeatdog

dogeatdog Fapstronaut

What Reconstruction said. Asking questions and giving your own answer to the question is a great way to keep the conversation going and may lead to more interesting topics. For example: "what kind of music do you like? I personally listen to bla bla bla". This always works for me and I'm generally very shy around new people.

4. You've had some good answers. I'll add some more.

To have someone consider you interesting (and therefore enjoy talking to you), you have to remember some things.
    • You have two ears, but one mouth. Therefore, listen twice as much as you talk. (In practice, having six ears and one mouth is better :).)
    • Become genuinely, seriously interested in the other person. Many years ago, when I was terribly socially awkward, I made a few goals, and one of them was to believe that everyone — yes, everyone — had something to teach me. How could I learn what that something was unless I became keenly interested in their story? Imagine that this person was going to become a long-term friend. You'd want to find out everything about him or her — what's their story? (I actually often ask that question: "Everyone has an interesting story," I say, "so what's your story?" You'll be amazed at the stories people can tell you, even that homeless tramp around the corner.)
    • Be vulnerable. A person won't open up to you unless they feel safe. If you share a vulnerability with them (be brief, because you don't want to bore them), they then feel safe to share a vulnerability with you. For example, here's a great one because so many other people feel the same way. If the conversation is appropriate, I'll tell the person, "I might look confident, but it's all an act; I had to learn it. I'm really socially awkward and I find it hard to have a conversation!" You might be shocked how much others will open up to you.
    • I repeat: A person won't open up to you unless they feel safe. Therefore, don't be judgemental! Don't bad mouth other people (the listener will think, "If he says that about others, what's he going to say about me behind my back?"). Don't criticise. Be tolerant. Try to understand the other person's point of view, even when you disagree with them.
    • Be genuine and honest. Don't pretend to like something because they do. (Men — listen to this! A woman doesn't want you to change your mind to suit her opinion. She wants you to be genuine.) If you are an ethical and moral person, you never need to change your mind to suit others; only if they give you a solid argument that persuades you, in which case be humble, honest, and man enough, to change your mind and thank them.
    Despite being dated, the truths in Dale Carnegie's book How to Make Friends and Influence People are timeless and ever-useful. Read it!

Juggler and Odiebear like this.
  5. Odiebear

Odiebear Fapstronaut

This is awesome. I was able to use some of these last night with my regular partner. Although we have barely anything in common i was able to carry a conversation fairly well and we got into some deeper topics of our lives were able to open up a little more.

Thanks to everyone else for the useful comments. Keep em coming if you got more!

Mordobarn likes this.