1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you learn to tolerate others' negative energy?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Les_Brown, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Les_Brown

Les_Brown Fapstronaut

I am currently making significant progress on my reboot. My brain fog has lifted, I am no longer objectifying women, and my mood improves every day. However, I have found that I am growing less tolerant of people who have a negative outlook on life and express negative energy. These people remind me of the way I used to be when I engaged in PMO and hated myself.

I understand that it is best to stay away from negative people. But, I am currently a student in university and I have to work on a semester-long project with a team of other students. I can tolerate everyone in the team, except for one student who has the most negative outlook about class, life, and others' opinions that I have ever seen. I have expressed to this individual that his attitude detracts from the energy of the group and changes the atmosphere of our team dynamics. However, he dismissed my claim.

I know that I can't change people who are not willing to change themselves. So, are there any strategies for coping/dealing with negative people? I find my energy changing when I am around this energy, but I would like to learn how to maintain a positive attitude in this student's presence.

2. I Free I

I Free I Guest

I can tell you from experience that dealing with negative energy can be depressing at times, especially for me since i grew up around pessimistic and negative people. But the great part about it, it can build you up if you let it. instead of looking at it as an obstacle, look at the situation as a lesson... learn from the man, understand why he seems so negative and alter that energy from a negative into a positive... it might, just might help him for the moment if he's paying attention on how your taking things in positively. You never always want to force something upon anyone or anything, sometimes you have to let moments in life flow to you and through you. you can't be everything to everyone BUT you can be anything to anyone. look at the situation from a 3rd person perspective and you'll understand that those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
    Believe.

3. People can either be obstacles or opportunities for personal growth. This persons negative energy has no power to ruin your day or progress unless you permit it. I don't even like calling energy negative. Energy in my opinion is neutral and can either be used or unused. This persons energy is there waiting to be used for something positive.

One thing which has helped me greatly when dealing with difficult people is remembering that for the most part the majority of people are good hearted people going through tough times. We've all had our days, months, and even years. This person is probably a good person who's dealing with a lot of stress, and maybe if you approached him with concern, he might open up to you. If he declines the invitation to talk then don't push further. Just keep a good outlook towards the person and continue to treat him like how you would want to be treated during a dark time in your life.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016
    FightingItRough likes this.
  4. CaptinCaveMan

CaptinCaveMan Fapstronaut

I've felt like a positive person and then realized that some people viewed me as a negative person or I wasn't making them happy. So their are levels and/or degrees. Additionally people are selfish. Misery loves company. I guess their are different tools to deal with negative people. One is to avoid them. That's what happens a lot of the time. One doesn't see people that are happy and cheerful at a NAMI meeting. Sucks too. Being depressed and being around more depressed people doesn't equal a whole hell of a lot of happiness.

I guess accepting it and trying to understand where some ones negativity is coming from is challenging and can be rewarding if one can meet them were they are at. Also, back to the selfish thing. Some people feed off of others negative energy. It's basically how Alcoholics Anonymous was formed. Bill Wilson got sober and used all the other drunks to keep his ass sober the rest of his life. That's a bit sick but it's a path I guess.

It's a good idea to think about it. It's likely we'll all wear both hats several times in this life time. How we treat others sometimes reflects back on ourselves and we can truly see if we are a positive or negative person.

Lots of different people out their too. So one hat doesn't fit them all. Think of different ways to cope.