substituting one vice for another?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, May 8, 2016.

1. helloooo, so I'm currently two days in on this adventure -- no big deal right, but I was wondering if substituting this vice for a temporary new one could actually help me with temptations I'm bound to get, or if it could make them worse. more specifically, I quit smoking after spring break this past march (smoked since I was 16), but I was contemplating whether or not I should pick it up again to help with my reboot? I don't really know anything anything about addictions, so I'm super interested in what you guys think

I was never a big smoker anyway -- maybe like a pack a week. obviously I'm not gonna pick it up again if it was a huge problem in my life, but it wasn't really. plus quitting was super easy, so I donnu if it's a realistic distraction, or if I should just focus on my health in a more complete way.

did any of you guys ever pick up a new vice when you were rebooting?

2. IGY

IGY Guest

There are dozens of heathy distractions to choose from. So, a harmful addiction is not necessary.

3. Toven

Toven Fapstronaut

Unfortunately I'm fighting eating and alcohol. Doing well with alcohol, but healthy eating is still a work in progress...

4. Don't smoke as @SnL rightly said above you can replace unhealthy addictions with healthy ones.

5. jfromcr

jfromcr Fapstronaut

Hey spliffy,

For me the toughest part of my addiction was that I sought the path of least resistance. I don't want to fight with my spouse - so I will check out and PMO. I don't want to face my fears - so I will check and PMO. That was my pattern.

It won't be easy, but find a healthy challenging self-improving outlet. You will get more satisfaction in the long run.

lfromcr likes this.
  6. No! This is just stupid. There are a lot of other distractions you can find that does not also damage your health. Your health is you greatest wealth. Even things like binging on Netflix would be better than smoking. Or things like eating sugar. Our cells run on sugar. As long as you keep it in non-ridiculous amounts. That being said, there are things that can distract you that are fun but also beneficial for you. Like learning to play music, sing, practice some sports, reading, etc. There are many distractions you could pick from that are not as bad for you.

7. I catch your groove, but I have plenty of hobbies already, yfeel. the difference with a cigarette is that it's a nice temptation killer, while the others are just distractions. but yeah I guess I probably shouldn't :/ thanks for the replies!

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. lfromcr

lfromcr Fapstronaut

Nah, you were dying with the one addiction. No need to die over another. Just remember, some cigarette companies ADD addictive substances just so you will BECOME addicted and make them richer. That's my belief anyway.

jfromcr likes this.
  9. All cigarette companies add addictive substances.

Bench likes this.
  10. lfromcr

lfromcr Fapstronaut

Yea, I wanted to leave myself some wiggle room for the lawsuit-happy cigarette makers. :eek:

ha ha

11. lfromcr

lfromcr Fapstronaut

@Toven
    That healthy eating is tough. If you're the rebellious sort, I suggest you watch documentaries like "Fed Up," "King Corn," and "Food, Inc."

Those were enough to motivate me to eat healthier OUT OF SHEER SPITE!

12. lfromcr

lfromcr Fapstronaut

HUGE deal! The first days are full of challenges!

jfromcr likes this.
  13. I see...

One more thing tho, using a crutch kill the temptation is one thing. Or using distractions like hobbies. But there is level above that. By not killing or distracting yourself from temptations, but by letting them be. And training the will power and discipline to not indulge in that temptation. Training your mind to be strong against temptations like that can actually benefit you later in other areas in life too that will require discipline and will power. If you do that you will be fully self sufficient and won't need to rely on things like hobbies or smoking to stay free.

14. TheIdealMan

TheIdealMan Fapstronaut

Try a video game. They're addictive and keep your mind off PMO, but they aren't directly bad for you. Strategy games are my favourite. Don't do drugs.

15. Toven

Toven Fapstronaut

The problem with this is that video games within themselves aren't the most positive addiction, and some of them can be triggery, and they're an activity that, to be honest, goes hand-in-hand (pun?) with your average PMO user... strictly because living an anti-PMO lifestyle means living... going outside... fighting laziness, etc.

I think video games are great, I'm just not sure it is the habit to replace PMO.

16. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

OK, to play the devil's advocate, I don't see much harm in the taking up of cigarette smoking... in moderation. Besides physical health, we must of course consider our mental health. Now the odd cigarette may go a long way in alleviating the sudden onset of severe stress, which will no doubt arise with new P-free lifestyle. Not to mention the social benefits, where one may loiter outside, in the fresh air, with every opportunity to strike up some random conversation with a stranger. Yes, why be a puritan about it.:rolleyes: