My disney ranking

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by SlayerofDarkness, Aug 13, 2022.

1. SlayerofDarkness

SlayerofDarkness Fapstronaut

This is my opinion.

Attached Files:

onceaking likes this.
  2. I feel like that's a pretty agreeable ranking to me. I would change things up a bit, but not much.

The only thing that really bums me out is that you haven't seen some of my favorites! Wreck it Ralph, Zootopia, and Big Hero 6 are all S tier for me.

3. SlayerofDarkness

I also need to see fantasia.

4. I've never seen that either, so I wouldn't really know. Although I've heard that without the nostalgia factors, it's not really that great.

5. SlayerofDarkness

Why would you change

6. I don't really have time to get into it deeply right now, but for one I would definitely put Oliver and Company higher. And probably Snow White lower. Idk, just a few I would do differently. Maybe I'll make my own tier when I have some time.

7. ShadyPerson

ShadyPerson Fapstronaut

That's what I thought until I actually tried to watch it.

ajstath likes this.
  8. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

It goes along with my opinion except:

My S tier:
    • Mulan (the original, not the 2019-20 rubbish). A story of going against gender roles and showing that women can also be mighty, all while making it a sensible and natural plot, was an absolutely refreshing take. Damsel-in-distress tropes are super old, so I’m happy they went the opposite way with this.
    • Wreck it Ralph. I always liked the idea of interdimensional travel, which is what this movie is in a sense. Glitch’s character and what she represented was well done. I won’t spoil it, as you haven’t seen it, but it’s a great lesson for people who might find themselves to be “different” in the world.
    My A tier:
    • The Jungle Book was pretty good, but nothing memorable for me.
    • Moana. As a New Zealander, me like.
    My B tier:
    • Bolt. Lol, I thought it was a pretty adorable movie that represents you not needing to have superpowers to be heroic.
    My C tier:
    • Lady and the Tramp. Ehh, it’s okay, but D tier movies to me would be the movies I’d watch if I had troubles going to sleep because they’re tremendously boring. Lady and the Tramp is too interesting to me personally.
    My F tier (yay, probably my most controversial section!):

• Frozen. You can’t spell Frozen without F. Sorry, overrated movie with an annoying soundtrack that tortured me almost nonstop for the first 3 years, else it’d be a D or even a C. For one, the characterisation was absolutely terrible. Hans suddenly becomes a villain with hardly any red flags or foreshadowing. Elsa learned absolutely nothing from her actions and almost seemed like she was thrown in to make the movie a mystical version of Lilo & Stitch. Olaf was more of an annoying distraction than a comedic relief, but that’s just me. The one character that was executed well was Anna, and maybe Kristoff. Points to Sven for being the bestest animal though :cool:
    • Frozen II was even worse. They had every opportunity to learn from their mistakes on not developing Elsa, yet they didn’t even do that. Plus, it doesn’t help that Avatar: The Last Airbender was one of my all-time favourite cartoons growing up, and Frozen II feeling like a rip-off version of that.
    The IDK tier:
    • Peter Pan. There is so much racism, sexism, and manipulation in that movie. Peter Pan rationalises his treatment of Tinker Bell as “a girl with a broken heart” (NOT a good lesson for anyone today), while Tinker Bell’s a poor combination of a hero and an anti-villain: she’s jealous of Wendy, tries to get her kidnapped, and was an architect of the conflict. None of those things are bad to make a movie about, but not when it’s dismissive or put in an All’s Fair in Love and War attitude. But even if we ignore that, there are so many unnecessary plot lines that were built only to explore Neverland.

• But the more I thought about Peter Pan, the more ingenious I found it, strangely. Its one of the few movies where both the protagonist (Peter) is an awful person, and the antagonist (Hook) is reasonable and might see something sinister in Peter Pan that the movie doesn’t explicitly show. That itself is A tier/S tier plot material. But it doesn’t change how boring the movie is.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    Meshuga likes this.
  9. SlayerofDarkness

What not why
    How about Hunchback

10. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Definitely agree with it being S tier. Quasimodo has guts to do what is right, even when everything around him wants to bring him down.

11. Alright, I put together my own ranking. I also added a few more movies, because I really love Pixar.

If anything on your list is not on mine, it's either because I haven't seen it, or because it's been so long since I've seen it that I can't really remember it well enough to give it a fair rating.

S Tier:

- Beauty and the Beast
    - The Emperor's New Groove
    - Frozen
    - Wreck it Ralph 1 & 2
    - Zootopia
    - Big Hero 6
    - A Goofy Movie
    - Ratatouille
    - Finding Nemo
    - Toy Story
    - The Incredibles 2

A Tier:

- Toy Story 2
    - Monster's Inc
    - The Incredibles
    - Enchanted
    - 101 Dalmatians
    - The Lion King

B Tier:

- Tangled
    - Mulan
    - Anastasia
    - Oliver & Company
    - The Aristocats
    - Up
    - Brave
    - Monster's University
    - Inside Out
    - Finding Dory

C Tier:

- Cinderella
    - Peter Pan
    - The Little Mermaid

D Tier:

- Chicken Little
    - Jungle Book
    - Snow White
    - Pocahontas
    - Sleeping Beauty
    - Tarzan
    - A Bug's Life
    - Cars
    - Toy Story 3

F Tier:

- Alice in Wonderland
    - Lilo and Stitch

Pentatonic likes this.
  12. Yo, I'm looking for housing in Weimar and one of the offerings has a bench in front of the place and immediately when I saw it I remembered Carl and Russell in Up counting the cars that went by while they had some ice cream

13. And for me, this is what the tiers mean:

S - absolute masterpieces

A - I really love these, but a tiny step below the movies in S tier

B - I'd definitely enjoy watching these again, but I wouldn't say they are my favorites

C - Okay. I liked them as a kid, for sure, but I'm not necessarily dying to watch them again.

D - Not bad, but if I never saw them again, that'd be fine

F - I really dislike these

14. Fun thread. I haven't seen most of the movies listed here in a long time and I've been more interested in their music than any of their story-telling lately (for example, while I really like the music featured in The Lion King, I think it's an average movie at best). Still, here's mine as well as I can remember:

S Tier:
    • Zootopia
    • Finding Nemo
    • Toy Story
    • The Incredibles 1
    A Tier:
    • Wreck It Ralph 1
    • The Incredibles 2
    • Toy Story 2
    • Aladdin (1992)
    • Mulan
    B Tier:
    • Lilo & Stitch
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Moana
    • Atlantis
    C Tier:
    • The Little Mermaid
    • Bolt
    • The Princess & The Frog
    • Cars
    • The Lion King
    • Home on the Range
    • Hercules
    D Tier:
    • A Bug's Life
    • Pocahontas
    • Chicken Little
    • Up
    • Aladdin (2019)
    • Hunchback of Notre Dame
    • Big Hero 6
    F Tier:
    • Frozen

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2022
  15. This is exactly why I disliked the movie so much, I thought it would've been much more interesting if Elsa was the villain. I consider Hans to be the Kim Kardashian of Disney movie villains, I always fail to remember why he was the villain or why he's even relevant. Hell, up until you said his name, I had forgotten it.

MLMVSS likes this.
  16. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Lmao, that’s a great way to describe Hans. I tried to like Frozen but I just can’t. Which is a shame, because it’s premise had heaps of potential.

Pentatonic likes this.
  17. thatcactusguy

thatcactusguy Fapstronaut

I like your ranking @SlayerofDarkness! Treasure Planet!!! is in S tier, which is probably why I agree with it so much (it's my favorite of the Disney animated films). The rest of them look good too.

I agree with a lot of comments in this thread about the ones you haven't seen. Fantasia is amazing (just for the historical timing alone as well as the visuals and the music), and a lot of the ones in the top row that you haven't seen are really great films.

My only change would be to move Brother Bear up to C or B tier ;) great rankings though!!!

18. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I figured that after my mini-rant, I should add my own ranking (yes, some Pixar thrown in too):

S tier (Unforgettable and absolutely perfect):
    • Dumbo
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Aladdin
    • Hunchback of Notre Dame
    • Mulan
    • Ratatouille
    • Wall-E
    • Wreck-it Ralph
    • Zootopia
    • Inside Out
    A tier (Enjoyable and near-perfect):
    • Fantasia
    • Snow White
    • Pinocchio
    • 101 Dalmatians
    • The Jungle Book
    • Winnie the Pooh
    • Great Mouse Detective
    • The Little Mermaid
    • Emperor’s New Groove
    • Lilo & Stitch
    • The Incredibles
    • Princess and the Frog
    • Tangled
    • Brave
    • Moana
    B tier (Bearable; movies I’d watch willingly if there was nothing else):
    • Cinderella
    • Lady and the Tramp
    • Sleeping Beauty
    • The Rescuers
    • The Lion King
    • Tarzan
    • Bolt
    • Finding Nemo
    • Monsters Inc
    • Monsters U
    C tier (I won’t choose to watch these willingly, but they aren’t terrible):
    • The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad
    • The Fox and the Hound
    • Hercules
    • Treasure Planet
    • Brother Bear
    • Meet the Robinsons
    D tier (The only time to watch these is during a bad case of insomnia):
    • Bambi
    • Alice in Wonderland
    • The Aristocats
    • Robin Hood
    • The Rescuers Down Under
    • Pocahontas
    • Atlantis
    • Cars
    F tier (You cannot pay me to watch these. They annoy me too much to even put me to sleep):
    • Peter Pan
    • Frozen
    • Frozen II

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    thatcactusguy likes this.
  19. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

Special note about Fantasia, since it was mentioned earlier: you cannot think about it as a regular story with a plot/characters/etc, because you’ll be sorely disappointed if you do. But when I didn’t look at it that way, I found that it was quite relaxing. Also, Fantasia is looooong for a Disney animation, so any hesitance or negativity is understandable.

But visuals & audio both help immensely, and are reasons why some of my ratings are higher. Brother Bear and Atlantis in particular would both be F-tier if it didn’t have the audiovisuals they did.

20. Fantasia

Fantasia Fapstronaut

1.Atlantis
    2.Treasure Planet
    3.Fantasia

Change my mind