1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Stop over thinking, be in the moment?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Samuel L. Fapsin, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Samuel L. Fapsin

Samuel L. Fapsin Fapstronaut

One thing I struggle with and I'm trying to improve is to be in the moment. I'm realizing now the reason for my social anxiety is filling my head full of thoughts that when the event comes I am unbelievably anxious. It gets so bad that I'll remember and cringe at something I did or said over 5 years ago.

Things I've learnt are that
    the future is a concept that doesn't exist there is no "tomorrow" because tomorrow never comes. I approach tommorow, it does not come to me as time is always now in the present moment.

To discover the present moment, must stop thinking. Because of thoughts I imagine the unforeseen as the present moment rather than experience the actual present moment.

I've begun daily meditation which is helping me clear my mind and be one with my surroundings. Instead of focusing on my thoughts I'm focusing on the present moment/reality. I also use meditation techniques during activities whenever my mind suddenly wanders.

I've begun listening to Alan Watts who has changed my perception of reality so much.

I'd like to know what other steps I can take to clear my mind? If you can provide me any videos, readings, practices that'll help me stop overthinking, that would be awesome.

2. Samuel L. Fapsin

Samuel L. Fapsin Fapstronaut

Jane is great I was watching her content during her prior 90+ day journey. Saw this in my suggestions earlier I'll definitely watch it.

3. Jimb0

Jimb0 Fapstronaut

I use to have very awful social anxiety as you maybe 6 to 7 years ago. Since then I've been meditating almost everyday. Staying in the present moment, or mindfulness is term I prefer for it, is a very powerful way of dealing with your anxiety. NoFap could definitely help, as over stimulation of any kind can disrupt the way your body operates. It took a while for my anxiety to lessen. Your best friend will be time. Stick with meditating and being mindful. You keep practicing it and soon you'll notice some changes.

4. Mybrownblanket

Mybrownblanket Fapstronaut

Here is my method which I adapt from Dale Carnegie in 'How to stop worrying and start living'
    - live in the 'day-tight compartments'
    He explained that our life is similar to a ship and we have to protect it from being sunk by not letting the past and future intervene with our present. *sorry for the bad interpretation, it sounds much easier to understand when translated in my mother tounge*
    Anyway, the method's orginal idea came from this quote 'It is not our goal to see what lies dimly in the distance but to do what clearly lies at hand' by Thomas Carlisle.
    I have been adapting them in real life for 5 years now, and it is 70% effective overall.
    Can you share the technique you are using now for meditation? I've tried some apps on Appstore but they all require expensive in-app purchase and I don't have that much money to afford.

5. HeadAche

HeadAche Guest

Thank you, for your input guys. I needed to hear this, just today! :)