1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How much weight is considered low ?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jul 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nofepper

nofepper Fapstronaut

depends on height, also height is not only thing here, big role play ratio muscle:fat...if you don't have so much muscles and have much fat your weight is maybe ideal, but you can still look chubby

2. This will vary depending on the individual. I wouldn't follow the BMI method since it's pretty stupid. My trainer is ripped but according to the BMI method he's obese. When people talk about weight they usually forget you have both lean body mass and body fat and that your weight factors both of these into the equation. Losing weight doesn't always mean you're losing fat. Most people become skinny fat. The best thing to do to find out how much body fat you have would be to get a DEXA scan.

When it comes to body fat % for men, you can see a visual representation below. I would consider anything below 3-4% to be too low and impossible to achieve. Although, there is always death which will result in 0% bf over time. ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2017
    Gamebred305 likes this.
  3. I Free I

I Free I Guest

My doctor says I'm a healthy weight although I am skinny but I take care of my body by going to the gym,sports,eating healthy,etc. etc.

I'm 5'11 and 147 pounds with 8 % body fat . That's very light but I am at a normal weight .

4. thatoneguy123

thatoneguy123 Fapstronaut

5. I personally don't like the idea of a healthy weight range, because it can be extremely misleading. There is a healthy body fat % range, but your weight can vary wildly at the same body fat % depending on the amount of muscle you carry.

Let's just say 145lbs is billed as the ideal weight for a height of say 5'6. Well at 145lbs you could be crazy dangerously lean like 5% body fat, with a lot of muscle. Or you could be like 27% body fat, overweight, and have almost zero muscle mass. Or you could be somewhere in the middle, with a good amount of muscle, while being relatively lean. The first and second options would be unhealthy, despite being the "ideal weight", while option 3 would be healthy.

So in my opinion look at your body fat %, not your weight. It's also easier then to see if you're healthy because the same healthy body fat % numbers apply to anyone, regardless of height/weight.

In my opinion the healthy ranges would be something like: from 6% to 20% body fat for a guy is "okay", 7% to 18% is "healthy", and like 9% to 14% is ideal/the absolutely most healthy for most people.

Above 20% isn't particularly healthy. You can get up to like 25-27% body fat before it starts negatively affecting things like your heart etc but I'm including sexual health in this, and so even long before that it's not ideal for optimal hormone levels since more fat == more testosterone getting converted to estrogen.

Below 6% isn't healthy either, MUCH less healthy than the opposite (i.e. too high body fat %) actually. There's also a very sharp drop off, at 4-5% you're in dangerously low levels of body fat, and anything below that you're risking (and we're talking an extremely high/almost certain risk) organ failure and death.

PS I didn't include ranges for women because I'm unfortunately not as familiar with their healthy body fat ranges, but their ranges tend to be on the higher side since due to differences in physical make up, hormone balance etc, women store more fat on their legs, ass, breasts, etc and so a lean woman might be 18-20% body fat, while for a guy that's just an average dad-bod type level of body fat.

Kenzi likes this.
  6. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

I'd like to add that I'm considered healthy at 90lbs.
    I'm 5'0"
    And female.
    If you just looked at me, I'm sure you wouldn't guess my exact weight.
    I'm also considered healthy for my height, according to my doctors, they say, even if I lose 5lbs.