1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help for what to do in gym :/

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by scorpia95, Feb 21, 2015.

1. scorpia95

scorpia95 Fapstronaut

I joined a gym a couple months ago, and was going about 3-4 times a week for 2 hours. I stopped cus I got too lazy and didn't wanna walk the 15 minutes to the gym in the snow and freezing temperature.

I'm going to start going again, but a problem I had was that I had no idea what I was doing in the gym. I looked up a lot of guides on bodybuilding.com, but all it did was confuse me. I tried squatting, and was 99% sure I was doing something wrong, even after asking someone to help me.

So what I was doing before was jogging on the treadmill of 1/2-1 hour, and just doing everything, leg press/curls/etc the next hour. I've been eating healthy food since I was born, so my diets very good.

-So if you could point me to a guide that explains how to do each exercise without making it too complicated, I'd be really greatful.

-Oh, and whey powder makes me wanna puke, so is there any alternative to that?

edit: Trainer's are too expensive, the gym manager told me its not worth it for the cost especially since I'm not planning to compete.

2. Chris1052

Chris1052 Fapstronaut

Some gyms have trainers, I don't know if there is one near you but Planet Fitness is a really good gym, they provide fitness training at no extra charge. If they have the fixed weight machines just use those, it's kinda hard to use them wrong. Otherwise just ask someone who looks friendly to teach you some stuff. It's really not as complicated as it looks. Also with the whey powder try not to drink it on an empty stomach, mix it with more water, use a lesser amount until you get used to it, and make sure you drink more water with it. When you get used to it the nausea isn't as bad. Also you could try a different brand, I hear optimum and musclepharm are really good. I'm trying the musclepharm right now but it is making me feel pretty sick. We may just be allergic/sensitive to whey.

3. Sebastian_Godhelpme

Sebastian_Godhelpme Fapstronaut

As for the whey powder you might be allergic. There are enty of other types of proteins out there egg protein is popular and so is soy. Idk whats different about them from whey just that whey comes from milk and the others dont

4. Moxie

Moxie Fapstronaut

The Firm classic home workout DVDs are the best. When I am too lazy to go to the gym, I do calisthenics. Use organic protein powder, because non-organic has chemicals that will make you sick over the long term.

5. Here's some advice I wish someone had told me when I first started weight-training/fitness. Don't go heavy until you've mastered the fundamentals. Stick to the basics. This means pull-ups, push-ups, and sit-ups. Use your body weight and build a solid foundation before moving to light free weights. I wouldn't even touch a bar bell until you've progressed to 5-10lbs dumb bells.

There's a lot of misinformation on the internet. You have to simplify and prioritize QUALITY over QUANTITY. Pick a few go-to workouts that you can do perfectly and build from there. The most common mistake for guys getting into fitness is to drive their muscles to depletion thinking it'll lead to huge gains. WRONG. All you're doing by over-exerting yourself is making sure your body is out of commission for a few days. Slow and steady. Just remember that and you'll be good.

And finally, don't READ how to do a workout; look at videos of qualified people like Mike Chang from sixpickshortcuts, and experiment. Weight training is largely trial-and-error. And be creative. You don't need fancy machines to build muscle. All you need are a few dumbbells, a treadmill and your body.

6. Okay. He's a salesman. But he's also extremely fit. You can photoshop a lot of things these days, but his body is the real deal. And if you actually exercise enough you start to see who's legitimate and who is bullshitting. Mike Chang isn't a bull-shitter. His advice is for intermediate to advanced lifters that are looking to take their physiques to the next level. His bench-pressing videos are especially useful for first-timers (bench-pressing being a really easy way to DESTROY your shoulders when done incorrectly). Most of his stuff on YouTube is free anyway so OP wouldn't be losing anything by checking him out.

7. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

Read Kelly starret - Becoming a supple leopard. Must read for all athletehes not knowing.

8. Born Sinner

Born Sinner Fapstronaut

To add to what's already been stated. Dumbbells will help you with balancing and controlling the difference between your left and right side. Start off light

9. PALM

PALM Fapstronaut

thats some good advice! stick to the basics go hard and most importantly if u wanna have a real change of lifestyle never forget to have some fun with it!

10. msa2388

msa2388 Fapstronaut

I find that free weights give the best results. If you're going three to four times a week, start really really simple.

Do your back and biceps one day, legs one day, chest and triceps, and shoulders and abs. Look up some common free weight or bodyweight exercises that target those and pick three or four different ones. Do three sets of reps for each exercise.

For protein YOU DON'T NEED expensive protein powder unless you plan on really getting big into bodybuilding. A bottle or glass of chocolate milk is more than an adequate post-workout drink.

As far as cardio, you don't need to run for an hour. I wouldn't go big and get into the interval training stuff just yet. I'd do your weight routine and run for twenty (unless its leg day, then fo'get it). Remember diet is half the battle: you can exercise all you want but you won't really see results unless you get on a good diet plan. Don't get into the bodybuilding diets yet, just get comfortable working out for a few months and eat healthy.

Oh and I can't stress working out your legs enough! Work the hell out of them!

Trying to think of what else to add....I guess if you don't know how to do an exercise then you tube it and start with little or no weight. Try even using your phone and taking videos of yourself to see if your form looks good...I've been lifting for a few years and I still take video.

LAST thing to add because I forgot to mention it: DEADLIFTS...get good at them and you'll feel like a champ...but start light or you'll end up hurt.

Add me and I can type you up a quick weekly plan...it'll give me something to do that isn't old bad habits.