1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Memento Mori

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, May 15, 2021.

1. Do you know this? I became aware of it reading about Stoicism. I am no Stoic and my presence may very well offend one (highly unintentional but are my thoughts and decisions as well?) however I find much value in their method of thinking and conduct.

I just read this in a book:

Here in our glistening citadel of limitless reflecting screens we live on the outside. Today we may awake and instantly and unthinkingly reach for the phone, its glow reaching your eyes before the light of dawn, its bulletins dart into our minds before even a moment of acknowledgment of this unbending and unending fact: you are going to die.

Please post quotes related to the Stoic idea of Memento Mori for self development sake if ye will kindly.

“The real world is simply too terrible to admit; it tells man that he is a small, trembling animal who will decay and die.”
    ― Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2021
    Garek, The_Anti_Coomer and Augie like this.
  2. As a Catholic meditating on death is part of the Four Last things you are called to meditate on daily. There is a traditional spiritual practice of picking a day each month as your "death day".

Attached is a picture of this practice from a prayer book.
    20210516_122504.jpg

Garek likes this.
  3. Buddhists are encouraged to reflect on the inevitability of death morning, noon, and night. Keeps you focused on what’s important.

Augie likes this.
  4. I'm guessing you had this in your profile quote already. It's a point you have been aware of for some time I'm guessing?