1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Music and Lust

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. HereToFight

HereToFight Fapstronaut

Although I'm new here, I have already come across many useful information while seeking to overcome PM addiction. Here are some key things I would like to share, which could help someone out there, specially in the Christian context:

If any of you have already heard about satanist Alester Crowley, you know what kind of "doctrine" he advocated in his life. The one which says: "Do what thou wilt".

It happens that, many of the most famous musicians and artists in our time, seem to have some sort of admiration and be somewhat followers of that philosophy. But what does that have to do with lust? Well, it's simple: most of the modern music we hear everyday on youtube, radio and television, are silently leading people towards the "do what thou wilt" thing.

Mainly because of one thing: the fact that music has an effect upon our bodies and minds.

There are many of these different music styles to point out, but the clearest link you can find (by seeing what the musicians themselves have to say, and their story), are styles liked to blues, jazz and rock n' roll.

Actually, as far as I know, rock is indeed a type of music actually designed to lead people into fornication, thus the name they chose to represent this music style.

So, my point is: part of our struggle in overcoming PM may simple be a side effect of listening to certain types of music. If anyone is interested in diving a little deeper into this subject, I'm going to share a series of presentations into this subject:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  2. I can see how *lyrics* might put a bunch of garbage in your head that you're better off without. And most music *videos* are better skipped, as far as I can tell. But I do not know that there is anything in instrumental music that we can say is spiritually detrimental. I do not know of anything inherently wrong or bad about certain chord progressions, melodies, tones, or rhythms. Just speaking from my own experience. I look forward to learning more about yours.

CPilot likes this.
  3. HereToFight

HereToFight Fapstronaut

Yeah, this is not something you see being discussed a lot. But if you pay attention to pagan/tribal religions, have you realized what do they have in common?
    Most will have drums, and very rhythmic/polyrhythmic/syncopated ways of playing it. And they play the drums as part of their rituals, in which they seek to achieve a trance state, or the incorporation of spirits.

And guess what? Those rhythms are not so much different from the ones you might find in a pop song.

Music in general, has three major componentes:
    - Melody (which stimulates your emotional side - you can identify the music as being happy, sad, creepy, etc);
    - Harmony (affects the intellectual side - you must put some effort when trying to understand the different voices and instruments playing together);
    - Rhythm (it affects your body, make you want to get up to dance, or to march, or to exercise, or to run, etc).

So, when the rhythm is the most emphasized part of a particular song, you may expect your body to get more stimulated than your mind. And not only that, but different rhythms will trigger different body responses. Think, for example, about what happens in different music shows:
    - Classical music (low emphasis on rhythms): people pretty much stay seated, paying attention and quiet most of the time;
    - Military music: usually follows a rhythmic pattern designed to make soldiers march;
    - Rock music: people will jump, scream, raise their hands frenetically;
    - Heavy metal: people will actually start punching and beating one another, even their own friends;
    - Samba: people will dance in a sexual way, agitating their lower hips;
    - Bouce music/Hip hop (twerking): you probably get what I'm saying at this point, will avoid too much graphic descriptions;

Anyways, the very rhythms have an effect on people's bodies and minds, calling for different dance styles, movements and responses you wouldn't probably see if the music wasn't turned on in first place.

This is why, in the Christian setting, it is advisable to avoid using worldly rhythms, when making music for God.

Music can also be addictive, and all addictions work in the same area of the brain, stimulating the flesh in detriment of the mind/spirit.

4. I applaud and support your sincere desire for purity in body, mind, and spirit!

5. HereToFight

HereToFight Fapstronaut

Praise God! Really hope to be successful this time.

value and Tao Jones like this.
  6. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

I was gifted with zero talent for playing musical instruments and I think for this reason, I have seriously underestimated the practice, talent, perseverance and patience it takes to be a great musician. Fortunately, my wife is a fantastic musician so by watching her I have learned to appreciate the work required.

On the other hand, I love building and creating things of all types and thus I am in awe of beautiful creations others make because I have a better understanding of what that requires. I have been to see Da Vinci's painting of the Last Supper and I have been to see Michelangelo's sculpture, the Pieta. I could stare at these things for hours, appreciating every nuance because it is my opinion that when these great masters made these works they were inspired by God and sought to honor God with their work.

I expect the very same is true of the compositions by Bach and those like him who composed music for mass. I expect the same could be true today, regardless of the genre one chooses to compose in. Although they are not to my personal taste, a rap song or even a heavy metal song that is composed with a desire to glorify God, could be a beautiful and inspirational thing. Couldn't it?

Tao Jones likes this.
  7. HereToFight

HereToFight Fapstronaut

That's the point @CPilot, the very rhythm dishonours God, so it is not possible to use it in a way that would be honouring to God. And those very rhythms are harmful, so they cannot be used in a healthy way.

In Ezequiel 44:23 you find that God wants us to difference between the holy and the profane. What most christians fail to understand, is that we can't honour God, our Holy Father, with profane music and profane music styles, whose effects are degrading to human minds, bodies and character. Music is not neutral, it affects a person. As you described being in awe by a mere painting, music can also produce such effects upon people, and not only that, music can make you feel joyful, sad, fearful, can make you cry, dance, and can also make you desire for sex.

That's the point I'm trying to make here. If we do not pay attention to the kind of music we listen to, we might be fighting a temptation which we might be silently feeding constantly, without knowing, because music is not neutral, it affects mind, body and soul.

Think about it this way: would it be acceptable to introduce drugs into a church service? Why not? There are people who love it, and maybe it could be used out of a desire to glorify God (when desires are the guide, instead of principles, limits virtually do not exist anymore, as everyone becomes their own standards). But God would not be glorified by employing "strange fire" [Numbers 26:61] in his worship. Neither would He be glorified in the using of something harmful to His children.

In short, rap, rock, metal, you name it: most music styles out there were rather created in Satan's music studio, and were not made to help you out in fighting temptation. That's what I'm trying to say.

8. I think we have to take advice like this with the full Scripture in mind. Titus 1:15 also remains true. As does 1 Corinthians 8. Aside from the law to love one another, we operate in grace and freedom in Christ. We are no longer under the law. It has been fulfilled in Christ.

It is a very hard thing to lay down an extra-biblical command for all to follow. When we try to do so, it usually says more about us than anything else.

9. HereToFight

HereToFight Fapstronaut

It's not a command @Tao Jones, but a piece of information, and advice.
    I'm not the one linking those music styles with profanity and Satan, it's the musicians themselves.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
    Tao Jones likes this.
  10. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Please let me offer an example to measure these ideas by.

Younger generations seem to like rap music. It has been around for a number of years now and like rock and roll, it seems it is here to stay. Even though I doubt I would like it, someone has probably written a rap song that is religious and it would be a mistake to alienate them from worshipping God by trying to tell them their style of music is fundamentally evil. As Christians, we are called to love one another, regardless of whether we like each other or not. Surely Christ wants us to look for things that unite us and not look for reasons to divide ourselves or to judge others. Please let us work to draw people to Christ as our top priority and help them with the ugly addiction of PMO as one means of doing so.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    value and Tao Jones like this.
  11. Some of the logic here seems to be based on spiritual experience regarding these music styles. So I would like to throw my own experience in here, being into heavy metal since birth. This music has a way of making me feel aggressive, and violent thoughts often pop up, which is in line with your thinking. However, there are rock/metal bands which do not have this effect on me. Petra and Theocracy for example, keeps me at spiritual ease. So it is not always the case that these styles give birth to ungodly behaviour, but it very often is.

And can these styles be likened to drugs? To prefer metal is to prefer drugs? Drugs are objectively bad, probably because they make you morally dysfunctional. And they keep you in a state where you, won't seek God. So is metal the same? Well most of metal does that to a lesser extent I think, and should therefore be avoided. But, since I can think of a few exceptions I wouldn't liken it to drugs.

So if we narrow our focus towards Christian metal. Then we could ask questions like: Is this trying to please the world? Are we taking something worldly and slamming a "Christian" title on it? And it seems like metal came from the world, so why would Christians try to adopt it? And these are questions I wrestle with, I admit that there is a possibility that you are completely right. But then if I where to answer the questions I asked, I would say: Where did music come from? Well, from God. So can Satan really own a particular style?

It is biblical to say that Satan rules the world, and therefore, many inventions where made by non-Christians. So can you use a Windows computer then? No, because it came from a non-Christian, just like metal. What other things can I not use? So, something came from an unbeliever->it is worldly->It should be avoided. I don't think this logic works.

If we are to establish these styles as bad, I think we need a different line of reasoning, unless there is a logical mistake I made.

CPilot, value and Tao Jones like this.
  12. Our focus is Christ. Our primary directive is to love one another. Anything that puts the focus on Christ and is involved with the very real work of love is acceptable.

Love God with everything you've got, commit your way to him, and remain vitally connected to him each day -- and then move forward boldly into the world. We are to be *in* it for a reason!

From Colossians 2 (and I recommend reading the entire chapter and , indeed, the entire short letter):
    20 You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the spiritual powers of this world. So why do you keep on following the rules of the world, such as, 21 “Don’t handle! Don’t taste! Don’t touch!”? 22 Such rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them. 23 These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, pious self-denial, and severe bodily discipline. But they provide no help in conquering a person’s evil desires.

13. value

value Fapstronaut

Maybe that is something you could personalize a little more. Personally, I don't like watching movies because of the high probability of triggers - but saying that movies are inherently evil isn't going to bring me forward in my recovery either.

You have to discern what has a probability to trigger you and create a strategy to avoid it without trying to make others feel bad about it - this is your journey and noone else's.

CPilot and Tao Jones like this.
  14. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Thanks for raising a topic for us each to consider and express some things which are important to us. May God bless you today and everyday.

value, SwedishViking and Tao Jones like this.