1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the price of boredom?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Junior987, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Junior987

Junior987 Fapstronaut

What is the price of boredom? What do you do out of the result of being bored? Spend money on going out, buy things to entertain you, shop for things that are not needed, do things that dont benefit you. Whats your price tag on boredom? How has satifying your boredom benefited you in your life? What can be done to fill this empty time? Its ironic that we complain about being bored but also about not having enough time in the day. Is this a result of being without purpose? Walking around aimlessly through life without any direction nor destination.

Last night, i went out to a lounge out of boredom. Spent about $60 on the night for about 2 hours of essentially killing time. The party was ok, and i enjoyed the music. But after i left, it didnt quite hit the spot, somewhat like being hungry and eating Macdonalds, i ate but im still hungry and i can feel the unhealthyness of the meal. Boredom is also one of PMO triggers. I get the same feeling (but with more dissappointment) after PMO as i did last night and majority of nights going out. Although, this addiction does affect my confidence with women which doesnt make going out as enjoyable. When i have pursued women i have been pretty successful, women like me, and i could been with a lot more women then i did if i had more confidence. Maybe its not even confidence, maybe i just need to get out of my head soo much, just feel and react. Times where its seemed so easy, i didnt really care to be rejected, that i cant perform, or what if she doesnt like me, or getting caught in day dreaming about being together.

I have learned in my years of looking into self help, when its simple, its easy. The price of boredom, too me at least, is the price of not working towards the life you want. I realize that these times could be used for something productive. The important thing is to have the motivation to want it bad enough.

Asgardian36 likes this.
  2. nfprogress

nfprogress Fapstronaut

Boredom is like the bottom side of a gold coin minus all the fun and challenge of rolling the dice. The top side of that coin is anxiety. The seed of boredom, once mature, warns me that I have spent long enough on a topic and that it is time to move on to greener pastures and tougher challenges. Csikszentmihalyi had the right idea in my mind. For me, flow is the edge of that gold coin that rides the line between boredom and anxiety. It is a barometer and compass all in one.

3. nomo

nomo Fapstronaut

Good question, the price of boredom for me is a relapse or not enjoying the quality of life that I think I deserve. The real question for me is how do I find ways to eliminate boredom? I find it takes a lot of work to not be bored. I'm constantly looking for new friends and things to do, and the challenge is having the energy to do this and coming up with the ideas on how to accomplish this.

4. Junior987

Junior987 Fapstronaut

I plan on reading that book, it has been reccommended a couple of times.

5. Dark Warrior

Dark Warrior Fapstronaut

PMO and pointless shopping for sure. Even eating. Although I've noticed that when you stop PMO you fill in your time more and feel productive. I think boredom is mostly a low energy problem rather than having nothing to do.