1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

IT'S OK

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

We have problems with work, relationships, school, finances, and a million other things, and that is okay.

Our problems are not the problem, our reactions to the problems are the problem.

Brian Tracey at success.com noted the following:

1. Focus on the future.
    “Whatever challenges you face, focus on the future rather than on the past. Instead of worrying about who did what and who is to blame, focus on where you want to be and what you want to do. Get a clear mental image of your ideal successful future, and then take whatever action you can to begin moving in that direction. Get your mind, your thoughts and your mental images on the future.

2. Think about the solution.
    Whenever you’re faced with a difficulty, focus on the solution rather than on the problem. Think and talk about the ideal solution to the obstacle or setback, rather than wasting time rehashing and reflecting on the problem. Solutions are inherently positive, whereas problems are inherently negative.

Take some time to write out every detail of the problem, and then take the most logical next step to solve it. The instant that you begin thinking in terms of solutions, you become a positive and constructive human being.

3. Look for the good.
    Assume that something good is hidden within each difficulty or challenge. Norman Vincent Peale, a major proponent of positive thinking, once said, “Whenever God wants to give us a gift, he wraps it up in a problem.” The bigger the gift you have coming, the bigger the problem you will receive. But the wonderful thing is that if you look for the gift, you will always find it.

4. Seek the lesson.
    Assume that whatever situation you are facing at the moment is exactly the right situation you need to ultimately be successful. This situation has been sent to you to help you learn something, to help you become better, to help you expand and grow.

So seek for the valuable lesson in every adversity. Make a list of every idea or insight you can gain from every setback or difficulty.

A positive mental attitude is indispensable to your success. You can be as positive as you want to be if you will simply think about the future and look for the good. If you do what other successful people do, if you use your mind to exert mental control over the situation, you will be positive and cheerful most of the time. And you will reap the benefits enjoyed by all successful people.”

Based on this article I bet Brian Tracey's books are pretty helpful.

When problems rise up say: I will solve these problems. If you are a Christian say: We will solve these problems. Then reread this article. Then work on techniques for quitting addiction like you normally would.

Pray: “Father, help me to stay calm, and allow You to help me work through problems.” Do I need to pray this 100 times or 10,000 times?

Memorize 1st Timothy 6:6: "But Godliness with contentment is great gain."

Working on solutions to problems allows God enough space to turn on His light on us, and to begin to dispense His joy in us.

2. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

My wife comes home from massive problems at her business and half of the time I don't even know she has problems. Why? Because she is home now and her past problems are okay!

She has mastered meekness.

Meekness is defined by Webster as enduring injury with patience and without resentment. But the Bible adds to that by showing how it is strength under control. Consider praying:

“Father, teach me how to have strength under control.”

Sometimes I sit around talking to my wife for two hours in the evening and she still never mentions any trouble. She can do this because she has made it a habit to “Endure injury with patience and without resentment.”

Meekness is a top-ten trait to learn in order to overcome addiction. If bad events cause you to fall it may be a top-five trait.

Matthew 5:5 ESV
    “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.”

See how great the Bible is. If you put in the work to be meek to quit a habit... you get a bonus.

Psalm 37:11 ESV
    But the meek shall inherit the land and delight themselves in abundant peace.”

Bonus number two. Work on meekness and also increase in peace.

Psalm 25:9 ESV
    He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way.”

This refers to a 2nd definition of meekness from Merrian Webster: “The quality or state of being meek: a mild, moderate, humble, or submissive quality.”

When we focus on these things, God leads us and teaches us.

Matthew 11:29 ESV
    Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”

This statement by Jesus shows how He leads by example.

Consider praying every hour for the next two days:

“Father, help me to endure injury with patience and without resentment.”

Today, I am adding this prayer/statement to the things I meditate on daily. Hopefully, someday I will make it a habit.

If disaster has always caused your falls, consider making this prayer a permanent habit.

Tao Jones likes this.
  3. timcia

timcia Fapstronaut

Yesterday, I was on vacation, and through a series of unfortunate events, I was left stranded at the beach
    in western Michigan. Several people were supposed to go to the beach, but then at the last minute, they
    had to do other things first. The plan was that they would meet up with me about 90 minutes later.
    The beach was spectacular, 15 boats were anchored offshore, and people were playing spike ball and
    many other games. Then I noticed that 3 hours had passed, then 30 more minutes. I did not have my
    phone with me. Then I started getting worried, or angry, or both, not realizing whether they tried to
    meet me and missed me, or whether they just didn't care.
    As the day started getting bleak I remembered all of the articles I had written over the last ten days
    about obeying the Bible's command to rejoice in all things. So I started to rejoice by praying, "Father, I
    thank you that I am stranded here, I will not lose my joy." Well... for my first 4-5 prayers I felt nothing,
    but I kept praying it more and more.
    Then I remembered that one of my goals this week was to increase in love. So I also prayed about
    increasing in love. But the truth was, I was getting stressed, annoyed, tired, and at the 4-hour mark,
    wondering if there had been a severe car crash or something.
    In situations like this satan always attacks. I had been turning from staring at all of the spectacular
    females on the beach all day. But once I started letting things like anger and fear in, my temptation
    ramped way up. Now I was starting to struggle to turn away. Then it hit me, this is one of the many
    reasons that the Bible commands us to rejoice. I started to pray that prayer more fervently, and started
    to pray more about turning from lust.
    As I continued to fight and pray I started to have a strong awareness that God was there, just the way He says
    that He is always there. But then, abruptly, my party pulled up and my challenge on the beach was over.
    A couple of people had tried to meet up with me earlier, and they misheard where I said I would be.

Second, one note: many reading this are in a place where the beach is completely off-limits at this point in your
    recovery. That is smart. Stay away from the beach until you have an established habit of turning from
    lust.
    Finally, this experience showed how important prayer and rejoicing in all things are. More proof that
    what the Bible says can help us massively in life.