1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Have you recovered from another addiction?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Ask1, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Ask1

Ask1 Fapstronaut

Has anyone recovered from another addiction but is struggling with this one?

I gave up red bull or energy drinks immediately after the dentist told me off
    Used to have them everyday for 12 years and quit 5 years ago. Had 5 cans in 2017 but that was it. It was all a mental hype with the caffeine. Didn't need it and don't have caffeine anymore.

Trying to use that success to quit MO but struggling.

Revanthegrey likes this.
  2. This might sound silly, but I got addicted to a particular sweet cream that I would always put in my coffee. I started to see how it affected my mornings when I had it with my morning cup of coffee. So I laid off. It was harder than I thought. That taste was a part of my daily morning routine, and then it was gone.

Trying to stop jacking-off every morning(or night) is freakin' murder sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2022
    Ask1 likes this.
  3. Revanthegrey

Revanthegrey Fapstronaut

Yes , from the videogames

BrighterFuture and Kingfisher like this.
  4. Ask1

Ask1 Fapstronaut

I get the urge to relapse when things don't go my way or something messes up. In fact the longer I abstain I find it easier not to relapse because something else hasn't gone my way or done properly.

Mind you eating healthy improves the quality and taste of sperm. My geeky ex told me this and she'd know if I had good food or bad.

5. Ask1

Ask1 Fapstronaut

Video games aren't that bad, you can make a living off it. I find it amusing just how some guys like to watch sex than do it, there's plenty on Facebook that would rather watch a gamer than play themselves!

I'd only play GTA though.

6. Be the exception

Be the exception Fapstronaut

Yeah it more than likely had hidden MSG in it.

7. Actually I've quit this one but not others. I can say codependency but that was not so much an addiction as a huge blind spot. My AP who is a retired addiction therapist finally decided to stop asking me if there's PMO because he can see there's really no question about it anymore. I'm not sure how to talk about it because I don't think people can really believe the compulsion can be gone.

BTW I also think it's a mistake to frame it as discreet things to quit. That may be an easy way to think about it but if someone has the whack-a-mole thing then there's something underlying the particular behaviors, I think it's just a superficial view to check off different addictive behaviors. It is true there are unique aspects to PMO and having that gone is a big deal but both the general addictive tendency and the specific sexually related things have to be addressed.

8. SquidCook

SquidCook Fapstronaut

I would not call it an addiction per se, but I did stop eating excessively. Back in the day I would regularly have snacks or deserts in between meals and the meals I ate were pretty large too. Unfortunately, this meant that I was rather pudgy during my teen years. So I started eating only when I'm truly hungry, started counting my calories and also stopped adding sugar to my tea. It has worked pretty well for me as my body weight went down from ~83 kg to ~73 kg in a year.

Ask1 likes this.
  9. Addictus

Addictus Fapstronaut

Cigarettes. Haven’t had one in 12 yrs.

Revanthegrey likes this.
  10. 88991s

88991s Fapstronaut

Video games, quit playing since January 2021. I never felt the need to go back.

11. Stoneberry

Stoneberry New Fapstronaut

Gave up my video-game addiction. Parents took my laptop away for a few months and my interest eventually faded.