1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Dry Fasting for Self-Knowledge

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Know Thyself

Thus read the famous inscription which faced votaries coming to worship in the temple of Apollo at Delphi. Of late, I have been reflecting on self-knowledge, what it means, and how I block myself or have stopped myself from acquiring such knowledge.

The following quotes have been helpful to me on the topic:

“Knowing thyself is the beginning of all wisdom.” - Aristotle

“I must first know myself. To be curious about that which is not my concern, while I am still in ignorance of my own self, would be ridiculous.” - Plato

“Know thyself, and thou shalt know the universe and God.” - Pythagoras

Two of the most effective ways I have practiced blocking self-knowledge over the course of my life, are addictive eating and addictive sexuality. (I define the latter, borrowing from Buber, as an I-it relationship, rather than a real and true I-Thou relationship.)

Among the most powerful of all spiritual practices I have utilized toward self-knowledge, freedom, and effective prayer, is dry fasting.

Dry fasting means to abstain from imbibing anything: no food, no water, no nothing. It is one of the oldest, most well-recorded, and time-tested spiritual practices in all of human history, and has become a favorite of mine.

Today, I am on day one of this particular dry fast, approaching 16 hours.

Looking forward to the insight, purification, joy, peace, stillness, wonderment and clarity which are surely to come!

If anyone wishes to know about how to dry fast in order to do so, I am more than happy to support and enlighten as much as I am able, from my own experience.

It has been said that if one can achieve a 5 day dry fast, there is no addiction on earth that can enslave such a one. During the past 100 day streak of mine, I have had the joy of doing multiple 1, 2, 3, and 5 day dry fasts. I hope that saying is true, for me at least.

I find that coming back again and again to dry fasts, periodically, is such a profound source of spiritual and moral strength, that I am deeply comforted just to be on day 1 (hour 16) of this dry fast.

Iasitasya and Deleted Account like this.
  2. So curious about some considerations and preps for a dry fast because at a 5 day length of time I have to assume there will be some muscle degradation and some risks for organs and bodily functions.
    What benefits are you looking for?
    Is the purpose just for mental strength?
    What is the prep?
    What is recommending during fast? (Avoid moderate-intense exercise?)
    How to break the fast?

Just curious. I don't see a time when I could fit in a 5 day fast (or would want to) but a 3 day one may be something to try

3. Good questions!

For most people, a 3 day dry fast is plenty. . .and very powerful.

Here are the benefits I seek:

Physical healing on any and every level needed. (The body knows what to do, we just watch in amazement!)
    Peace and quiet in my soul, and a sense of harmony and being at one with the flow of everything good and right.
    Spiritual clarity, strength, focus, boost in intelligence and in my ability to trust myself. (This last one is huge.)
    Handling of any concern or issue that I feel I would like resolved.

The purpose is not only for mental strength, but for a holistic improvement. Both the body and the soul benefit profoundly, in ways that are hard to believe, until one has actually tried this. (I was reluctant even to learn about dry fasting, at first.)

Preparation for dry fasting is, in my opinion, something like the following.

1. Physical

Have some experience with juice fasting, water fasting, and being in ketosis before doing any dry fasting. Also, make room for some quiet and less activity in your life during the fasting period. It is possible to work normally (I do) while fasting strictly, but this comes with practice.

2. Psychological/Informational

Learn about fasting. Read parts of the (badly translated) book by Dr. Filonov on dry fasting. Read blogs, watch youtube videos, read books by people with years of fasting experience, such as Herbert Shelton, Norman Walker, Jason Fung, and others.

Connecting with others who regularly dry fast is VERY effective, when it comes to just getting that this is possible. There is more than one approach, but I have discovered what all of the best approaches seem to have in common.

Relax around this idea. If you are looking forward to a fast - not in a crazy way, but with a joyous, peaceful kind of anticipation - that's a good sign, in my experience.

3. Spiritual

Have your own reasons for fasting. Using it to kick PMO is perfect. BUT, have some creative/spiritual/personal reasons too. You might feel that you need clarity around your career, perhaps you'd like to improve your performance in school or at work, or you'd like to figure out something about romantic relationships. I find that using the fasting periods as a way to learn and grow on a spiritual level is actually the MOST important aspect. Otherwise, it may be that dry fasting is too high a hill to climb.

I assure you, the benefits are beyond what you might expect. This can get you wonderful results, but it should be done with careful attention, and by those who are well-informed.

(Informational note: though dry fasting has been studied in medicine for years in Russia, it is only recently being studied by Western doctors. The very first study I could find on dry fasting was just published. It was a five day dry fast, and each subject was medically supervised and measured multiple times per day, to ensure no ill effects. The conclusion was that there are ONLY positive health benefits, and that dry fasting is a safe, acceptable, beneficial practice for adults.)

To prepare myself, I prefer to each a ketogenic diet (which I like anyway, most of the time). A body in ketosis has an easy time fasting. . .it's better than magic, actually. Also, I drink lots of water (more than normal) on the day before the fast, a gallon or more. Also, I find that it's best to avoid any kind of caffeine for days before a dry fast.

Side note: my diet is very clean, and I am in excellent health. This makes fasting way, way easier. Ketosis is how you will survive during the fast. Hence, those who are experienced with eating ketogenically and being in ketosis have an easier time. But. . .high carb people can and do extended dry fasts as well. (I have experience with a wide variety of dietary options, and have learned lots about my body in this process. This too makes fasting easier.)

During the fast, I may exercise normally on the first day, but after that I don't think it's wise, beyond moderate walking, as you feel like it. Some people may do a bit more, but this is highly individual. Error (if error you must) on the side of doing less, but walking is almost always a good idea. I can walk to work and to do shopping for every day of the dry fast. Also, I rest and nap when I need to, if I feel that need.

After a dry fast, the way you should break the fast (in my opinion) varies depending upon the length.

If you have done a 3 day dry fast, break it like this:

Have some clean (ideally spring) water which you have frozen and allowed to melt. Sip the water, and enjoy the amazing experience that it will be! (This is awesome, btw.)

After you've sipped and enjoyed some water like that, pour yourself 8 to 10 ounces of water, and stir in a heaping teaspoon of baking soda (bicarbonate soda). Drink this, gently, but finish the glass.

Then, continue to sip water for 2-3 hours, placing pinches of Celtic (or other good) sea salt on your tongue in between glasses of water.

Eat some cucumbers, at a pace which feels right to you. (You might eat one or two of them at least.)

A bit later, you can eat a simply meal, such as a piece of fish, broiled in butter.

Eat the cleanest, simplest foods you can, for at least 2-3 days after your fast. You can also drink plenty of water, as your body guides you.

Some good meals, each line is one meal:

A large steak, cooked in butter, sprinkled with salt (that's it)

some watermelon, cut into chunks

stewed or steamed vegetables, whichever ones agree with your body and your palate

mashed potatoes or yams, with butter or olive oil

steamed or pan fried fish

cucumber salad, with lemon juice

At each bite of food after the fast, pay attention to your body and to your intuition. You will know what to do. If you need help or have more questions, feel free to send me a direct message!

4. Thanks this is great information and something I will definitely review and try.

Physically I have been working on my body in spurts over the past 4 years to get back down to a fitness level like in college, which included about 45lbs weight I've lost from my heaviest.
    Been doing a bunch with intermittent fasting, keto, and research into macro/micro nutritional needs, but great to get some general info on transitionary diets for extended or more extreme fasting styles.
    So I think Im gonna give this a shot this weekend...need some me time to focus on my breakup career, and just reiterate to myself I can accomplish something

5. You're the man, and you've got this! I am here for you, if I can be of use to you in any way. :)

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. You might want to have a look at the work of John Rose and Robert Morse if you want to get into fasting.

Steak is a class 2 carcinogen according to the World Health Organisation by the way, I'd rather break my fast eating some plums. Otherwise, you have provided great information though, toneandtenor.

7. Hey, thanks a lot. I quite familiar with that particular claim of the WHO. Utter pathological nonsense is what it turns out to be, upon investigation. (By the way, I was a strict vegan for more than four years, and a raw vegan for part of that time. I have experience with and have also investigated the science around many, many approaches to eating. The anti-meat propaganda is simply anti-life and wrong, or so I have discovered. This isn't the place for such topics, so I'll leave it off.)

I like John Rose actually, though I have more experience with his work than I do with Robert Morse. Generally, I like John's simple, food-based approach, based upon personal work of his own. But. . .they are more relevant to those in earlier stages of fasting, such as juice fasting (or juice feasting, as John likes to say), and water fasting. I have done such practices for years, and they helped to prepare me for dry fasting. Without that experience, dry fasting would have been virtually impossible for me to even approach. But with respect to dry fasting, my impression is that neither of them have much experience or personal understanding to share.

If you do a Youtube search on dry fasting, you might be pleasantly surprised at how much attention is now being given to dry fasting. Not all approaches work equally well, and one must be thorough about learning what needs to be learned, before embarking on a dry fast (especially a longer one). But, there is some very good work being done around this presently, for which I am grateful.

8. Dry Fast Day Two, Hour 38

Though I had an allergic reaction last week that I had not experienced that way since my teen years, just into the second day of the dry fast, and I have almost fully recovered! It's amazing how well I slept, how much energy and life and goodness I am starting to feel flowing around and through my body. Also, I find myself having taken the action on my investments (finances) and on my schoolwork (for a degree in screenwriting) which I had been putting off and worrying about. It's amazing how the energy of me is simply released upon what concerns me in life when I am fasting! Love it!

9. Dry Fast Day Three, Hour 59

That I am approaching 60 hours of eating no food and drinking no water - indeed of being nourished entirely from within myself, without exogenous sustenance besides what comes to me in the air and via sunlight - is a sort of quiet miracle, for me.

When I contemplate what's possible in life, I think of people who have climbed mountains, run long distance races, swum ocean channels and created great art. But what of cessations? What of abstinence from experiences of materiality, in order to achieve mastery over the corporeal realm, and to further explore, understand, appreciate and work with one's own nature?

I find that there is a peaceful sensation of resting within the flow of life, within the flow of being, and the ineffable, unknowable Mystery from which our existence arises.

The goals I have for myself around sexual sobriety, chastity, abstinence, purification, as well as around creativity, spiritual growth, prayer, and being a contribution to others in the unique way I am meant to be all seem to flow quite naturally from within a fasted state.

Now. . .to be able to realize such a flow when I am eating and drinking. . .there's a real challenge, around which I need some planning and foresight.

10. Side note coming up to hour 64: I just filled the freezer with water, which I shall be drinking to break the fast, and put some water in the refrigerator too. Water never looked so appealing! One of the blessings of dry fasting, is that even pure water seems to become much more delicious. . .somehow! Thanks be to God.

11. I’m a proponent of fasting but I would advise against abstaining from water for longer than 24 hours. During a fast your body is processing stored fuel, replenishing gut flora and basically “cleaning up” on a cellular level. To all this efficiently and effectively, water is needed. Some folks do tea (no sweetness or other things added) but just plain ole Watters is fine.

12. I agree, I do not think it is advisable to most to go much longer than a 24 hour period. However, I think you can extend the benefits without increasing negative risks, with some proper preparation and habits during a dry fast. @toneandtenor I believe has taken the proper steps to do this.
    I have been investigating myself and have started a personal dry fast for 24-36 hours having put together a proper meal plan and hydration schedule together the past few days.
    https://www.perfectketo.com/dry-fasting/

13. 5 day fast once or twice a year is a good thing, just do it with some H2O.

Make fapstronaut strong, like bull.

14. Spoony

Spoony Fapstronaut

60 hours without water ? madness.

15. Wow 60 hours without water I never say something cannot be done but I wouldn't start a fast like that without building up to it , I have thought about a 3 day fast with just drinking water but every time I think about doing it someone invites me to eat or brings food to me its strange

16. Dry Fast, hour 70, insight log:

Going into my 3 hours of teaching this afternoon (I give private voice lessons to many different kinds of singers, in virtually any musical style), I was feeling a bit tired. After I finished at 8:30 pm, I felt amazing, having plenty of energy, focus, and pleasant sensations all through my body. I reflected on this scripture, and saw new meaning in it:
    John 4:31b-34
    "His disciples prayed him, saying, Master, eat. But he said unto them, I have meat to eat that ye know not of. Therefore said the disciples one to another, Hath any man brought him ought to eat? Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work."

I know that when I am teaching, using my own God-given musical powers to strengthen and develop the musical powers of others, unto their highest good, I am indeed doing the will of my Father in heaven. This does provide sustenance, in a real, physical, tangible sense! Thanks be to God.

17. Good evening
    Good for you! Excellent path you're taking.

18. A 48 hour dry fast is a good starting point. However, you might first try to go only 24 hours, drinking only water. Once you've done that a handful of times, you can build up your fasting skills.

19. Dry Fast, Day 4, Hour 80

Now I am noticing the kind of energy surplus which is a challenge to manage well. This tends to happen, as a euphoric state is highly normative after the first three days of a dry fast.

I have a project to finish which is not due until late Sunday. But as I am breaking this fast on Saturday morning, and hence have this surplus of psychic energy until then, I would really like to use this clarity and intensity of thought to finish this thing. It happens to be a multimedia presentation on mythology, and I might even post a link here, if I am feeling that it is sufficiently up to my own standards.

Enjoying the calm, peaceful, wonderment of being!

I noticed that I moved through my morning prayers today with less distraction from outside thoughts.

20. Informational note for those interested: I use Vora, a free fast-tracking app for Android, to keep track of my fasts. That's how I know exactly what hour I am on at any moment. It helps immensely, and by looking at the numbers ticking by, adding up more and more time that I am in this (dry) fasted state, I find a certain appreciation and gratitude for what I am able to do, for what my body is capable of, that seems to accrue naturally. Also, if I have a moment of weakness and would like to drink some water or whatever else the thought may be, looking at how long I've been fasting, and then being able to easily calculate how long I have to go before breaking the fast is very motivating, and keeps me on the right track.

If you have an iPhone, you can choose from either Vora or Zero. Android users, Vora only.