1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

My journey of self-improvement

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by damirios, Oct 9, 2015.

1. damirios

damirios Fapstronaut

Yes it is a good plan. I feel like I didn´t reward myself at all in the past. I have achieved several things but I didn´t reward myself. I also find it a bit difficult to think about a reward because I´m not that materialistic and I think I am content with little things like hanging out with friends.

britaxe likes this.
  2. damirios

damirios Fapstronaut

Or maybe it is because I feel "disconnected"? There aren´t alot of things that give me pleasure. At least that was absolutely the case in the past when I was heavily PMO-ing. That of course becomes better and better by time, but maybe that´s why I didn´t have alot of things or activities that gave me pleasure except PMO of course.

3. damirios

damirios Fapstronaut

Yes you are right!! That is exactly the case... PMO, internet surfing, smoking always distracted me from feeling bad or feeling loneliness. I remember that my heavy PMO sessions would often occur after going out having the expectation to get laid and of course that didn´t happen most of the time, so I would PMO and trick my brain thinking that I would be with so many hot women...

The self regulation concept is interesting... I´m wondering if there is something inside me that I have not dealt with emotionally or is it just that I cannot stand negative emotions, which everybody has, like feeling lonely, feeling bored, having failed at something, etc...

4. damirios

damirios Fapstronaut

I think I´ve read part of the book from a friend. I don´t know if it will help me. I don´t like smoking, I don´t like the smell from my mouth afterwards. Yesterday evening when I was out with some friends I took a cigarette from a friend and lighted it up but didn´t finish it. I didn´t like it or maybe I just felt ashame? I don´t like smoking, DAMN IT!!!!

5. damirios

damirios Fapstronaut

Rules to reduce mindless internet surfing

I´ve noticed that my internet consumption, especially the mindless surfing is one of the things that doesn´t help me and that doesn´t fulfill me. It is just a way to distract me from feeling bored and it keeps me away from being productive, do more fulfilling activities and deal with my problems.
    Today I want to put up some rules to reduce it.

6. damirios

damirios Fapstronaut

Rules to reduce mindless internet surfing

• Going online not before 12:00 a.m.
      • Exceptions:
        • Checking an important e-mail i expect
        • Looking for informations about opening times, adresses, meetings, etc.
        • For the sake of my work or my studies
        • Online radio
        • playing music
        • 30min checking NoFap
    • Max. time of surfing a day: 2 hours
      • Exceptions:
        • For the sake of my work of my studies
        • when being with friends and watching movies, listening to music, etc.
    • No surfing on stupid distracting and triggering sites
      • These sites are really hard to avoid, because they are so many. Most of them are "news" sites, email sites.
    • No "social" media sites like Facebook, Instagram.
      • Exception: Facebook for communicating with one specific person

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  7. damirios

damirios Fapstronaut

Do you know any books or sites about internal self-regulation??

8. HopeFaith

HopeFaith Fapstronaut

Only what Google tells me. But if you get the book: the body keeps the score that I have recommended to you, they have therapies listed there that are used to teach us how to connect with our body and internaly regulate. You see, what is used for treatment of incidental and developmental trauma and attachmet issues, is used for treatment of addiction or bipolar or compulsive disorders or dissassociatieve disorders as all those things are just diferent symptoms of the same internal problem. That is not feeling well and safe in your body and not knowing how to be in peace in silence with our own thoughts and feelings.

A combination of therapies is normally used depending on the need: yoga, mindfulness, focussing, motor somatic, narm, EMDR, neurofedback, art therapy, writing, group therapy and many others.

wj2727 likes this.