1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

***The Delayed Gratification Challenge!***

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Slylen, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Slylen

Slylen Fapstronaut

In the spirit of @BushidoWarrior's threads i decided to make my own contribution!

WHAT IS IT DELAYED GRATIFICATION?

"Delayed gratification, or deferred gratification, is the ability to resist the temptation for an immediate reward and wait for a later reward."

We live in age of technical and logistical marvels that offers us more than we could ever us. Instant gratification is at our finger tips with the internet, fast food, and more. While i have no qualms with modern society (for the most part) the mental effects of this reality are not completely harmless.

Helpful article for those adverse to youtube:
    http://www.startofhappiness.com/power-delayed-gratification/

My goal with this post is to offer everyone a chance to tangibly strengthen this powerful mental tool in their own day to day lives. Delayed gratification is undoubtedly a indicator of success and worth your time to practice.

Basic examples:

• Cooking your meal instead of eating out.
    • Having that tasty sweet treat only after you did something to earn it.
    • Working on a goal (Writing, learning a new language, studying) instead of an immediate reward. (Games, Imgur, Facebook, etc..)

WHAT IS THE CHALLENGE?

I will let you set the duration of the challenge but the rules are simple. I suggest practicing this concept for at least a month.

• Practice at least one act of delayed gratification per day.
    • Can include working on a longer goal/reward (i.e Studying instead of partying)
    • Post your thoughts and progress on the forum for accountability.
    • Teach others about the concept if you would like to!
    • Optional: Add a counter your forum signature to help remind you and others!

THAT IS IT! / WHAT IS THE POINT?

Delayed gratification is a simple concept but if mastered it could be the difference between mediocrity and greatness! If you can develop this habit then nothing can stop your from reaching your goals! Least of all YOU.

Stay Strong,

-Slylen

Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  2. Slylen

Slylen Fapstronaut

Good start! Though music is a beautiful thing and i see no reason you should deprive yourself of it haha.

For example: I has multiple things i have to complete today but i also want to play a few games with my friends. I am consciously making the effort to delay the reward (Games) until i finish my tasks.

Stay Strong,

-Slylen

3. shekhar

shekhar Fapstronaut

Delayed gratification..... It's really good thing ....thank you for sharing

Slylen likes this.