1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting first job journey/advice

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by a3a, Nov 26, 2016.

1. a3a

a3a Fapstronaut

Hello, I was wondering if you guys could offer me some guidance in the context of getting your first job.

I have some really bad social anxiety but, I am trying to work through and finally make some money.

I've applied to the following places so far

Harris Teeter
    Wendy’s
    Food Lion
    Dominos
    Pizza Hut
    Menchies

2. a3a

a3a Fapstronaut

I had a missed call from Wendy's about a hour ago they left a voicemail saying they were interested in setting up a interview. I need to call back but, I am tensing up right now because of anxiety.

3. Kuxx20

Kuxx20 Fapstronaut

Don't overthink it buddy. You are a capable person. When you get an interview, it all about showing them that you are worth the shot. Employers will usually look for a team player and someone that will put it in the work. For a first job, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You will gain knowledge and experience with time. Go forth and be successful!

4. douggie1962

douggie1962 Fapstronaut

It's like learning to ride a bike. Once you get your first job under your belt, so will get better and better with time and practice.

Be Strong My Friend.

5. I'm gonna watch this thread too.

a3a likes this.
  6. a3a

a3a Fapstronaut

I did 2 minutes of a guided meditation to cool me down and went to my closet. I wrote the task down so, I knew I had to get it done.

I also wrote an affirmation saying you have nothing to worry about and I'm going to destroy this shit! I called back she was already currently on the phone.

I said this was ....... and she said to come in for an interview on Monday. I am proud of myself.

Even if it is fast food it isn't in a bad location or a busy one for that matter. And, I can quit whenever I want and get a better job because I will have experience..

Thank you, @douggie1962 and @Kuxx20 I was really anxious and still am but, I am going to get it done.

Headspace likes this.
  7. douggie1962

douggie1962 Fapstronaut

You are welcome, but let me offer you this.

Do not quit - Quitters only learn how to quit. Keep that job and gain strength through the experience. Stay at least 90 days, then you can apply for other jobs as it is always easier to get a new job when you have a current job. Employers avoid those who hop from job to job.

Be Strong My Friend.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Warrior Within and a3a like this.
  8. a3a

a3a Fapstronaut

Thanks for the advice will do!

9. a3a

a3a Fapstronaut

I will be updating this throughout my job hunt and post a update on here first if anything happens!

10. a3a

a3a Fapstronaut

Today, I am going to see if I can find another place to apply to and if I can't find another one I will do some research on interviews.

11. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Congratulations for dealing with your anxiety, man. I don't know if it's the same for you, but calling people is my weakest spot when it comes to my inter-social confidence. It has happened multiple times that before making important calls, be it official or private, I am capable of sitting on my bed for like half an hour.

12. a3a

a3a Fapstronaut

I just finished applying to Five Guys. I figured I would keep the momentum flowing with the applying because you never know what opportunities could arise. Before tommorow's interview which is after school I am going to visualize the interview to help me. It should go well though. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

13. a3a

a3a Fapstronaut

Yeah, it's a problem point for me as well. I don't have many contacts and I usually text them nowadays besides my parents.

14. a3a

a3a Fapstronaut

Been reading a lot online about the interview process. It seems like you come in to the location and sit in the looby. You wait in there and I've heard they ask you if you want a drink.

They said the interview is usually pretty laid back. It seems like almost everyone who did the interview got the job from the glassdoor site.

If I do get it I am actually going to be excited because I've been craving for some mula in the last year. It will also help me on my journey for staying busy on the weekends.

15. a3a

a3a Fapstronaut

Interview today. It'll be right after I get off the bus. I'll have time to do my visualization and mediation though.

16. douggie1962

douggie1962 Fapstronaut

Be ready for the interview question: "What would describe as one of your weaknesses?" The trick here is to describe a positive as if it is a weakness. For example: "I tend to be a perfectionist at times, but then I have to tell myself that when I am working on a team that I have to just help everyone do their best"

You've got this.

Be Strong My Friend.

17. Noelle

Noelle Fapstronaut

Imagine your interviewer with his clothes off (unless he's a hot guy!) :)

18. Low

Low Fapstronaut

I have really bad social anxiety too but it has been a lot better after starting my first job

19. a3a

a3a Fapstronaut

What was your first?

20. Low

Low Fapstronaut

Im clean up at an assembly plant.