1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone actually watch these airings of old sporting events?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Mistersofty, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

I understand that all sporting events are on hold and the media is trying put something out there for viewers. But I personally don’t understand why anyone would want to watch a football game from two years ago when you already know the outcome. I mean, that’s the main reason we watch sports...for the suspense, the excitement of not knowing who’s gonna win. Hell, even if a game is live, I’ll shut it off when I know for sure that the losing team is not coming back. I guess it might be entertaining if you never saw it or actually forgot who won.

2. BigBadWolf_27

BigBadWolf_27 Fapstronaut

I personally like to watch some archive events even when I know the outcome. For example I recently watched some EURO 2000 matches, only to feel that atmosphere, experience the history on myself, I can said. I agree with you, it's nice to actually feel the emotions of live events, but there is plenty of other reasons why to try some past ones :). It's just individual case.

Mistersofty likes this.
  3. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

Maybe I might watch if it was a truly classic game but I don't care so much about sports nowadays. I do listen to some sports podcasts still but not as much as I used to.

Mistersofty likes this.
  4. Nopes! To even see a small soccer gif opens a gaping wound in my chest. I miss playing and being active.

Mistersofty likes this.
  5. chris555

chris555 Fapstronaut

Yeah I will watch classic hockey games every once and a while. Honestly I don't watch today's hockey because I can't stand what they did to the game.

The NHL just seems like a cheap gimmick to me now. Hockey highlights constantly are showing what sportscasters call the alley oop and let me tell you if I wanted to see that I would just watch basketball.

Modern sports now bend over backwards for the casual fans and usually what casual fans want are high goal scoring games. So the NHL has changed certain rules and started calling more penalties to try and increase scoring. It's the equivalent of the NBA with their endless unnecessary foul calls.

I would rather watch a lower scoring game rather then changing the rules so there's more goals and that's why I will watch classic hockey and sports in general if I watch any.

On top of that they have totally wussified the sport which doesn't sit well with me at all either.

6. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

I agree on the classic hockey. I used to be a huge fan back when I was young and we still had the whalers. Hockey was super popular back in the eighties and nineties. I think it has really gone down hill sadly. I don’t know much about the changes they made with the rules but I think they did away with the two line pass if I’m not mistaken. I never liked that rule to be honest.
    The rule changes in football are definitely getting out of hand. I understand that they have to protect the players, but it’s gotten to the point where the games are getting too long and drawn out, allowing for yet more advertising. I actually did bring myself to watch part of a vintage Super Bowl game the other day, just because it brought back memories and it was nice to hear the voice of good old John madden again.
    I generally don’t watch NBA games just because I prefer college basketball, but that’s another sport that used to be much more physical back in the day.

7. chris555

chris555 Fapstronaut

Yeah I hate that they took the two line pass rule. I used to love watching how all the teams had to make creative short passes and skate the puck to get the puck in the offensive zone. Now all they do is shoot it up ice and then tip the puck in it's very tedious and boring to watch.

On top of that I lost what little interest I had in the nhl when the fired Don Cherry. The way the did it was extremely disrespectful (doing it on remembrance day) and just turned me off the sport entirely. Honestly getting tired of all the Anti White propaganda in all North American sports leagues I think it's just better if I stay away from them.

Honestly getting tired of Anti white culture in general.

8. chris555

chris555 Fapstronaut

Old time hockey they used to call it war on ice.

9. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

I really haven’t noticed lately. I know it was getting bad a couple years ago.

10. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

Yeah, I remember those days when they just let the players have at it. It was even worse before that. I remember the days when Bob Probert was on the ice. That guy was a goon!

11. chris555

chris555 Fapstronaut

Yeah that game was policed by the players themselves. I like how back in those days if a player was doing cheap shots the refs would stand back as that guy got pummeled. Now the refs protects players like that which is why cheap shots keep happening.

Bob Probert was not just a goon he actaully put the puck in the net pretty regularly.

12. Mistersofty

Mistersofty Fapstronaut

You’re right. But I have to assume that the organization has to protect itself as well.
    There was actually a documentary on I believe Netflix or maybe amazon about Bob Probert. Don’t know if you saw it but it was a good watch. Apparently the man was just as reckless off the ice.

13. chris555

chris555 Fapstronaut

I can't watch it I don't have netflix anymore lol not a big fan of their programming. Yeah I did hear he was a fighter though but I don't know what to believe and what not to believe. You have to remember being the toughest guy in the NHL was a curse in a sense.

Not only would every hockey tough guy coming into the league would want to test his fighting skills against Bob but I would imagine every drunken up bar hopper would also want to prove themselves against him. In other words I think he would have been constantly harassed to fight whenever he was out and maybe that's why he did such things.

Derek Boogard had the exact same problem.