1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

(POLL) What Is Your Religion?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by VeganCannibal, Sep 13, 2015.

What is Your Religion?

1. Agnostic or Atheist

29.5%
  2. Christian

38.5%
  3. Jewish

1.3%
  4. Muslim

10.3%
  5. Buddhist

9.0%
  6. Hindu

6.4%
  7. Pagan/Wiccan/Witch

1.3%
  8. Scientologist

1.3%
  9. Other (sorry if I missed yours!)

11.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MadHatter

MadHatter Fapstronaut

I am with you, brother.

2. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

Buddhists also don't believe in God. We examine our mind and the world experientially.

Caveat Emptor and axy_david like this.
  3. axy_david

axy_david Fapstronaut

the definition of a belief system is:
    faith based on a series of beliefs but not formalized into a religion; also, a fixed coherent set of beliefs prevalent in a community or society.

Atheist believe in evolution which along with big bang are definitely moulding into a set of beliefs!
    Unless you are ready to have a lack of belief in evolution and big-bang then that is undoubtedly your religion.

Let us be clear, science is a set of beliefs as-well: it only works as long as we both believe in it. You have no way of proving that 2+2=4 unless I believe that algebra is true.
    The "atheists" god is actually science, because they all agree that at least a part of it is absolute, such as the aforementioned math example. Try to prove that 2+2 =/= 4 and you'll be ridiculed.
    The only person here who refuses to understand that is you.

You have to think outside the box, just because people think that atheism is a lack of religion doesn't mean that it's the absolute truth.

True atheism would be a person that doesn't believe in anything, including evolution and big bang. The only true atheists IMO could be animals that do not have the capacity to believe in something logical or divine.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    DannyCool likes this.
  4. Once again you are ignorant becuase you dont understand and you are uneducated in this issue.I am trying to explain to you that athesim is not a religion. Evolution is a fact a scientific fact which is called a theory in science it can be proved through a mountain of evidence,which there is a lot of.There are atheist out there, that dont believe that evoultion or the big bang theory is true,the same as people who believe in a god.You say that true atheism is someone who doesnt believe in anything,that is complete crap!!You dont understand atheists at all!

Atheist believe in things that actually exist like earth,nature and reality.Science is a methodology.How can methodology be a god?
    Is a the device that you are using right now a god?Is a iphone a god?Is this website a god?A god is a person,an entity,there is no worshipping of science here.Science can be observed,identitfied,described,theorized and experimented in order to explian phenomena.Science is the only reliable method for understanding reality.If you mean that we value logic,understanding and reason,over a god then you are right!Atheism is the lack of a religion and a lack of a belief in a god.No matter how you try to twist words in whatever way.

I done having this discussion with you since you are beyond reason,logic and understanding.Look around the universe is much bigger than you think!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  5. DannyCool

DannyCool Fapstronaut

Relativity has been now disproven therefore 2 + 2 = 4 objects with potential and connection to the universe not 4 independent things. So really 2 + 2 does not equal 4. I love you Axy.

6. Zerg Prosecutor

Zerg Prosecutor Fapstronaut

What is the difference between agnostic and agnostic atheist?

7. Knight Solaire

Knight Solaire Fapstronaut

Agnostic Atheist is a contradiction so therefore it can not exist. You can't "not know if you believe" and "don't believe". That doesn't make any logical sense.

8. Knight Solaire

I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Atheist do not specifically believe in evolution or science. Atheism is the lack of belief in a single deity (god, Buddha, Allah,). Not all this mumbo jumbo science, Big Bang theory, evolution stuff. A atheist is not the lack of religion, but the lack of a belief in religion.

You can't set there and tell @The 1000 Water Fists he is wrong for his opinion and then turn around try to shove yours down his throat axy_david.

You said:
    "You have to think outside the box, just because people think that atheism is a lack of religion doesn't mean that it's the absolute truth."

This is also a contradiction. You could use this as an excuse for anything and everything. People who are atheists know they don't beleive in God just as much as a Christian believes in God. We are no better or worse.

My examples:
    "Dog is black, but my neighbor says he's white. I think my dog is black, but I don't know because I have an opposing view against it."

"I think God is real, but there sure are a lot of atheists out there that say differently. That must mean I'm wrong."

I also think it is wrong to pit atheists and agnostics together in the voting section. They aren't the same thing and they never will be. I take offense (being an agnostic) that you would consider my belief system so similar to another that I don't get my own category or are you not the one running a group for a small minority?

You think you would know not to discriminate. :confused:

I also disapprove harshly of you starting this thread just to argue when many wonderful people here could do without being prosecuted for their beliefs. :(

Who are you to judge what "true" anything is!:mad:

The 1000 Water Fists likes this.
  9. Agnostic atheism is a philosophical position that encompasses both atheism and agnosticism.Agnostic atheists are agnostic because they dont not believe in the existence of any deity and agnostic becuase they claim that the existence of a deity is either unknowable or unknowable in fact.

A agnostic is anyone who doesnt claim to know for certain that any gods exist or not,while a atheist doesnt believe in god or gods.Atheist= lack of belief and agnostic=lack of knowledge.

Knight Solaire likes this.
  10. BushidoWarrior

BushidoWarrior Fapstronaut

An agnostic atheist is someone who doesn't know that there is no God, but sees no good reason to believe in one. Most atheists are agnostic in this sense.

I identify as a gnostic atheist. That is, I have the same amount of confidence in my attitude towards God's nonexistence that I do towards the nonexistence of fairies, witches, wizards, gnomes, etc.. In other words, a lot.

11. Knight Solaire

I'm sorry, but you can not be agnostic and know for a fact that you don't believe in God. You either believe (religious), don't believe (atheist), or don't care (agnostic).

There are no grey areas when it comes to that stuff. If you don't believe, you are atheist. If you do, religious. If you don't fall into either of those and you can't make up your mind or don't give a shit enough to think about it, you are agnostic.

You can't be agnostic atheist, atheist religious, or religious agnostic. Those things make no sense.

I'm sorry if this offends anyone. If someone can explain why, I'm sure I could understand better.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Strugglesaurus likes this.
  12. BushidoWarrior

• Agnostic atheist: "I haven't seen any good reasons to believe in God thus far, but I don't really know if he doesn't exist."
    • Atheist religious: "I am a square circle. I am a round triangle. Up is down; left is right. I am a walking, living breathing contradiction."
    • Religious agnostic: "I believe in God, but I have to admit that I don't really know if he's up there."

13. BushidoWarrior

But it's all semantics to me at the end of the day. We are disputing definitions (the Map), not reality (the Territory). So it's an interesting debate to have in order to settle a consensus on what our words mean, but nothing further. The facts of experience are what actually matters, not the words we attach to certain experiences.

DannyCool and theDoctorSmith like this.
  14. Zerg Prosecutor

Is the definition of an agnostic someone who doesn't know if he believes?

15. Zerg Prosecutor

Person X is an atheist.
    Person Y is an agnostic atheist.

Tell me what is the difference between these two when it comes to the problem of the existence of God.

16. Knight Solaire

That's what I have read and was lead to believe. Agnosticism is the belief that other beliefs are unknowable or unknown.

Therefore, if you say you are a atheist agnostic, that means you believe there is no God, but also believe there is no truth to your beliefs which renders your beliefs obsolete.

It contradicts itself.

17. Zerg Prosecutor

Let me tell you what someone who identifies himself as an agnostic atheist will tell you.

Agnosticism addresses the problem of knowledge, not the problem of belief.
    Atheism/Theism addressees the problem of belief.

Agnostic atheist - "I don't know if there is a God, but I don't believe in one"
    Agnostic theist - "I don't know if there is a God, but I believe in one"

Atheist - I believe there is no God.
    Theist - I believe there is a God.

The problem is that this is simply not a "fair" position. Because agnostic atheists can get away with "I don't believe that there is no God, as the atheist does...I simply lack the belief that there is a God.

But if you look at the definitions of Agnostic theist and theist you see that there is absolutely no difference!

18. Zerg Prosecutor

If I say that I am an agnostic theist and say that I don't claim to know that there is a God, I simply lack the belief that there isn't one.
    What do you think of this position?

19. BushidoWarrior

I guess it gives a better intuitive sense of what it means to be agnostic and a theist at the same time.

I would propose that, instead of using words like 'theist' 'atheist', etc. We just quantify our degree of confidence in the proposition "God exists". For example, I have 99.9999% confidence that the sun is going to come up tomorrow. I have 0.00000001% confidence that I am going to turn into a giant banana in the next five minutes. When it comes to God, my degree of confidence is WAAAAAAYYY below 1%.

20. Zerg Prosecutor

What attributes does the God you are having such a low confidence in has?