1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

living without social media | quitting youtube

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by calmeyes, Jan 14, 2024.

Tags:
  1. calmeyes

calmeyes Fapstronaut

I never really got into social media that much. I remember having twitter for a short while when I was younger and I did have instagram for a few years. I never got into snapchat, facebook tikok or any of those apps which I am grateful for. I do not believe social media provides any benefits for me and only effects me in a negative way.

About four years ago I deleted my instagtam account. I noticed it was causing anxiety and I was starting to worry and think about trivial things like who liked me, how many followers do I have etc. Not to mention the influence on my attention span and general ideas it generates. Quitting instagram was a good choice and for a long while I considered myself to be someone who does not use social media. As of late I have come to realize that there is one social medium that I use: youtube.

Youtube does positively impact me in any way, at least not in the way I currently use yet. I find myself wasting a lot of time on youtube watching videos that don't do anything for me. Even the videos that are supposedly giving me value (self-improvement) don't. Constanty pulling my attention, scrolling while watching a video not even giving it my full focus. Besides that it seems that youtube is preventing me from thinking clearly and developing my own original thoughts. Everyone seems to be an expert and there are a lot of things that look cool. Therefore I feel like I am being pulled in all different directions. On top of that is the clickbait titles, thumbnails, drama and just the hyperstimilation that seems to be online. I don't want this anymore. Therefore I am looking to quit youtube. The hard part about this is that you don't need an account to use it, so it is more accessible.

In this thread, I plan do regular updates to track my progress, and who knows maybe inspire others as well.