1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by One Eyed Owl

I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

And in Jesus Christ, His only begotten Son, Our Lord; who was
conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under
Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into Hell. On the third day he rose from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from there he shall come again to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic church, the communion
of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the
life everlasting.

Amen.
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Nice way to avoid the actual evidence.... ""Faith without works of justice is not sufficient for salvation; neither is righteous living secure in itself of salvation, if it is disjoined from faith." -Gregory of Nyssa. ". Even a baby can understand the meaning of quotes like this.. I've read much more of the Father's than you, and they are Catholic in their doctrines... one doesn't need to have read the entire works to understand this plain statement......
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
"Mary, a Virgin not only undefiled but a Virgin whom grace has made inviolate, free of every stain of sin.”
– Ambrose, Sermon 22:30 (A.D. 388). Does this sound like modern Catholic teaching on Mary, or does it sound like P teaching about Mary?
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
*Protestant (autocorrect)
Run_Like_Joseph_Did more_vert
Run_Like_Joseph_Did
No Protestant denies that by the late fourth century, Mary was widely accepted as perpetual virgin pre partum, in partu, and post partum. It’s true history can be traced to the third century in the church and finds roots in pseudo gnostic documents like the Protoevangelium of James you can’t trace wide spread belief of perpetual virginity of Mary before the third century. Which is coincidentally around the same time when monasticism exploded out of the eastern church. In other words, Ambrose was wrong on this issue.
Run_Like_Joseph_Did
Would you like to start a private convo?
Run_Like_Joseph_Did
We could talk about the immaculate conception and how it was a late fourth century innovation that finds no roots for the first 4 centuries as defined by poi’s ic in 1854 in that convo
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
The apostles Creed was also composed in the 4th century
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
You fail to appreciate a principle of history: the immaculate conception was WIDELY acknowledged in various places (by jerome, Ambrose, Augustine in North Africa etc....). That means, they didn't invent it on their own, and were only articulating and developing on already held views on the immaculate conception
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
So the apostles Creed was also compared in the 4th century.... So why do you accept that alone?
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
When you encounter evidence from the early church that contradicts your beliefs, you just raise the bar for evidence much higher...... Or ignore it outright....... I've just provided a lot of evidence against Sola fide from the church fathers (even though you tried to claim that the same fathers supported Sola fide). And now you just dismiss and reject any evidence
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
You say Ambrose was wrong? Then Jerome, Augustine, ephrem the Syrian and so many other fathers and the early church, who supported the sinlessness of Mary, were wrong, while Martin Luther and Calvin were right?
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Besides, the "Sinlessness of Mary" is found much earlier than the 4th century, so your claim that it was a 4th century invention is WRONG
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Hippolytus

He [Jesus] was the ark formed of incorruptible wood. For by this is signified that His tabernacle [Mary] was exempt from defilement and corruption (Orat. In Illud, Dominus pascit me, in Gallandi, Bibl. Patrum, II, 496 ante [A.D. 235]).
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Besides, the sinlessness of Mary is implied by the words of the Angel "Hail Mary, FULL OF GRACE"
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
I'm beginning to see that evidence is not effective for most people... If someone is biased towards a certain viewpoint, then they ignore or dismiss evidence to the contrary, even if it's plain...
Run_Like_Joseph_Did
Oh heavens, am I suggesting that some men of the true faith were fallible and incorrect on certain issues? yes... yes I am. Pius IX, when he dogmatized it in 1854, suggested that this belief had been the constant unbroken faith of the church that Mary had been conceived free of original sin. I'm suggesting he was wrong too. On a lot of things he was wrong. I'm not sure how I've raised the bar, perhaps it's because the topic keeps changing.
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
Yeah, all those church fathers and all their congregations were wrong in their near unanimity about Mary's sinlessness, but Luther was right about "faith alone", which is explicitly contradicted and specifically refuted by scripture (book of James)..
hillmountain more_vert
hillmountain
I forgot, even Jesus refuted salvation by faith alone... " Not everyone who calls me Lord, Lord will enter heaven, but he who does the will of my Father in Heaven...".
ThePaladin more_vert
ThePaladin
I can't for the life of me figure out why a Roman Catholic would come to a Protestant online community to spout their propaganda and dogma.There are plenty of other places, even on this website, where RCs can kill souls with their synergist and heretical nonsense without it bothering anyone. But that doesn't stop them from coming to a Protestant group as if we agree with them.
ThePaladin more_vert
ThePaladin
"Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved." (Acts 16:31)

"These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name." (John 20:31)

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." (Rom. 10:9).
Deleted Account likes this.