1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I have this problem...

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by agus, Jan 19, 2021.

1. agus

agus Fapstronaut

TL;DR: I take up too many hobbies, and would like some resources on the matter that may help me overcome this

So i was binging the YouTube Cobra Kai series with my younger sister while I started to want to go to Karate classes again. Whats the problem with that you say, whats wrong with Karate? Well i think i have a problem in which i like to take up too many hobbies. I don't know if it has a name, don't know how to google it for more info, hell i can't even look it up on reddit since i blocked it for NoFap purposes. So this forum was the first place that came to my mind to speak about this. For some background, I'm in my mid 20's and since i was a child i was very creative, but also an introverted, quiet kid. And I still am of course. I'll try to make it short and focus on the too many hobbies part.
    There was a time in my life that i was a true loser, i didn't think i could accomplish anything, so i did nothing but sit all day playing video games. At some point i went to the opposite direction, i started to believe in myself, believe that i could accomplish anything I wanted. But with this new mindset came this new obstacle: too many hobbies instead of focusing on a few at a time. I did Karate and other martial arts but at a beginner level, i like learning languages so i learnt English, Italian, Russian and tried a bunch of other tongues i really like the idea of becoming a polyglot. i went to swimming, yoga, salsa, gym, aerobics. A few months ago i bought a nice bicycle because i wanted to try mountain biking with my girlfriend, and yesterday i bought a surfboard to take up surfing even if I'm 1 hour driving to the closest beach. In high-school i couldn't decide what path to pick (where i live we pick kind of a specialization for the two years before college) so i choose both arts and law (yes this is kind of stupid, literally no one does that). I have a Technical degree in graphic design. I studied violin for 5 years as an adult trying to become a professional musician, but gave up.
    Right now I'm at college again studying International Affairs, and here is where the problem hits harder because on top of that i work a part time job. So here i am wanting to do all that stuff but telling myself i don't have time, that i have to focus on university, but also find myself doing nothing and procrastinating, and this is really hard to put in words but there is a weird thing happening in my mind in which i cant decide what to do from all that, that i end up doing nothing, and it's really frustrating. So i figured out this thing must have a name in psychology, so maybe some of you might know some resource that you can share to me so that i can research a bit, and maybe find some help. Probably i need therapy, idk.
    Writing all this shit in English is making my head hurt too, so I'm gonna work out now.

I hope someone has the time to read this and can lend me a hand

2. GeeJ

GeeJ Fapstronaut

I was thinking it could be some kind of obsessive disorder.
    ADHD or something.
    What is it indecisiveness or something?

3. agus

agus Fapstronaut

Yeah, its like a desire of doing everything, that is impossible to fill. Sometimes it ends achieving some good results but most of the time ends up in nothing. Or maybe it's just me being a bit too much worried about things

4. GeeJ

GeeJ Fapstronaut

As you mentioned try and focus on a few unless this current style is beneficial for your life. Their was a guy who had ADHD on here and his behavioural pattern was to have a lot of things on the go but he could manage it because his condition allowed him to do that.

5. Bilok

Bilok New Fapstronaut

That is also a problem of the whole my life, did you find the solution?

6. agus

agus Fapstronaut

no...