1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

NoFap in college?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by LostSon41, Mar 19, 2023.

1. LostSon41

LostSon41 Fapstronaut

For any people who graduated from high school and enrolled in a university during their NoFap journey, how did it affect your progress? Did living away from home improve your ability to fight urges, or hinger it? What are the pros and cons of college, in terms of NoFap?

by1776.13 likes this.
  2. by1776.13

by1776.13 Fapstronaut

I'll be following this as I am a highschool senior. Which means I can't give any useful insight unfortunately

3. Awkward_Cat

Awkward_Cat Fapstronaut

It's definitely a little bit of both. I'm a senior in college and graduate this May, but I go home in the summers and on breaks so I'm used to changing environments frequently. You'll need to rely on your own self-discipline more. Living away from home opens up a lot of avenues to get triggered and relapse since nobody's likely stopping you. But on the other hand, you have a lot more freedom to take control of your addiction. Like for example, if I'm lying in bed at 3am with crazy urges in my dorm, I can go for walk outside, take a shower, play video games, or do something else to control the urges that I might not be able to at home. You can set your own schedule and figure out what works best for you.

Schoolwork can keep you busy but also be boring and lead to urges, and it's especially rough during the first couple of years when it's mostly GenEd courses (assuming it's the US, not sure about other countries) which tend to include subjects you're not interested in. It might help to find clubs or other social groups during those first years to help you make friends and make the most of your time there (and help you beat urges). Staying busy is the key to success and college offers endless opportunities to stay busy.

Changing environments can be rough for sure but it can also be a fresh start. But there's lots of pros and cons to moving out.

Returning Rebooter and by1776.13 like this.