1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Vitamin d3

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by ShaolinMonk, Sep 7, 2020.

1. ShaolinMonk

ShaolinMonk Fapstronaut

Hey guys.. I have read many articles about vitamin d3 and its impact on mood, I am wondering about this, are you taking this vitamin? Have you noticed any difference on mood, anxiety, depression?

2. ³Go kick a ball around in the sunlight for half an hour daily dude; you'll get everything you want- better mood, less anxiety, no depression and all the Vitamin D you need.

This isn't something you should consider supplements for unless you're clinically deficient or dark skinned and living in Greenland or something.

SoaringEagle likes this.
  3. ShaolinMonk

ShaolinMonk Fapstronaut

You're right bro but I have 3 shifts in work so there is a problem for me to get enough vit d3 grom sun.

4. The majority of people are vitamin D deficient. Sunshine alone does not provide adequate levels of D unless you are near nude and spending several hours a day in the sunshine. I take 10,000IU’s daily of vitamin D (Dr. recommended) and I am very pleased. It has many essential benefits. I haven’t been sick in three years. Not even a cold. I’m not sure of the benefits for mood, but immune support I can attest to.

5. Krillin1993

Krillin1993 Fapstronaut

In the past I have taken Vitamin D3 alot and 10.000iU a day can be too much on a daily basis. I have tested myself and it was something over 113 which is already toxic. And guess what I still get a chronic pharyngitis and my chronic Asthma (which I have since childhood) is still as bad as before. I wouldn't put Vitamin D on a such high pedestal. Well when there are actually people who made great progress with Vitamin D3 I am not saying anything against them, but there are definitly other aspects you have be aware about. I take the chinese traditional medicine really serious.

6. ⁴That depends, as I implied, on where you live. Globally, the estimate lies at about 1.2 billion, if I'm not mistaken. That's a lot, but definitely not the majority. Please don't exaggerate medical facts; scientists have spent their lives trying to achieve precise results for the sake of knowledge and we mustn't invalidate their efforts with 1 biased lie.

As a medical student, I can verifiably prove you wrong on this too. If you still don't believe me, here's what Google has to say about it:
    Again, please don't give advice like this without any knowledge on the matter.

The only way a doctor in the United States would recommended a daily dose of 10,000 IUs is if you are clinically deficient, old, have a history of fractures, a known patient of osteoporosis or a combination of any of these factors. You may attest to the benefits here, but this doesn't apply to everyone.

The RDA of Vitamin D is actually something that is debated, but even so, the highest estimates lie at 2500 IUs/day. If you don't believe me, here's Google again:

Please be careful about what you read gentlemen; vitamin D has a lot of hormonal actions and we as medical students are taught that for all clinical purposes, it should be treated as a hormone, and these aren't something you want to mess around with without a doctor's approval on the matter.

I would implore the OP to ask this question to a doctor instead of on an online forum, where- as I just proved- a lot of anecdotal and unscientific advice exists.

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"- Pope Alexander

7. Envoy-ofthe-End

Envoy-ofthe-End Fapstronaut

Vitamin D is so good it's considered a steroid hormone. The BEST way to attain it is through the sun, not synthetically. Also it is one of the key features for testosterone boosting.

Sosuke Aizen likes this.
  8. Kramum

Kramum Fapstronaut

The sun is okay but too much sun is going to hurt. Btw the moment your skin burns is the moment your body cannot physically take anymore vitamid d. You will then have to wait until next day.
    Also, that is only valid for midday sun and only if it is summer. And obviously that also depends on where you live. If you live in Sweden or somewhere around there then the sun is out of the window for you and you will need to eat fish, drink milk, or take some cod liver oil.
    Btw, the amount of vit d you can absorb in 20 minutes of sun exposure is going to be enough for several days or so, I won't tell you exactly for how long. Because the body doesn't use all of that in just a day. It uses some of it and stores the rest in fat tissue.
    And bear in mind that there is a physical limit as to how much vit d you can have in your body. At some point your body will be forced to exert it if you have taken too much, or if you overdose it like crazy you will get vit d poisoning.

9. Envoy-ofthe-End

Our ancestors were exposed to the sun all day working hard. Those men were tough as nails. Nowadays people whine, they'd rather be shut in all day behind a screen (I was like this) because its "comfortable." But then they whine that they have depression and shit. If you're scared of the sunlight like most people are, you probably have a vast array of problems other th3n going outside.

10. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I take a vitamin D3 supplement every morning, in the form of an oral spray.

It makes me feel a little better in terms of my mood, and energy levels. It isn't miraculous, but I'm going to continue taking it.

Bare in mind that I live in Britain, where it rains quite a lot, and I haven't been able to go outside as much as I want to due to studying all the time and looking after a baby. I try and get out for at least an hour every day - there are healthy benefits beyond vitamin D, especially with mood, and it also massively helps me with nofap.

11. Kramum

Kramum Fapstronaut

I take it that you traveled to the past :D
    Lol no. People were hiding in shades as much as they could have and when working in fields would wear long clothes covering most of their bodies including hats to protect their heads.
    There is a limit as to how long you can spend in the sun without getting burnt/ill.

12. Kramum

Kramum Fapstronaut

Btw our hunter gatherer ancestors weren't "working hard". It largely depended on where they lived etc but their lives weren't half as hard as you think they were.
    Peasants in medieval times on the other hand would work very hard. They would also live up to their early 40s and die.
    Thought I would give you some food for thought.

13. Envoy-ofthe-End

Who said that? Dont say history books because from what I see, history is being rewritten to make us believe we are living in the best time. I can assure you that humans today are pathetic compared to even 100 years ago. Most people are AFRAID of the sun.

14. Kramum

Kramum Fapstronaut

But it is true that we live in the best time possible. Lol. If you don't like it you can always book a one-way flight to Africa and start living by jumping from one tree to another picking fruits or stealing carcass from lions if you want to live like your ancestors. No one makes you stay here, right?

15. Envoy-ofthe-End

If you're on this forum you have no saying in "best time possible". But I'll leave that up to you to figure out.

16. Kramum

Kramum Fapstronaut

Lol what :D I am on this forum to kind of observe its members. I don't agree with pretty much anything a typical NoFap member would say or believe.
    And yes it is true that our life today is better than in the past. Our life today is better even than the one from 10 or even 5 years ago.

17. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

Thanks for that word of authority, Kramum.

You don't half post a lot for someone that is here to 'observe'.

Sosuke Aizen likes this.
  18. I honestly couldn’t care less what western medicine or google says. Im not giving medical advice. I’m giving my personal opinion and the opinion of my Dr. (not a student).
    “Darlin’ you take the high horse and I’ll take the high road.” -Kacey Musgraves

19. ⁵Ah yes thank you for making that clear. That does explain a lot.

Just to be clear, me being a student doesn't decrease the validity of the scientific data which I have presented, which is still considered fact. But it makes little difference to you anyway, so never mind.

Have a PMO free day.

20. Awesome!

fredisthebes likes this.