What are your fav personal development books?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by TheStoicStudent, Jul 10, 2023.

1. TheStoicStudent

TheStoicStudent Fapstronaut

I know learning about myself, science and philosophy help me stay on track. I'm curious what your fav books are. Here are mine.

Dopamine Nation: This first and foremost, understanding WHY we get hooked on stuff and how to help pull out of it.

Never Enough: The Neuroscience and Experience of Addiction: This book dives into neuroscience and addiction like i've never seen. If you have any geek in you, its fascinating to understand how the brain works and why those cravings are so damn hard.

Why Buddhism Is True: Buddhism is a beautiful and amazing religion / philosophy but many of the books are just hard to read. This one cuts to the heart of it all in an easy to read way.

The Practicing Stoic: I like to think of Stoicism as the best parts of Buddhism, but in a more down to earth and real way. Of any religion or philosophy, Stoicism makes the most sense to me. If you're looking for some kind of guiding light, but don't find yourself into religion, i'd check this out.

Always open to explore new books. All of these are also on audible so they're easy to listen if you don't enjoy actually reading (like I don't)

mashedpotatoes, Talz and nomo like this.
  2. I recently read "Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k" by Mark Manson. Incredible, really helped me realize what I was going through and how stupid I was that I was going through it. Also inspired me to join the NoFap community. I read it on audible and the guy who voices it is really funny too! Highly highly highly recommend it

3. hiimbubbles

hiimbubbles Fapstronaut

I really like anything from Ryan Holiday books, podcast ect I just think hes an interesting fellow

Talz and TheStoicStudent like this.
  4. L.LAWLIET

L.LAWLIET Fapstronaut

for me it is atomic habits

5. TheStoicStudent

Yes., that was a great one. I liked his second book even more, "Everthing is F**CKED". really good stuff

Talz likes this.
  6. TheStoicStudent

He is! and def the most mainstream stoic guy. I find him a bit of a cheeseball bro, but that doesnt' take away from his message. He's just too keen to sell you stoic toliet paper and anything else lol

Talz and hiimbubbles like this.
  7. TheStoicStudent

Weirdly, i haven't read that one yet.

Talz likes this.
  8. L.LAWLIET

L.LAWLIET Fapstronaut

just try it once

Talz likes this.
  9. Guiness

Guiness Fapstronaut

Not Nice by Aziz Gazipura - Most recent, has really helped me be more authentic and stop people-pleasing.

The Solution to Social Anxiety by Aziz Gazipura - This one helped me take action and make great progress fighting my social anxiety.

Talz likes this.
  10. Talz

Talz Fapstronaut

"48 Laws of Power" and "No More Mr. Nice Guy" really opened my eyes to some shit. "Atomic Habits" and "The Compound Effect" are also highly recommended.

Since the topic of stoicism has come up "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius also had a big impact on me. I would like to check out some Epictetus sometime.

11. Vince P

Vince P New Fapstronaut

John C. Norcross, Changing for Good. Six steps, an easy read and not preachy.

Talz likes this.
  12. L.LAWLIET

L.LAWLIET Fapstronaut

YOU CAN TRY THIS ALSO
    cues: master the secret language of charismatic communication

Talz likes this.
  13. Icewarrior

Icewarrior Fapstronaut

If you'd like to know about Buddhism in a "more down to earth and real way" then I'd recommend "Diamond Mind, A Psychology of Meditation by Rob Nairn. It's short and to the point.

14. TheStoicStudent

adding it to my list now.. thank you!

Icewarrior and Talz like this.
  15. Joseph Campbell

Joseph Campbell Fapstronaut

Recovery by Russell Brand- much like the comedian himself, a very entertaining yet insightful read that revolves around his interpretation of and experience with 12-step work.

TheStoicStudent likes this.
  16. loneloan

loneloan Fapstronaut

do you reccomend\ "vouch for" the book What the Buddha taught?
    its written by a theravadin monk. I read a bit of it, it seems very practical and down-to-earth

17. Hyge

Hyge Fapstronaut

I also recommended you to read geographical books like Guns, Germs, and Steel (1997) if you felt bored with.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
    hiimbubbles likes this.
  18. Kahuna81

Kahuna81 Fapstronaut

Mastering your hidden self: a guide to the Huna Way

Psycho-cybernetics

The subtle art of not giving a fuck

No more Mr Nice Guy

Talz likes this.
  19. hiimbubbles

hiimbubbles Fapstronaut

I recently read Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker I liked it and found it really interesting