1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Self mastery books and tips?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by MrCharacter, Aug 28, 2015.

1. MrCharacter

MrCharacter Fapstronaut

Hey folks, I would like some opinion from experienced individuals who have gone about becoming the best version of yourself. I have loads books but I don't know where to start. This is where I need the help the most, the starting point.

2. bean

bean Fapstronaut

That depends. What kind of mastery are you looking for? Physical? Spiritual? Emotional? Cognitive/Psychological? Financial?

Where would you want to start?

I would recommend anything by Jim Rohn, Jack Canfield. Dale Carnegie, W. Clement Stone, James Altucher and Og Mandino with respect to finances.

In terms of self discipline, if you're religious/spiritual seek out information on the Bramacharya, Taoist, or Zen Cultivation. People wise, I would look at David Deida (specifically The Way of the Superior Man), anything by James Allen or the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius of Loyola.

From a secular perspective on cognitive/psychological improvement, I've found the following books helpful:
    The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
    Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends on It by Kamal Ravikant
    No More Mr. Nice Guy
    by Robert Glover
    The Rise of Superman by Steven Kotler
    Mindset by Dr. Carol Dweck
    In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts by Dr. Gabor Mate

Others in the forum have spoken highly about the following books:
    The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal
    The Slight Edge by Jeff Olsen

Currently, I'm reading the classics Flow and Finding Flow by Mihaly Csikzentmihalyi, which inspired Kotler's book. I personally don't agree with him that organized religion no longer provides the answers to the question of how find meaning in life (on the contrary, many people who have been in profound states of flow have mentioned that it was like encountering God), but I think his work is the closest thing there is to unlocking a transcendent level in ourselves -- and finding consistent ways to do it.

Hope this helps!

JethroTull likes this.
  3. sir fappanot

sir fappanot Fapstronaut

The Slight Edge has a extremely powerful message and takeaway, despite it being a kind of corny book. That being said, it tremendously changed my life, despite being a bit pedantic and repetitive at times.

The other books in my signature I obviously like too. The slight edge deals with immedite practical applications. Other wise, the Tao Te Ching is incredible, the Meditations... ahhh OH the untethered soul.. yooo, quality, quality book. Life changing.

JethroTull likes this.
  4. JethroTull

JethroTull Fapstronaut

A New Earth and The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

The Tao Te Ching by Lauzí (sp?)

The art of war by Sun Tzu.

The way of the peaceful warrior by Dan Millman.

That's all I got.

5. SerpentEagleHeart

SerpentEagleHeart Fapstronaut

David Deida is very good. As is Eckhart Tolle.