1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is sugar linked to cravings?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by DannyCool, Oct 17, 2016.

1. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

My AP and I have noticed that when we are off sugar our craving or urges drop lots and lots. This has made streaks a lot easier. Does anybody else know anything about this.

aspirant likes this.
  2. Credo

Credo Guest

I know that sugar has been said to have the same effect on your brain as cocaine so it would make since that it could stimulate/trigger other addictions.

I've been low carb for about 10 months and it's really helped me. Sure I still struggle, but not as much as I used to with a high carb diet.

DannyCool likes this.
  3. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

My experience over the last month and a half is amazing. Since I have been off junk food and starchy food carbs you call them my mo cravings have been so much reduced it is unbelievable. I no longer have to make even an effort to not mo all I have to decide is not to do it. That is what I have been wishing for years. Sugar must be linked to our craving society and eliminating it and mo triggers appears to be very helpful indeed. The transition is not easy and the jury is still out. I will have to keep up my discipline.

4. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

The spike from sugar may have linked to the time when I smoked some weed. I think that this brought back the memory of this high and was affecting my brain function. When I no longer have the sugar to bring back the memory my brain does not go into hyper happy mode anymore! It was like I was on a constant high being positive but looking for an addiction to feed it. I remember even when I was small having addictive behaviours money, collection cards and girls. All these got me into trouble not because of any of the three things but because I viewed them in the wrong way. That addictive side of my brain has to be freed if I want to end objectification and addiction to pleasing my senses as a way of happiness.

5. I am working on cutting out energy drinks from my diet. I noticed a couple months ago when I'd drink one a day, I did gain weight and feel hyped up. Other factors can contribute to my weight gain. I believe a healthier lifestyle and diet will do wonders to help end PMO addiction.

DannyCool likes this.
  6. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

It does make it easier. I also find working on my anger very helpful. Desire does lead to anger but if I see anger is pointless then there is no point getting involved with desire and addictions as they will only lead to disappointment and frustration. This habit of getting angry and wanting the world to be my way has caused me a lot of suffering. Sugar definitely stimulates this and gives that hyped up feel that I cannot really escape which is looking for material satisfaction. This is not reliable at all and often leads me to anger and disappointment.

7. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

ofc it is refined sugar can be just as addictive to fap, for a fulfilling life u need to cut out both :)

DannyCool likes this.
  8. I find that fasting greatly reduces, but not eliminates, cravings which might be related to Maslow's hierarchy of needs so it wouldn't supprise me if eating sugar and other rewarding foods like fats have the opposite effect.

9. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

Cold showers, vigorous exercise, fasting etc are for sure the opposite of eating sugars and fats. It might only take one of these to practice to get use to not indulging in cravings. Sugars though refined sugars have the opposite effect. They go into the bloodstream and increase cravings. Is this true? It seems to be from my experience.

aspirant likes this.
  10. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

Funny enough last night I was in a bad mood and had done a lot of work without much break and went to bed. Of course I had cravings during the night because my mind was not clear. There is more than sugar to all this of course.

11. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

When I was on my first long streak I was recommended to do meditation before I went to sleep. This really worked so I will try it again. The restless mind will get agitated during the night.