Learned a valuable lesson on a date tonight

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by simonfreemason, Feb 3, 2018.

1. simonfreemason

simonfreemason Fapstronaut

So we'd had over 200 messages back and forth on OKCupid. Prior to this I'd been ghosted by about fifty women on the day of/before the date, so I'd grown to expect a sudden silence when I'd ask if she were ready.

Well, this lovely lady went a couple hours without replying to my question, "So, see you at 8 tonight?" when the date was mere hours away. And I could see she was online. So I said, "Well, I'd choose a 'Fuck yes' over a 'Meh, okay' any day. So see ya later." She got mad and retorted, at which point I realized, Woah woah, wait-- she did want to go?

So I manage to neutralize the situation, and out we went to the bar. She was beautiful, so easy to look at, but a little slow. Turns out it's because she'd been smoking pot because she was nervous about the date. So, because of the slow responses from her being high, and because of her not admitting when she didn't hear me over the loudness of the bar (just nodding her head even it didn't make sense), the conversation grew stilted. I watched her fiddle with her glass and just look at me without saying anything. Uhhhhh... I ran out of topic starters quickly.

Toward the end, in spite of my agony from what'd felt so awkward, I couldn't let an angel like this one go. So I asked her, "Listen, do you want to go someplace quieter? So we can talk more easily?"

She said, "Umm... I don't know... Maybe.." And started looking for places on her phone. She seemed uneasy about it.

I interpreted this as her being too passive to admit she'd rather go home, so I said as nicely as possible, "It's okay. We can call it a night and do it some other time."

She frowned at me. "This is the same thing you were doing earlier, pushing me away. You know what, yeah, I think I'd rather go home." Ah, it's over.

So I walk her out. I could think of nothing to recover with-- mind was just blank. I wound up saying something, can't remember what, then kissed her. Her kiss was dead as a fish-- she gave me nothing in return. I know, that was desperate of me. I know she didn't like it. Alcohol always gets me all kissy. Anyway, she suggested we do a coffee shop next time, but I knew better: She was about to ghost me. And she has-- she hasn't responded to my text from a couple hours ago.

So I learned something tonight: Always be hopeful for the best, don't assume the worst. The former might've gotten me further along with this girl. Wasn't to be. Stepping stones on my quest to be be a confident guy with no desperation, which tonight was riddled with.

As my favorite self-help author Mark Manson says, failure is the only way forward. Fail, learn, try again.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    Hitto, SanityOverVanity and HipPete like this.
  2. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

I’m female and I’ve done my share of online dating and it’s rough. I never ghosted anyone (how horrible to just not show up) or been ghosted but I know many men who are. I think you see the issues here but from a female perspective here’s my thoughts. You are way overthinking things here and personally investing too much in this person you have never met, and that’s resulting in your behavior which to put it nicely makes you seem insecure or bluntly most women will find it creepy. Maybe she just did not respond because she was busy? Many people show as constantly logged in to online dating if they have it on their phone, or maybe she just checked an email quick? You should send an email or text the day of confirming plans and wait for her response. If she does not confirm then don’t go, but sending an email like you did is sure to creep her out and turn off a woman who may have otherwise been interested. Tell yourself if she cancels it’s no sweat off my back there are plenty of other women who want me. I think her behavior on the date was less about weed and noise and more about being standoffish due to your earlier behavior. Just be yourself. If the conversation does not flow it’s not your fault either two people click or they don’t. But I have had men online act overly needy and I never saw them again. Understand women encounter lots of scary men online and in real life for that matter so while you likely are a really great guy you are coming off as creepy. But the more dates you go on the easier this will get for you. But try to chill!

3. simonfreemason

I've always wanted to see this from a female's perspective. Thanks for the solid advice!

"...and personally investing too much in this person..." <-- Can you explain what this phrase means? I've heard it before and never understood it.

GG2002 likes this.
  4. I think G2002 means too much emotional value in someone you don’t know.

Ghosting is an unfortunate side affect all our modern social/communication technology. Ghosting sucks—it’s rude, doesn’t give you feedback to figure out what you’re doing wrong and gives you no sense of “closure.”

As you said though, you learned a valuable lesson. Expect that you may get ghosted and be prepared but don’t assume it until the last possible moment. One message the day of to confirm is enough and one an hour prior if you haven’t heard back. That kiss reeked of desperation but you knew that. You are right—failure is the best teacher. You go through many bad dates before the good ones.

Keep going. And next time pick a place where you can hear each other.

Reborn16 and simonfreemason like this.
  5. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Why so much messaging before even meeting each other?

Do you even like going to bars? Is it an interesting place for you? Sitting around at a loud bar drinking alcohol is something you would do for fun?

The whole online thing turns me off. It's not for me. You set yourself up as a product to be shopped around by others picking out of a catalog. It encourages something along the lines of instant gratification and people being replaceable. Which leads to things like ghosting. People ghost because they don't see people on there as human beings. They see them as products to be attained. They see them as something that they can block or ignore with a click of a button. Maybe that's not entirely true and for sure not true for everyone, but the whole thing is very digital rather than creating a natural connection meeting people face to face. I would rather be rejected and have a bad experience face to face.

I'm sure it works for a lot of people, but I just find it more fun to meet people by actually encountering them at places I have fun at and doing things I'm interested in.

6. simonfreemason

I don't like bars! I'm hard of hearing and suffer conversationally in them. A stout still sounded nice last night though.

I mostly agree with the online dating thing (harmless pixels are less than human and are treated accordingly); if I could avoid it I would. Honestly I'm just not quite sure how to generally go about meeting people outside of work. I do go to a drawing club every Tuesday night and a self-driving vehicles club Saturday afternoons, but neither has any single ladies. This is something that's weighed heavily on my mind the past few weeks.

P.S. To answer your question, the reason for so many messages is because girls in this city tend to want to get to know the guy online a decent amount before going out with them. It's very much unlike Minneapolis, where they'll happily meet you after 3 messages.

7. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Something from your favorite self help author = https://markmanson.net/how-to-make-your-own-luck

If what you're doing isn't working right now, then try new things. Try something more popular or interactive than drawing / self driving vehicles clubs. Something that isn't online dating / messaging.

Find more fun things to do with your time. If you don't know what to try, then try a lot of things. Look up meetup groups.

Women are everywhere. Interact with everyone just for the sake of interacting rather than having any specific outcomes in mind. This helps you connect with more people and develops habits of sharing a good time with others.

Opportunities open up to you if you're outside interacting more.

tweeby likes this.
  8. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

If it takes over 200 messages to get a date with somebody, I don't know why anybody would think that's worth it. If they're not interested, then I wouldn't want to continue convincing them to be with me for the rest of our relationship.

9. simonfreemason

Wow... I needed this. Thank you.

10. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

Thanks that is exactly what I meant, placing too much emotional value in someone you don’t know and have never met.

11. GG2002

GG2002 Fapstronaut

I agree. For me let’s get to the meet up so I can see if you are actually the dude in the picture or not lol. But for real. I would say three emails maximum. Because the problem is you don’t know for sure that that person is really who they say they are. And as a female I can tell you all other men are pushing to meet up quickly, so if you are guy sending 300 emails she’s probably gone on 20 dates before she meets up with you. I do not blame anyone who does this, after all this is how dating used to be and arguably how it should be. But that’s not how it is today, you have to really learn a whole new way of dating. If 20 years ago guy meets girl in class at school or at a bar both are likely going to engage in phone calls, and both are likely to only be invested in that particular person, getting to know them. But these days guy has 10 other dates set up and women has 20, both have forgotten about the other within an hour after they part. I am not saying this to be negative, but its how things are and in order to be sucessful you have to know the rules of the game that is being played.

12. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

I know a guy that does that. He has 3-5 new dates every week.

I'm not sure how people do this. That's a lot of time and money.

This is why if women don't show interest or put in effort into the relationship then it's not worth it for me. If I'm just someone replaceable in their rotation, then I rather not waste my time.

There are people out there that focus more on other aspects of their life thus only have time and money to date one person at a time. That includes me. That's the game I play and the people that I attract. I find that I have higher quality relationships this way. Dating is a numbers game, but it doesn't have to be something void of actual connection. Overtime you develop a way to find out who is out there to find something real and who is looking for disposable and forgettable fun.

Hitto and tweeby like this.
  13. tweeby

tweeby Banned

I like Mark Manson I've read his book, thanks for the link @elevate

14. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Nooooooo, if this was monopoly you just skipped over Mayfair and didn't collect $200.00

15. Damn. That sounds exhausting. Glad I’m married. Dating in this day and age sounds like a PITA.

Hitto likes this.
  16. simonfreemason

Haha, I'll admit I felt a twinge of regret whenever I'd open okcupid today and see her name below that of the new girl I'm talking to.
    That would be true in Minneapolis, GG2002, but Detroit is a different ballgame. Women here want to "get to know you" before stepping foot outside of their house-- entailing 50+ back-and-forths. Took me a couple months to figure this out and raise my success rate after moving here in August. I don't like it either. I get to know a person more in a few minutes of real life than weeks online. Meanwhile, women across the Canadian border are all down for meeting right away! I love Canada lol.

Yesterday's failure still stings a little, but at the same time I'm happy I'm improving. Training myself to face the fear of dying alone with "Have you seen how many beautiful women there are out there? Relax, dude. If this one flops, there are thousands more." Chasing women is a skill unlike any other-- the embarrassment from failure is more severe than that of, say, programming a computer or playing soccer. Being a sensitive, shy guy who's hard of hearing, I think that's why I'm a late bloomer.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  17. Hitto

Hitto Fapstronaut

I would infer that it means being overly attached to outcomes and expectations with people you hardly know

simonfreemason likes this.
  18. when I was younger I had this happen to me many times saying this women is a angel is a mistake there a human being not human perfection .When a women hesitates it means she maybe is not that interested in you . In dating you have to lead you have to tell the women hey lets go to so and so place when you ask women to do so it makes them uneasy if she was realy into u It woundnt matter how clumsy you approach and talk to her she will be into you so it will not matter what when dates become work its a good sign she is not into you. Noe you can do better never change yourself for any women . You have to realise some women are serial daters they go out all the time with different dudes and are drama queens and are not serous or there crazy find a women that likes you as you are
    Stay Strong

Hitto likes this.
  19. My biggest issue is you "asked her" if she wanted to go to another place that was quieter.
    You stand up, put your jacket on and say "it's too loud in here, let's go somewhere quieter." Watch how she woulda stood up and followed.
    I was out with a girl a few times, and she said "did you want to go such and such" and I said "up to you" and she snapped and said "no! I asked you. Don't turn it back on me"
    If this girl was particularly shy and nervous she's not in the mood to make alot of decisions. She's hoping you read enough of her signals to guide her to a more comfortable place.

Hitto likes this.
  20. simonfreemason

Amazing how different perspective can be from reality. I thought I was being considerate giving her a choice.

Anyway, that's enough. It's been 3 days, I've had time to soak in the lessons from this fumble.

Deleted Account likes this.