1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Delayed Gratification Challenge.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by MrCharacter, Jan 20, 2016.

1. MrCharacter

MrCharacter Fapstronaut

I would like to apologise if there is a same or similar thread. Inspired by BushidoWarrior challenges.
    The Delayed Gratification Challenge

The delayed gratification challenge was first started of as a test, in the late 1960s and early 1970s by psychologist Walter Mischel. The test was simple, children ages of 3-7 years old were given a choice of sweet treat be at a marshmallow, cookie or cupcake etc. The tester offered another choice to the children which were
    Instant Gratification - small reward and Delayed Gratification - big reward. The children could either eat the sweet treat instantly however they would only receive that eaten item or wait delay 10 - 15 minutes and receive the eaten item as well as rewarded with another sweet treat.

Challenge:
    Write down three tasks or distractions you're going to avoid today in order to achieve a bigger, better goal long term.

[​IMG]

2. MrCharacter

MrCharacter Fapstronaut

1. I'm delaying/avoiding Youtube till 8:30pm
    2. I'm delaying/avoiding Twitter till 8:30pm
    3. I'm delaying/avoiding procastination.

Deleted Account likes this.
  3. Asgardian36

Asgardian36 Fapstronaut

I'm delaying watching 2 sitcoms until I finish 4 tasks on my to-do list.

Beingpure and MrCharacter like this.
  4. MrCharacter

MrCharacter Fapstronaut

1. I'm delaying Youtube till 8:30pm. By delaying Youtube till 8:30pm I was able to concentrate on work more efficiently.
    2. I'm delaying Twitter till 8:30pm. Also delaying Twitter helped me focus more on my work.
    3. I'm delaying to watch any sitcoms or shows till 8:30pm.
    Delay and reap in reward as you may.

5. MrCharacter

MrCharacter Fapstronaut

By delaying Youtube and Twitter till 8:30pm, my mind is becoming something stronger. This is the first time I've taken this task of sort and my mind is slowly changing itself for bigger and harder tasks that may come may e.g. preparing for finals in April-may. Most of my friends have gone Budapest for 4 days while I'm here working and preparing for dissertation and exams. At first I felt sad knowing I could have been with them however, I quickly reminded myself that I'm in the delaying process and will reap larger reward in the long term.

Once again:
    1. I'm delaying Youtube and twitter till 8:30pm.
    2. I'm delaying to watch any shows.
    3. I'm delaying to look at my phone from 6-8:30pm.
    Delay and reap in rewards as you may.

6. I really need this thread, procrastination is my biggest hurdle right now.
    Today, I'm avoiding the internet (from when I finish this post onward)
    Avoid eating out of boredom/frustration
    While I can't avoid negative thoughts alltogether, I won't despair because of them (desperation is obviously not an instant gratification, but I tend to use it to give up and follow up with instant gratification so it also somehow belongs here).
    Good luck everyone!

Beingpure, ExileSlash and MrCharacter like this.
  7. SI fighter

SI fighter Fapstronaut

I'm delaying the use of internet to focus on the more important thing.
    I'm avoiding eating junk foods or surfing on the web for nonsense out of boredom, frustration,depression.