1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

100 Cold Approaches

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by StoicContemplation, Dec 12, 2020.

1. StoicContemplation

StoicContemplation Fapstronaut

14 approaches. 1 number

It's been a long time since I did a daygame session like this. I didn't feel like approaching women today, so I really had to drag myself out of my house. It's like feeling tired and not wanting to go for a run. But when you wait for energy and motivation before going for a run, you might be waiting your whole life.

It's the same with daygame. You can't just wait for the moment of "being in the mood for daygame". There exists no such thing. You will never be in the mood. There will always be an excuse ready. Maybe you're too tired. Maybe you have a pimple. Maybe you don't have the perfect clothes. Maybe you think it's too cold outside. Maybe your diet isn't in check. Maybe you don't have the ideal NoFap streak.

My perfectionism has long been an obstacle for taking action. Defeating myself with inappropriate goals and standards. Thinking that if I fail, that that's an overwhelming personal defeat. Evaluating my performance exlcusively on the outcome, regardless of my individual effort.

I've been doing push-ups in public lately and that really helps against the AA. My mindset has become healthier, i.e. having more self-esteem without needing the approval of others. So now I experience less fear and shame when I'm running after a girl. If she ignores me, I don't catastrophize and think "what does this rejection say about me?"

53/100

2. StoicContemplation

Yesterday I did 8 sets. 1 number.

Street approaches during a Friday evening are tough. It was between 6-8 pm, so a lot of girls were going to a certain place [meeting friends, boyfriend] so most girls that were walking alone weren't open for a chat. I got blanked/ignored a lot. I went out with other wingmen.

For one approach I had to do a considerable run to open. It was an Italian eurocrat girl and we get talking. She goes out of her way to take her smartphone and show her the town she's from on Google Maps. Chat goes fine and she asks me questions. Maybe after 8 minutes her Dutch boyfriend comes. He's cool, we shake hands. I respectively back off. I found it weird because I didn't get the feeling that this girl was on her way to meet somebody.

Another approach that led to a nice chat was a French student. She didn't ask me a lot of questions but she was standing still and smiling a lot, so I kept going. When I try to number close, she says that she has a boyfriend. When I usually get that response, I throw the towel in the ring... During a 'debrief', my daygame buddies suggested me to try again when she says that, especially when it's a long conversation like I had. Maybe next time I'll say something like "Is he a real or an imaginary boyfriend?"

The number I got was from a Bulgarian-Turkish girl. But she ignored my text.

61/100

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  3. StoicContemplation

4 approaches. 1 i-date. 1 date. 2 kisses.

If you would have told me that I was going to kiss 2 different girls who are both doctors within the same time span of 2 hours tonight, I wouldn't have believed you.

So I had a date tonight and I decided to go to the city a bit earlier to do some approaches.

I meet with my wingmen. I do 3 approaches. No severe blow-outs but the girls aren't interested.

Then there's the 4th approach. I initiate a jog and tell her that she has a dreamy look. She's a Brazilian ICU doctor who just arrived in the country 2 days ago. I bounce her for an instant date. It's a pleasant conversation. We talk a bit about our background and what not. She likes Russian literature. We talk about concepts like "progress", and she says how progress in society isn't always a good thing.

Our legs are touching. She's looking at me pretty intensively. I touch her hand and she reciprocates. I have a time constraint so we leave the bar. We walk a bit and then I kiss her in public. She kisses me back pretty intensively.

I go to my date. A Belgian girl with Italian roots who is an ER doctor. I approached her a month ago but she always had night shifts so no time for a date. It's the same bar where I had the date with the Italian-English expat [who is now in Italy]. Again, it's a nice conversation. She makes the effort to keep the conversation going. Towards the end of the date we talk about Italian hand gestures. I then ask her "and... what does this mean?" whilst going for the kiss. She also kisses me back pretty intensively. We walk towards the train station. I kiss her 2 more times. I take the metro and she the train.

I'm not sure if this is "NoFap superpowers". I guess it's a combination of action and luck. But NoFap plays a big role in this journey. I don't think I would be doing this if I was still numbing my brain with P.

65/100

Last edited: Oct 31, 2022
  4. Yeaaah!!

5. Wow, I read to these stories and I feel nothing but admiration towards you, for real!

I've been hesitant about starting approaching, but I know that I should take action like NOW.
    I keep telling myself "Right now I'm not ready" or "This is not the best moment" but at the end they all are excuses and excuses... I can sense my fear of rejection, the awkwardness of approaching makes me feel anxious but whenever I miss intentionally an opportunity to approach the feeling of regret - the "what if..." and "I should have done it" - is just worse :(

I even bought a book recently about this topic, cold approaching but haven't decided to start it yet, as I'm pretty afraid of rejection. I want to start cold approaching soon, so the sooner I can defeat that fear the better I'll feel with myself.
    I hope that what I'm saying here makes sense.

Also, I have this mental limitation that is probably also helping me being avoidant about approaching: I'm leaving this city in 3 months. So I keep telling myself that I shouldn't approach because getting dates for the next weeks won't be useful at all. But I know getting experience would be nice too, so I don't know what to think at the end. What do you think about this (for everyone)? Is it still good to start approaching even though I'm leaving this location in a few months?

This was a long post, it helped me clear my mind a little and I hope to receive cool answers.
    Thanks again for this thread, it's pretty inspiring and I hope more and more people start taking action too.

6. StoicContemplation

Yesterday 4 approaches. 1 number. Today 1 approach.

I met up with my wings and two of them were dressed up as Santa Claus because it was Halloween. It was funny, a lot of people wanted pictures with them. I think it's a good way to get comfortable doing something uncomfortable. But there was no approach vibe.

Although I think approaching in the evening is harder, it shouldn't be an excuse. Yeah most girls are in groups and girls that walk alone are going from A to B. They aren't just hovering around. But my encounter of yesterday shows that adopting this belief is extremely limiting. So what if most girls reject you during the evening? Isn't that the case for cold approach in general? Every rejection makes you stronger anyway.

I have one number but she was reluctant to give it and I don't believe it will lead to anywhere because she didn't ask me any question [I don't see the contact in WhatsApp]. I said that her outfit reminded me of The Matrix.

Sometimes I think I'm a bit too nice. Like I want to find a connection/agree with everything a girl says. The problem is that a girl probably gets that from all the guys she meets. But you don't stand out like that. The truth is that you don't push a girl's buttons when you're an agreeable nice guy who says "oh you're in sales? cool!". Besides, treating her like she's special is not really genuine, because there's an agenda. You're expecting something in return. You think that if you give her approval, that you will get her approval back. Sexual dynamics don't work like that. Girls are always eager to qualify themselves [i.e. invest] in guys who are a bit cocky.

The last approach yesterday was an indirect opener on the metro. Two girls were dressed up for Halloween so I asked them where they were going to party. It led to a nice conversation but they were a bit too young for me.

Today I did one approach. I tried to challenge the girl a bit. I said something about her English. She says her English is good. I make a gesture with my hand and say that her English ok, but not great. She says wow and bites her lips. But it didn't go anywhere eventually.

70/100

Thanks for your post, buddy!

Having approach anxiety is normal. There is no magic bullet against it. Waiting for your anxiety to disappear before you do approaches is like waiting to be healthy before jogging. Action comes first, then the motivation. There are no shortcuts.

That's why I would advice you to do indirect openers first with no pressure of a conversation. Or try to do 'hit-and-runs' by giving girls flyby compliments.

The fact that you're about to move city shouldn't be an obstacle. I see cold approaching more of a process-orientated journey instead of a result-orientated one. If you start approaching in your current city, you will already have some experience when you're moving, and you can build on that. My situation isn't "ideal" either. I live in the countryside. Yet that doesn't stop me from meeting and dating girls in the city. I put on my shoes, get out of my house, jump on my bicycle and take public transportation to go to my capital city.

If you wait on a situation to be ideal, you might be waiting a very long time... Men who get success are men who accept their situation and take action. That doesn't mean that it's always easy.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Roosevelt

Hopeful Dreamer likes this.
  7. I used to be like that too. In fact, ask yourself where this kindness comes from. Women love nice guys. Cocky men often hide a lot of insecurities, and a need for attention that women detect very quickly.
    A man who has a good self-esteem brings goodness around him. And women love it, because it's what creates very cool relationships.
    Of course, approving everything when you don't agree with what she says is a lie. It doesn't work. I think the challenge is to gradually open up to others and express yourself.
    This thing is a marathon. It takes time

8. StoicContemplation

2 dates. 3 approaches. 1 number

So I had a date with a Venezuelan girl I approached last Thursday. She speaks zero English. A tiny bit of French, but not enough to have a conversation. We had to communicate a lot through Google Translate. Sometimes she just spoke Spanish to me with me not understanding one word. But it was fun. There was kino. Putting my hand on her legs, on her back, etc. She touched me too. I tried to kiss close a few times but she always rejected whilst saying "pas aujourd'hui'.

Afterwards I had a date with the Brazilian girl whom I had an i-date with this weekend. Eventually, I felt no attraction at all. So I just had a drink with her and after that, I said that I had to go home.

Before that date I approached a girl in the line of a bank ATM. I open indiretly by saying "how long do you think this line takes?". We get chatting. She's a French vet student. She asked me a few questions so I go for the number close before it's her turn. I ask her name and I take out my phone. She immediately says "no". Ouch! But that's okay. I'm glad that I shot my shot.

I also approached a cute Indian tourist who is travelling alone. She leaves tomorrow but I don't think I will try to go for a date because normally I'm seeing a friend tomorrow.

After the date I approached a girl eating a Belgian waffle, saying that she looks happy. An Italian-American girl from New Jersey. We get into a conversation. Instead of finding a connection about everything, I teased her a bit. I tried to bounce for an instant date, but she rejects. We just walked a bit together. It was pleasant. She said that she appreciated my forwardness.

73/100

Hopeful Dreamer likes this.
  9. Hey everyone, I finally did it, my first cold approach!!!

And I got rejected It was really random, very awkward for both the girl and me, I made a lot of mistakes (I was pretty nervous but not that bad you know) and well... she just said she had to go and I'm happy with the results: I finally dared to do it!

I'm proud of myself. I feel relieved that I finally tried it and now I want to keep going, it's not as bad as you think.
    I used the opener of "Hey I thought you looked interesting and wanted to talk to you" but I probably said it wrong and in my native language which is kinda strange for me still (I'm used to flirt in English as I was in the US for 5 months this summer).

Anyways, I wanted to report it here. And I'll keep going, the more I read the book I bought and the testimonials the more enthusiastic I am about this journey!

And thank you Stoic for this message, it really hit me and changed my perspective on the cold-approaching stuff. It's more about getting out of the shell and start taking risks, not thinking that everything will go right and be successful more often than not. So now I'm trying to focus on the process and forget about the results, it'll be fun, I have that gut feeling!

Hope everyone is good and will of course text here soon with my next approaches which I expect to happen very soon! :)

10. StoicContemplation

A few days ago I did nightgame. I first did some solo 'evening game' on the streets. A few nice interactions, but no numbers. Then I went out with a friend and his friends.

I can add 14 approaches. I don't have much impetus to write about the approaches, whereas I used to describe them in detail in the past. I had a nice chat with a Lebanese girl. It was actually a friend who approached 2 girls outside. I joined later and then the Lebanese girl, who was a friend of these girls, joined later too. I started talking to her. It was nice, when I touched her arm, she touched mine. I got her number and am texting her.

Talking to girls during the night is different. Sometimes I feel that I need to entertain girls. "What do I need to say so that I can be funny?" But only being a clown isn't good either. But you need some amused mastery where you communicate that you don't take life too seriously. It needs a spice of mythology... With daytime approaches it's less of a big deal, I think.

87/100

Thanks, man. That's a good mindset you have there. Looking forward to read more about your journey!

RightPath likes this.
  11. StoicContemplation

I did 45 approaches this week.

On Monday I did nightgame with a friend. Before that I approached a French girl at a university campus who I normally have a date with on Tuesday. 9 approaches, nothing special.

Friday I did a long daygame session where I did 32 approaches. 3 numbers. None of them replied. Some of them were nice conversations with girls blushing etc.

Today I did some daygame too... 2 approaches in. Girls don't give me a chance to talk. I walk a bit more, waiting on a wing. A girl passes who makes eye contact. I open and say that she has nice eyes. I add conversational pieces by saying that she has a dreamy look, how everyone is so stressed but that she looks relaxed, etc. She says that's because she believes in God. Before I know, she is doing all the work and asking me questions. A Moroccon girl. She then says "Do you want to walk?". I suggest drinking a coffee. She then takes me to a hookah bar. We order a hookah and mint tea. We go upstairs and sit next to eachother. I'm thinking it's on.

She does a lot of the talking. I tried to break the touch barrier a few times but she objected to this. I'm not going to analyze the interaction I had with her any further. I think she did set the frame that I was more like a younger brother, as she is 29. But the fact remains that it was a pleasant spontaneous interaction with a nice girl and all of this just happened because I took action.

This is what cold approaching looks like:

NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. YES.

100/100
    32/100

I'm not sure if I will still be actively logging my approaching. The degree of detail in which I describe the approaches has declined. I think that's because doing an approach isn't a novel experience anymore. On the other hand, I didn't really describe the first few approaches either. There was a time where I would dedicate paragraphs to describe the fact that I asked a girl for directions lol. Good times! But I don't think I can completely let go off this thread...

Spirituss likes this.
  12. Warrior4Freedom

Warrior4Freedom Fapstronaut

Focus on Yourself man...girls tend to focus on security first, and a strange dude approaching them is the antithesis of that. It sucks and is shitty, I know. I admire your gumption and balls, really. But by security, I mean they tend to look to guys in their social circles that they're part of. It's mostly when they get older they realise the folly of this.

13. wow man 45 approaches.
    I only did 2 this weekend ahah.
    I think daygame is really good to grow, but in terms of result, it takes a lot of time. Going out, getting rejected, meeting women who give you their number, everything is cool and yet they don't answer, it's very common.

I only approach when I have a crush on a woman, which happens a few times a week. I think approaching a lot is part of the process of discovering yourself. But at some point, it's also good to let go of that to get back to a normal life. To have friends, a passion, to go deep into your relationships to create something fulfilling. And sometimes when you want to meet a woman you go out a little more and you take more action, without necessarily going to extremes.

Daygame brings a lot. But it also has its dark sides. It also has its sides where it sometimes adds frustration and a feeling of doing things wrong, of lacking something to make it work, of not having and being enough. When it's all wrong.

14. Varangian Guardsman

Varangian Guardsman Fapstronaut

15. Bastion23

Bastion23 Fapstronaut

Bro, first off I just want to say a huge well done, been reading through the thread and have to say it’s super inspiring. This is a key part of my life which I have been neglecting and keep chickening out but it’s really encouraging to hear about your experiences.

Think what you said about deciding within a few seconds and going for it is really good advice when approaching someone. I find I end up deciding for a minute and then coming up with excuses for the next 2 until the opportunity passes and inevitably feel pretty disappointed with myself. Just doing it within a few seconds means you don’t have that time to make an excuse which is definitely what I need. I’ll be starting my journey soon but will keep coming back here to see how you’re progressing. Thanks very much for sharing and being an inspiration to others here!

16. StoicContemplation

Tuesday I did 9 approaches and got 5 numbers.

Today I did 30 approaches and got 7 numbers.

It's funny how, before a daygame session, the approach anxiety and weaseling are still kicking my ass. But then I do a few approaches and *poof*, I enter a state where it's pretty easy to approach girls. I run after a girl and open with joy and get pretty good reactions too. This feeling is magical. It's almost like a supernatural power. But then the next time I'm about to do daygame, my brain selectively forgets this and the usual negative thoughts are haunting me again "You'll look like a fool!", "She will have a boyfriend!", "People will see you get rejected. It will be humiliating!" etc.

So the fear will always be there. I just need to be able to plough through the first approaches which are absolutely gutting, and then I get into a mood where I can easily do more than 20 approaches it seems. Going out with other guys who do this helped me a lot though. Today I also did approaches before and after I met with my wingmen. Sometimes I feel that I need the "structure" of meeting other daygamers in order to do an approach. I will have to do some solo daygame too.

I'm being pretty direct lately. I usually tell a girl that she looks relaxed and that I want to know why. Girls know that I'm flirting. This is different when you use an indirect opener like "where can I find the closest supermarket?". I don't really see myself using these kind openers anymore for street approaches. Today I multiple times inserted the statement that the girl looks nice and that I want to say hi. With some girls I said "You know I'm hitting on you right?" after a few minutes of talking... It's a striking realization that most girls seem to enjoy being approached, even if they are not interested. Why do we always have these negative thoughts that paralyze us when reality doesn't seem to correspond these negative predictions?

71/100

Cheers for your post man! I'm really glad you enjoyed reading this thread. It's a pretty large document at this point lol. I hope you can share your own stories soon!

100 Days and Bastion23 like this.
  17. Sondae

Sondae Fapstronaut

This is actually a really cool approach to dealing with social anxiety, especially with women. I personally haven't done this with women in particular, but I took a similar approach when trying to ease my anxiety in public. I often forced myself to have interactions with people, even if they were minor. Asking for directions used to be impossible for me, and I would often feel small in public spaces. I'm slowly getting better. I hope this has worked out for you.

18. TheCarver

TheCarver Fapstronaut

i mean i probably can do that and ask for directions, but i find it too stupid and embarrassing for me in 2022 asking for directions in the age of smartphones and smartwatches.

Sondae likes this.
  19. TheCarver

TheCarver Fapstronaut

does anyone think that i should start cold approaching once i get a decent streak in nofap? i have too much social and approach anxiety, and i heard nofap reduces it and i am patiently waiting for it to go away. i would say i am almost at 2 weeks now.

dating apps are a sick joke for me, and i do nothing else activity wise besides go to work at chemical plant.

20. Sondae

Sondae Fapstronaut

Fair actually. I suppose that was just an example because I don't think I've even done that myself. Maybe more along the lines of complimenting people (without the intent of getting their number or anything). I told a Barnes & Noble cashier she had a cool shirt and after that I started realizing it's not too hard to just speak up and say a quick little something.