NoSnooze Challenge

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by StoicContemplation, Nov 29, 2020.

1. PanteriMauzer

PanteriMauzer Fapstronaut

2. Kurushimi

Kurushimi Fapstronaut

Fuck not improving

3. OttarrTheVendelCrow

OttarrTheVendelCrow Fapstronaut

This is a great idea and a step towards better sleep. I am in for the no snooze challenge! I find the following helps me to have a more regular sleep cycle:

1- No screens at least 1 hour before bed and NO phone usage in the bedroom, especially if you wakeup in the middle of the night (see blue light in #2)
    2- Dim the lights at least 2 hours before bed. I use WIFI bulbs and have them on a timer to turn to red light when the sun goes down. This mimics nature and tells your body it is time to rest. Red light does not stimulate your brain the way blue light does. Blue light literally tells your brain "the suns up, time to go!".
    3- No eating at least 2 hours before bed. Digestion is a lot of work for your body and eating before bed can prevent you from achieving a deep restful sleep pattern.
    4- Keep your house / apartment cool (ideally 65 degrees) - your body temperature needs to drop in order to achieve deep sleep, the most restful and important of the sleep stages
    5- Always set an alarm and go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day.

I have room for improvement on number 5 and I think that this challenge will help me! If you are interested in learning more about sleep and what we can do to improve it I recommend Dr. Matthew Walker's book "Why We Sleep" or you can watch him on Joe Rogan :) I highly recommend both!

4. Kurushimi

Kurushimi Fapstronaut

Sugar ...again back to zero

5. Drop Bear

Drop Bear Fapstronaut

Aight i'm in, biggest streak wins!!!
    Set an alarm for 7.

6. StoicContemplation

StoicContemplation Fapstronaut

Day 10: didn't snooze

Tomorrow (when my finals are finished) I can discuss things more deeply as I see some guys are getting interested in the this challenge/concept (I'm a bit short on time these days)

Gryf and ruso like this.
  7. ruso

ruso Fapstronaut

Good luck on the finals man

StoicContemplation likes this.
  8. PanteriMauzer

9. getafterit

getafterit Fapstronaut

Day 3 & 4: No snooze.

StoicContemplation likes this.
  10. Drop Bear

Drop Bear Fapstronaut

Day 1: woke up at 7 but snoozed for an hour

11. StoicContemplation

Day 11: didn't snoozing

Snoozing is the act of hitting the alarm clock and going back to sleep, often doing it more than once before getting out of bed. The reason why you should avoid it is because if you keep inciting sleep cycles after waking up, you prevent your body/brain waking up properly (you are confusing your body if it has to wake up or sleep again, thus disrupting your general sleeping pattern).

Good tips. This challenge is not only about not hitting the snooze button, it is mainly and above all about improving your sleep cycle. The goal is to get a good sleep so your energy levels are optimal (sleep is very important for testosterone).

Dimming the room is definitely worth considering, didn't think about that. I do avoid screens in the evening. Because of my finals I was destined to look at my computer screen late in the evening. I recommend installing 'f.lux' for your computer as it dims out blue light in the evening to avoid eye strain (blue light also suppresses the production of melatonin which you need to fall asleep).

Besides that, make sure your room is as dark as possible and get a sleep mask if necessary. I also recommend 'light therapy' but maybe I will get deeper later on.

12. Drop Bear

Drop Bear Fapstronaut

13. PanteriMauzer

Interesting never tought of that

14. getafterit

getafterit Fapstronaut

Day 5: 1 hour snooze.

Probably needed it tbh since I had only gotten about 4 hours of sleep.
    I'd lie if I said it didn't irk me a little though so I took a 6 minute cold shower to compensate for it.

Anyways, I'll keep counting the days like normal and look back on this as a bump in the road

15. StoicContemplation

Day 12: didn't snooze

I woke up 1 hour before my alarm but I allowed myself to go back to sleep. I see this as a treat because my exams went well. I didn't snooze through my alarm so I'm not seeing this as a failure

The pattern for the last 12 days was this: waking up to get my phone to close the alarm (7-8am), go back to bed and rest for another hour whilst scrolling Twitter. The blue light of the screen helps me wake up.

I know that going back to bed to scroll your phone is inferior to waking up immediately and going on with your day, it is still progress for me (my body needs to adjust to this new pattern)

16. Drop Bear

Drop Bear Fapstronaut

Day 3: woke up 20 minutes earlier without needing an alarm.

17. getafterit

getafterit Fapstronaut

18. StoicContemplation

19. Drop Bear

Drop Bear Fapstronaut

day 4: woke up immediately at 7

20. StoicContemplation