1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking of seeing a therapist

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Alley_timer, May 10, 2018.

1. Alley_timer

Alley_timer Fapstronaut

it been a on and off topic on my mind. I have seen a therapist before but I put it on hold. I was a Teenager back than and I felt it was stigma to go. Now I am “grown” adult I am thinking if should go back. I feel that I have my thoughts are like flashing and I don’t know how to direct them or put them into a perspective I can understand. There also past childhood events that sometimes come up to mind that haunt me that I pushed back. I only notice as an adult how this affected me. I never told and I wouldn’t tell anyone I know. So yeah I wonder if it would benefit me. Thanks

Deleted Account and moonesque like this.
  2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I started going to a therapist a month or so ago and honestly it was one of the best decisions I could have made. It gave me a safe, non judgmental place to talk about things and the opportunity to understand my emotions and thoughts on a deeper level, as well as tackle my issues. As it turned out my main problem was anxiety magnifying issues that weren't really all that significant, and learning that made me feel a lot better, it eliminated the "I have something wrong with me" mindset and allowed me to finally move on from my hangup. The anxiety is still there of course but in small meaningful ways I've been dealing with it.

So yes, I would go to one.

Deleted Account and moonesque like this.
  3. Ilovesemen

Ilovesemen Fapstronaut

For my opinion i think that you don't have to think and deal about your past childhood events, If you want to create a change in some aspects of your life you need to start focus on change your pattern thoughts and habits. when you focus on the things you don't want in life be sure that you will keep produce them until you decide to change somthing.
    The past has nothing to do with the future of your life, this is common to alot of pepole to stay stuck and feel bad and think about what dosen't work and how things didn't work in the past. Decide what you want and start to pursue that goal the past has nothing to do with it. Change your habits and it will change your world ! I really think that i can help you with some instructions and ways to do it just PM me and i will send you some videos and stuff that really can help you. Goodluck man!

4. Haien

Haien Fapstronaut

We see doctors for our bodies, we should do the same for our minds. So many issues are really just a matter of how we frame issues, or how our perceptions of things get warped, things they are trained to help with. I have been in therapy and it helped a lot. I say go for it.

5. Alley, if you have some specific ill thoughts, seeing therapist is helpful. But it could also be emotional illness that cause ill thoughts (anxiety disorder, depression etc., they are hidden when one is not stressed). You gotta distinguish whether your value or your body has problem. I had just a relapse of anxiety disorder/depression, and this time I realised that I am natural patient. Changing values and thoughts don't help myself too much. Taking medicine/ learning meditation is the solution.

6. moonesque

moonesque Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

A therapist can be a helpful
    avenue for you to think about yourself and develop a safe place for yourself.

I wouldn’t see it as a place to ‘cure’ yourself, but a place to discover and think on yourself. It can be helpful and forcing honesty in therapy can be useful to overcome false senses of identity.

7. Toomuchh

Toomuchh Fapstronaut

I was having a difficult time a few years ago and went to see a therapist. It helped me because they could give me a neutral perspective with what was going in my life and let me get some things off my chest. I felt like I was going crazy and was suffering some sort of cognitive dissonance. It helped make me realize I was being extremely toxic to myself and that I was making it harder on myself for no reason. It's a tool for reflection and if you are feeling a bit lost I think it's not a bad idea to see one to flesh out the negative thoughts in your head. Just vocalizing some of the things weighing on you is a huge relief and let you address the problems. Honestly talking about your problems is very therapeutic, but at the same time I think it's kind a waste of time if you do it too often. If all you're doing is talking about your problems you aren't doing anything to solve them. I only went to therapy a few times during a stressful moment in my life and after I figured out what my issue was, I was able to walk past it and move on with my life. If you feel like you're stuck in a rut I think it's a good idea to go see one. Just don't expect it to solve your problems, just use it as a tool to shine a light on the issues you are going through.

8. Go for it, I've always found therapy helpful. I'm starting a trauma based therapy soon, for what might be a similar issue to you - things in childhood that seem to be the root of my problem. I've had CBT for depression and anxiety, but because it doesn't tackle the root cause but the symptoms instead, for me it helped me manage it but never fully make peace with it and heal the core wound, which meant I continued to act out in a pattern of behaviour stemming from that core wound, a type of trauma re-enactment I had no idea I was doing. (Having said that CBT works wonders for a lot of people who don't need to go into their past so it does depend on the individual).

I think men feel more stigma about talking about their problems and male suicide could be reduced if a lot of men just had someone to talk to about what they are going through.

TheMightyQuinn likes this.
  9. I have been going to the same therapist for 8 years. I only go about once every 6 weeks now but I went every week for several years. Big big help. Her approach melds well with other 12 step recovery work I do. She is a big supporter in that approach.

It is never ever a sign of weakness to ask for the help you need. It is a sign of strength. To those who would sit in judgement I give you Brene Brown: "we only judge what we fear".

Peace,
    -Quinn

Deleted Account likes this.
  10. I strongly encourage seeing a therapist. A Year and a half ago I was extremely hesitant at seeing a therapist as I was scared of what it may mean if I went. I though that this made me a bad person. I started as a result of years of letting my parents walk all over me and my marriage. I finally started to realize that I had major boundary issues. I was lucky to find a therapist that also delt with EMDR {trauma therapy}. We started working together and she first helped me realize that my parents did not have the right to own me. This however was just the start of my self discovery. I started to learn just how much my parents saw me as a possession and that they were extremely emointionally limited. This was extremely hard on my wife as I became even more self absorbed and all she wanted to do was help me see that I was in an extremely unhealthy codependent relationship with my Mom. It took me another 8 months and two other therapists for me to understand the full extent of the emotional stunting that I have. I have since started seeing another EMDR therapist who has helped me to start accessing my feelings. This has been a scary and sad journey however it has also started to let me understand the betrayal that I have brought to my marriage. For that the pain has been worth it. I also believe that with out all the work that the therapist has done with me I would not be on the path to trying to repair the damage that I have caused to my marriage and myself. One word of caution though is to approach your first interaction with a new therapist as if you were interviewing them. This way you can get a feeling of how you can work with them. I wish you the best of luck.

Deleted Account likes this.