1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Is there any reason to get married other than for legal benefits?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Becoming Jasmine, Apr 14, 2020.

1. You know, something else I should mention is this:

I don't necessarily think legal, paper marriage theough the government is important.

It just occurred to me that's an important distinction. There are some legal benefits to being married, of course, but when I speak of "marriage" what I'm picturing is a couple who have made a covenant with God to be together until death parts them. That covenant doesn't have to be made by an officiant, with legal documents, in my opinion.

To me the important distinction between dating and marriage is that official, binding promise, under God. So that being said, I personally don't see much difference between marriage and dating, if the married couple has no issues with the concept of divorce. It just makes it a little bit harder to break up.

I realize that was probably important to mention. It's always good to define terms before discussing something, so we aren't confused and talking about two completely different things.

To me, divorce should only be an option in very extreme cases, like abuse or infidelity. If a couple has made a promise to each other to be together until death parts them, to never leave each other unless there is some kind of abuse or infidelity, and they live their lives that way and stay together until death, then honestly, I think those people are "married" in the eyes of God.

I changed my view on this several years ago, when I thought about the fact that all cultures are different, and not every culture has the same legal process of marriage that mine does. Actually, I believe it came from the thought experience of asking myself if Glenn and Maggie, on The Walking Dead, are truly married. Lol because in the middle of the zombie apocalypse, obviously they don't have government institutions like marriage anymore. But they made a vow to each other and I think that counts in the eyes of God.

I would consider a couple like that no different than a married couple, although I would still recommend the government institution of marriage, for the added benefits and for the reason that it will make it easier for them to stay true to their commitment not to break up. That's just good sense, in my opinion. If you think your vow is important and you see going back on a vow to God as a grave problem, I would want to put up as many safe guards against breaking that vow as possible. So getting married officially under the government would be a good idea, because it would make it harder for you to break your vow.

unslaver and GottaBFree like this.
  2. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Lots of real wisdom from @Castielle I highly recommend single people who are skeptical of marriage read the posts a couple of times. Lots of really deep stuff that takes years of work to really understand is in there.

My advice:
    1) Date around and be social.
    2) If you realize someone isn’t right for you for marriage break it off right away.
    3) Wait for that special someone you just want to be around all the time.
    4) Don’t get married until you are ready to go all in.
    5) Have a conversation with your spouse to be to commit to try to both avoid selfishness as much as you can.
    6) Live that way and be happy. It’s awesome to be there for someone unconditionally when they are down and it is humbling in a good way when you are down and they are there for you.

unslaver and Deleted Account like this.
  3. Becoming Jasmine

Becoming Jasmine Fapstronaut

Oh I definitely agree that marriage is usually better when it comes to raising children. I may have forgotten that when I made this thread, but if I do end up getting married someday, it would probably be for that reason. Children need stability after all. Being a parent is something I hope to do someday, and I hope through that at least I can leave the world a bit better than I found it.

It’s interesting that you cite the increased difficulty in separating as a good thing. Since you said you probably wouldn’t have worked through certain issues if you were only dating I mean. I had somewhat of an opposite interpretation, where the issues just never get solved, and everyone just suffers. Most people don’t really want to change anything about themselves for their partner when it comes down to it. At least that’s been my experience so far. But I suppose in the rare case where both people are willing to make sacrifices, it could be better than that.

I fully and totally believe that Jesus was a good, kind person who should not be forgotten, and we should try to follow his example. I'm not so sure how I feel about all the theological "he died for our sins" talk, but at the very least I can get behind learning a lesson of forgiveness from that. Hey, if people can learn to forgive each other more, that could help a relationship work the way you're talking about it. If you can't have fewer arguments, you can at least recover from them better, and move on.

Oh I understand completely. This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. To be honest, sometimes I just want to be proven wrong about things like marriage and humanity in general. I hope my response earlier didn't sound as though I was trying to start a genuine argument. That's not what I'm here for, and I'm sorry if I came off that way.

That's perfectly okay, you haven't too preachy lol. Like I said, I'm agnostic, so I'm not totally opposed to the idea of religion. It's sort of nice to think that there could be someone looking out for you, giving out wisdom in a neat little book to guide you toward a fulfilling, meaningful life that contributes to the world. I might give the old book a look, if only to understand where those who worship it are coming from.

I'll probably take you up on that. The only real reason I made this post public is because I wanted to express my opinions to everyone and not to repeat myself quite as much. Hope you have a good night!

4. If you are open to learning about the lesson part on forgiveness may I suggest a good movie on the subject:
    The Shack Movie Trailer

unslaver and Deleted Account like this.
  5. Becoming Jasmine

That actually looks like a very tender movie. I can definitely relate to the main character, albeit not in quite the same way. Thanks for sending it my way!

unslaver and Arbiter007 like this.
  6. Of course!! :)

May it touch your heart powerfully!

unslaver likes this.
  7. onceaking

onceaking Fapstronaut

I used to want to get married now I don't care for it. I think civil partnerships are better.

unslaver likes this.
  8. there is a book too!

9. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Married here, and no regrets. It doesn't feel a whole lot different than a long term relationship, I suppose, although you reach a point when you know you aren't going to pursue anyone else, and you don't want to either. At least, I did.

Marriage has to be to the right person to make you happy. Even then, you have to keep putting effort in your whole life. It's worth it though! I enjoyed being single well enough but it is so much better having a lovely wife around (and a little baby now).

10. That's super awesome, congratulations to you! :D

11. I would say your experience in that is more common than mine. But again, that's because if people not understanding the purpose of marriage. If both parties understand the purpose of marriage and are committed to their vow to each other, you can resolve most any issue. It takes time and effort, and I'm not going to pretend it's easy. There have been several times I've cried out to God, scared that my husband and I have a different opinion that is just too big to overcome. But I've been wrong every time. Every time I've asked God for help to either change my heart or his, or both, and help us to work things out and either get on the same page or at least understand each other and be able to work out a compromise, God has come through and we've worked things out.

Honestly, I don't think this would all work out the way I'm speaking of without God. I can definitely think of times when I am pretty darn certain without that prayer, my husband would never have come around to understanding me, or I would never have realized I was wrong and apologized, or whatever the case may be. Of course I don't know for sure. It's possible we could have gotten there on our own, but that kind of thing takes an incredible amount of humility, and I can't say I've ever met a human being capable of that amount of humility without God. It's just not something we are naturally inclined to.

Well if you ever want to talk more about that, you know where to find me. Learning lessons from the Bible is good, but it's not half as good as having a relationship with your Creator and having the Holy Spirit within you to guide you and actually change you from the inside out.

Actually, the main purpose of the first portion of the Bible is to show a record of the past in which people were trying to do exactly that. They tried to follow God's law to make themselves righteous, good people, and historically it shows that for thousands of years, they consistently always failed at doing that. We just aren't capable of following all of God's commands in our own. That's why we need Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

It's still good to read, though, like I said. There are good lessons to learn, but the more important thing to glean from the Bible is salvation, atonement for sins, and securing your eternity with God.

I totally get that. And no worries at all, your attitude is clear and positive. I was just a little nervous at first, because people rarely have that attitude in discussions like this, and I'm often accused of trying to force people to bend to my will, when I'm literally just sharing my beliefs and letting them do with it whatever they want. So I just wanted to be clear about that.

I would recommend a guy named Mike Winger on YouTube. He makes videos about apologetics, which is basically a fancy way of saying why we believe what we believe. His knowledge of the Bible is very sound. If you are curious to know what Christians believe and why, his videos about the historicity of the Bible would be a great start.

Also, it is definitely nice and feels good to believe in God, yes, but I just want to point out that that's not what's important. What we feel isn't as important as what is true. For instance, it might be nice to believe that nothing in the world could ever hurt you, but of course that isn't true and would be naive and unwise to believe.

So my belief in Jesus as God doesn't come from feelings. It comes from the evidence. The feelings are an added bonus. :) And I think that's very important for anyone's beliefs. You shouldn't base any major beliefs on what you feel, regardless of whether or not it's true.

And actually, I feel there's somewhat of an argument against believing in God if you are focusing on feelings. Because believing in God and Jesus' sacrifice for your salvation requires you to change your life and make him Lord of your life. Which is a good thing, because it's what you were designed for and it usually feels good to know you are fulfilling a purpose. But there is also a huge aspect of Chrisianity that is focused on doing the right thing, even when it is extremely hard, and knowing your reward will come in the next life, not in this one.

Honestly, if feelings were my only concern, I'm not sure I would choose to follow Jesus. It would be stupid of me, because I would probably never know the true fullness of joy that I know now, but I also wouldn't have to care about not lusting, not having as much sex and gluttony as I want, or any number of worldly pleasures. Of course the richness of God's pleasures are much stronger and deeper, but they don't always feel that way when you're watching your friends do drugs or party or have sex while you are not.

Anyway, sorry, that was a tangent, but I think it's important to mention that my beliefs aren't centered on what feels good. They're centered on the importance of believing truth, even if it doesn't feel good and I don't like it.

You too! :) well, morning now lol

12. I so agree. Lol especially nowadays, the dating world seems insane to me. Occasionally I feel like I miss dating, but then every time I'm talking to people trying to navigate dating I'm like oh, right. That was not as fun as I remember it being. Lol and then my husband and I talk about how glad we are to never have to do that again. Well, assuming neither of us dies young and the other wants to remarry or something.

Becoming Jasmine likes this.
  13. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

I think it depends more on the people involved than it does on wether marriage is objectively good or not. I guess a lot of people don't really understand what living most of the time very intimately with another person really is like or they rush into marrying a person they don't know well enough or they just aren't mature enough to handle such a close relationship. I think it's good that you can see the bad sides of marriage, so you at least won't end up doing that. Maybe one day you'll get to know someone who you'll love enough to see why people choose to marry despite the risks and potential issues.

14. BigBadWolf_27

BigBadWolf_27 Fapstronaut

I like what Jordan Peterson said about marriage.

unslaver and Becoming Jasmine like this.
  15. Becoming Jasmine

For the record, I think Jordan Peterson is a moron (see: his "all meat diet") and a sexist (see: his infamous "charge they phone" tweet). But I can appreciate some of his points here. In particular, he's right that trying to separate with children is a nightmare, and almost never does right for the parents or the children. Step parents can be wonderful, but they tend to be worse than biological parents because they don't have the same bond with the kid. There are exceptions, but the only reason they're showing up is because they like the parent, and the kid and the parent are a package deal. To be honest, a situation like this is part of why I'm not sure marriage would lead to anything good for me or my possible future partner.

BigBadWolf_27 and unslaver like this.

16. Benefits? I thought marriage was supposed to signify your commitment and love to that person, and not something you can profit off, so to speak.

A lot of people say it ruins them, destroys relationships or a bunch of other excuses, but that's definitely not true, while still obviously important it's just a piece of paper. Those people were either already having problems in their relationship to begin with, or most likely were never truly committed in the first place.

I don't see how marriage itself makes you tired or stressed, if anything it should be bringing you closer to your partner.

unslaver and Becoming Jasmine like this.
  17. Becoming Jasmine

Thanks for the response.

Just to clarify, when I said “benefits” I really meant things like being automatically allowed to see your partner if they’re dying in a hospital (some places are really strict about visitors), and some tax benefits. I added that in because I didn’t want to hear those as a response. I wasn’t trying to imply that anyone should get married solely for those. That would be beyond petty and stupid.

I understand that marriage is supposed to be about love and being with your partner for life, but I can’t help but see the cracks in the porcelain statue that is marriage. I could also go on a conspiracy theorist’s rant about how marriage is an attempt by governments and religious leaders to control relationships, but I don’t think that would fit here.

When people are married to each other, they often seem to take each other for granted much more. They know their partner would have a hard time leaving them, so they stop putting in effort to keep them around. This leads to poor behavior, bad communication, etc. I don’t think you need to be having major problems from the get go for things to fall apart. From what I’ve seen, they can easily develop in the new environment.

I’m not so sure marriage is an inherently bad thing, but I can’t help but pick up on patterns I observe among married couples. I’m not trying to argue that it is for certain bad. I’m just saying why I have my doubts about it. The other reason I have is that I’ve learned that whenever someone tells me that something is amazing, and is one of the best parts of being alive, it’s going to be really REALLY awful. But that’s much more subjective than the other one.

unslaver likes this.