1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Voluntary service

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Headspace, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

To me, self-improvement goes hand in hand with trying to make the world a better place, trying to improve the lifes of others as well. Doing a voluntary service looks like a great way for me to actually focus on that for a certain amount of time each week, without wanting anything in return.

I've never really done anything like that, but I will change this. How about other people here? Anyone volunteering, or thinking of doing it?

A few months ago I wanted to join an organization helping homeless people to get through the night, but they already had enough volunteers, and I will move away by the end of this month.

Right now there are tons of refugees coming to Germany from different countries, basically none of them knowing the language. The language barrier is one main reason for difficulties in integrating into society, but German courses are insufficient as there is a huge lack of teachers. For the refugees, this results in a vicious cycle of living a life without any perspectives and gaining a bad reputation, and the Germans don't win anything this way as well. That's why I want to give German courses. Apparently it's possible, I'll see, I have an appointment for this next month.

2. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

Good for you mate. Go for it. Helping others is the best way to feel good about yourself. Kudos.

Headspace likes this.
  3. JoePineapples

JoePineapples Fapstronaut

How did this work out?

4. Calm

Calm Fapstronaut

I volunteered for a good 7 years of my life and I am sure I will again. Perhaps becoming a monk in the later part of my life, who knows?

You either want to find somewhere to volunteer that you truly share their vision with, or another thing to think about if you have an entrepreneurial spirit is to join or create a startup or something and donate a portion of profits somewhere, that tackles getting paid to work and selfless giving all in one :)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015