1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do people take casein before bed?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Ajar, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

If Casein is time release, wouldn't that help to curb hunger during periods of wakefulness? This is because Casein provides a constant drip of Amino's into the system, which has been proven to provide the overall satiety effect to the system for prolonged periods of time. Protein will also stimulate metabolism, etc, etc **google general effects of protein ingestion.

So it should be more beneficial during periods of being awake, not night to sleep, unless you body-build professionally. It should be extremely useful for... when you're trying to study, and trying to avoid the ups and downs of energy levels throughout the day....for example.

Whey is also known as immediate release protein, because its helpful right after a workout. But then why isn't casein good for right after a workout? Protein in general raises metabolic rate, so maybe extended metabolic rate increase. My question is why the hell do people say overnight? It really makes no sense for your everyday joe?

2. Tibo87

Tibo87 Fapstronaut

Because most of the body-building scene want you to believe that you need it, and that they want to sell their supplements.
    Also, if I am not mistaken, the reason is because it is a slow releasing protein process, and is better assimilated by the body during sleep.

3. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

See now, assimilation happens best right after working out. Thats one of the main reasons Whey is so popular. Whey is immediate absorption(isolate micro being the gold standard). So take whey right after a workout. Majority of the claims I've seen on Casein speculate it's to feed your body in sleeping. But think about this, Human Growth hormone, is released in periodic pulses every 2-3 hours. So if you want to maximize this, you're insulin cannot be elevated which means if you've eaten too late in the night, or if you're body is still digesting something throughout sleep, this will completely screw up hgh secretion. So eating too late will make it hard to gain muscle, and cut excess fat, if you do a little research on hGH you will conclude this as well. Dude when you're hormones health is AWOL. Muscle building is the least of your worries. But now I question my hGH when I consume the Casein I bought today will it inhibition hgh throughout the day ? I shall research this more.

4. DerSchütze

DerSchütze Fapstronaut

I wish I could stomach protein powder, every brand has me gagging half way through a shake.

5. Ajar

Ajar Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

There's always plant protein which is way less bleh then milk protein, they also have unflavored proteins, if you can get those both in one, you might have a chance :)
    I saw they now have Keto meal replacements, those might be cool too - essentially look for the ones with no sugar, good amount of polyunsat fats, and decent amount of protein - that should keep you good for a minute. My main thing was always to avoid hunger, because when you get hungry you got's to eat, when you got's to eat then you got fluctuating energy levels, my worst nemesis. I wish I could figure out a way, and method to eat so everyone can easily adapt it and become healthy, then we have less disease, because you would have less overall stress, and stronger, healthier people. But capitalism's flaw is that its based in money, so addiction, and depression are the primary money makers. How do you think Makeup companies sell so much makeup, they are the first to make women feel weak, and have low self esteem, so then they can push their nonsense. Why do you think they photoshop pictures, on purpose.

6. gandu_

gandu_ Fapstronaut

All these supplements are bullshit I'm sorry, it's all bullshit marketing. Better off taking roids at least you know what you're putting in your body and how much. 99% of these sups are full of crap and god knows what chemicals etc. No one knows the long term effects of them or what they really do to you. It's all a marketing ploy you can get big without any of this crap people did it for centuries...

7. Yes most supplements are a waste of money and can be gained from vegetables and other food sources but whey protein is not a supplement, it is a byproduct of cheese production. However, most market brands are made from bad cheese! The only good cheese is made from grass fed cows hence the only good whey protein is also from grass fed cows.