1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you guys read? I'm looking for book recommendations.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by NebulousRiver, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Venkat19

Venkat19 Fapstronaut

Visit goodreads.com
    There enter your favourite genres and get recommendations and new release alert regularly!

RockyRocky likes this.
  2. If you have read 1984 i can suggest you
    Brave New world by Huxley
    Us by Zamjiatin
    The Circle by Dave Eggers
    The Warehouse by Rob Hart

3. A book I would like to get: Democracy – The God That Failed by Hans Herman Hoppe

A book I'm reading: On war by Carl von Clausewitz

4. Archangel01

Archangel01 Fapstronaut

Seems like NoFappers tend to gravitate to a similar book taste.

In the category of Thinking fast & slow I can also recommend the Milgram Experiment. Really an eye opening book.

In the self-help section I believe the most revealing ones I have read were the books by Nathaniel Branden, especially "The 6 Pillars of Self-Esteem" I highly recommend.

His books then led me to Ayn Rand. If I had to choose one book that gave me a whole new view of the world, it was "Atlas Shrugged". Also "The Fountainhead" is awesome.
    Atlas Shrugged could maybe put in a similar category as Orwells's 1984.

Yesterday I've started "Manhatten Transfer" by John Dos Passos and after that I'll probably get "The Financier" by Theodore Dreiser.
    Those classic American novels have really hooked me.

Deleted Account likes this.
  5. I like more of books with the themes of economics and/or probability. . This way, I also recommend the books of Any Rand, they're very good. One book that I'd like to point out is "The Road of Serfdom", written by Friedrich Hayek and "Basic Economics" by Thomas Sowell. Also, "The Law", written by Fréderic Bastiat is amazing, because it looks so recent, even though it was written almost 300 years ago. To conclude, one of my favorite authors is Nassim Nicholas Taleb. I would recommend some of his books that I read - "Fooled by Randomness (2001)", "Black Swan (2007)", "Antifragile (2012)" and "Skins in the Game (2018)". In my opinion, Black Swan is one of the most intelligents books I've ever read, it talks about the errors or mistakes that we do when we think we know a lot about some subject.

6. A good self help/neuroscience book is Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself by Dr. Joe Dispenza. You didn’t mention science/nature but I recently read a fantastic book about the wolves of Yellowstone called The Rise of Wolf 8 by Rick McIntyre. I love Star Wars and any of the Thrawn books by Timothy Zahn are great if you happen to like that universe.

7. Awesome! I’m glad to see someone say that. That book has been on my list a while and because of length I haven’t pulled the trigger on it. I suppose I’m gonna have to grab me a copy soon and get going on it. The movie they did in the early 2000s was really good and that’s what got me interested as I knew that if the movie was that good the 1000 page book must be phenomenal.[/QUOTE]

8. Freedom_from_PMO

Freedom_from_PMO Fapstronaut

Hey OP, if you like memoirs I recommend Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger, memoir of a german infantry officer serving on the western front of World War I.

A man of culture. The God That Failed is a great read.

TheBigJ likes this.
  9. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I've been reading The Shining by Stephen King lately. Good stuff.

10. Kevin Logan

Kevin Logan Fapstronaut

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
    Odyssey of homer

11. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

Can anyone recommend a good adventure book, not based on Homer or anything Greek?