1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

THE 2 MINUTE RULE - WORTH IT

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Brazilian Addict, Jan 23, 2024.

1. Brazilian Addict

Brazilian Addict Fapstronaut

Hey guys! Today I am going to share with you people something that has shown and proven to be very effective in my life! Its something you can apply with literally anything you wanna start doing and have some consistency, and for all you procrastinators like me, this is probably the way to go.

"The 2 minute rule consists in doing the bare minimum you know you can do without tiring yourself out"

How does that work?
    Well, basically you need to "start" the activity and stop there, for an example, instead of doing the whole damned job that is getting ready for the gym, going to the gym, working all exercises until the fatigue hits you and then return home, this time, you will only "get ready for the gym and exit the door of your house", then if you wish, you are allowed to go back inside to your room and do whatever it is you want to do, your job for the day is finished.

What is the mechanism behind this technique?
    Its simple, its just a habit development, it doesn´t matter that the habit is short and just under the 2 minute mark, its still a habit, and from the creation of this habit the motivation for doing the main task can come easier for you, that is because most often the motivation only comes after we are already engaged with whatever we re doing in the moment.
    So by doing the bare minimum (get started), its easier for you to do that because you know it wont tire you too much, and after doing that and becoming a little bit motivated, its also easier for you to choose to go to greater lenghts, for example: today I will not only just get ready and exit my house, i will also move a little closer to my gym until i can see it, and tomorrow maybe you will want to enter the gym and so on!

This technique also consists in dosing what you do and stop focusing on the bigger picture so much, which is also important, doing each thing at a time is the ideal for most people, the problem is we project going to the gym as an impossible task because we imagine how many days we will have to do those same things over and over again until we have a good desired physique, its better to go one step at a time.

How to apply this?
    1. Take anything you want to start doing and keep consistency on and form a habit, again i am going to use the gym as an example.

Habit: Gym

2. Then you decide what is the best for your situation, something you do to start the habit, like opening the notebook for studying and reading one line, exiting the door, getting ready etc., its ideal for the ritual to be below or just right in the 2 minute mark,YOU HAVE TO MAKE A HABIT OF THIS!

Start of the habit: Get ready, fill your water bottle, grab your bag and exit the door.

3. After that you are Done! you have concluded what you were suppost to do! you can just return and go back to what you were doing! but if you wish to challenge yourself further, you can try advancing more if you want, and getting closer to the main thing, but again that is not necessary, that is optional.

End of habit: Just go back and return to whatever you want to do, your task is complete!

How has this been working in your life?
    I was always a total procrastinator but i found this rule to have nailed the spot it was missing, always finding excuses to not do what i should do and all that crap, but this rule makes everything more controllable. When I get "started to the gym" I always ask myself, can i exert just a little bit more willpower to at least make it across the street? and if I can, i will go back inside after that.

But after I do it, I just feel more tempted to walk more and challenge myself to get closer and closer and eventually i am inside the gym, and suddenly so MOTIVATED.

So it works like this:

1. You ask yourself if you can just do a little bit more and decide after that you are going back inside and rest for the day after that.

2. If you answer yes and do it, ask yourself again and keep doing it, eventually it becomes automatic.

How I think this works, is that by always leaving an escape route if you wish for it and also a smaller task, it just becomes golden for us, and our excuses are less strong and tempting.

Where did you find this?
    I discovered this specific technique when I watched James Clear s Course, he made a book called ATOMIC HABITS, and this is just a tip he shared.

Also when the 2 minute habit is automatic, it will be needed way less willpower than before, which i notice a lot of us lack.

Trust me, at least test it for yourselves.

Hope I could help anyone in need!

Homo sapien. and Sarah-Walker like this.
  2. Sarah-Walker

Sarah-Walker Fapstronaut

That’s one of the biggest issues for me, going in too strong or too big and it just falls apart. When you have procrastination you have to start small, even if you don’t want to and get frustrated.