1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I call/text her after a month?

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by elmo3334, May 20, 2016.

1. elmo3334

elmo3334 Fapstronaut

So there's this girl who's really sweet and maybe shy. We would bump into each other at work and chat a bit, but not more than a minute or so because it always was very busy (no flirting was involved) Her last day at work she left some important documents on my desk and left. When I finally got around to them I discovered she had left a small piece of paper with her name and number on it. I was actually pretty surprised because this had never happened before to me. So after a few days I called her up and we went for coffee. It went well, but it seemed I would initiate most of the conversation. She also mentioned she had some personal issues going on that period several times. Now I have to say I'm not experienced when it comes to dating (this was my first ever) so when I payed for the coffee and walked her to the place she was going to meet her sister (it was in my direction so I offered) because I was still very uncertain of my feelings I didn't initiate a second date idea. We simply kissed on the cheeks (common friendly greeting in my country) and went our separate ways. Now, I decided I was truly uncertain of my feelings but would like to go out with her one more time. On the other hand I felt like I should give her a way out if she didn't feel the same. So I texted her the next day (late hours) telling her how much I enjoyed talking to her and I thanked her for finding the time to see me even though she was preoccupied with other affairs (I never knew what they were; it didn't seem right to ask on a first date) and wished her well on the matter. And afterwards I told her I would be "receptive" (that's as close a word as I can find to what I said in my language) of another outing with her if she found the time and wanted to. She responded likewise and said she would like to talk to me again when her personal affairs allow her to. After a couple weeks I texted her again wishing her happy Easter she responded likewise. It's been a month since our date. I've been really distant to girls because of my habit and I think the idea of a first date helped to abstain from it for a while. Please help!

2. She made the first move, she really digs you, mate.

Contact her again and go out. Perhaps she needs distraction from her affairs. Maybe she's waiting to see if you are interested enough to set up a second meeting with her since she is the one that initiated the first meeting.

Faint heart never won fair maiden, mate. ;) Get in touch with her!

Best to you.

Rav70 and elmo3334 like this.
  3. 8BitsOfStuggling

8BitsOfStuggling Fapstronaut

Well... Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I respect encouragement, but at the same time there is such thing as bad encouragement. From what @elmo3334 you have told us, it sounds like it went well and you most certainly should have followed up with it sooner, so follow up with it now. Don't make excuses, if she asks what takes you so long, you say that you wanted to be respectful of her and what she was going through, so you wanted to make sure to give a little time a space. However, time and space is long passed and if you are interested in her, if you think she is fun and you might want to date her, the only way you can find that out is if you pursue it. I know dating is scary, especially since this is still new to you. However, while age changes, people change, looks change, personalities change, jobs, and life change - one thing never does. If you want to date a girl, you have to act. That will never change, so while it's scary, you should most definitely ask for another date. Be intentional though, don't say "hey do you want to hang out?" or some form of slang in your language, ask her out to a date.

The rule I pretty much always followed is the 3-contact rule. This is a rule more over to protect myself, because when we like someone our judgement is clouded. The 3-contact rule is essentially if you ask once, and they say no, but don't offer a alternative time, you do so a total of 3 times. After the 3rd time, if there is no attempt or reciprocation, you move on. Don't throw yourself at her feet, 2 or 3 times tops is enough chance. Sounds to me the way you wrote about her that see seems like a decent woman, at the least, from what you chose to share and know.

Regardless, get in touch, don't be non-nonchalant about it. Be direct, yet polite, ask her over the phone or in person, not over text. And lastly, don't waste your time coming up to the date texting back and forth about everything that is happening, or you will find it very hard to spark conversation at the date. Scheduling the date a couple days out is great, it will give you both time to think and be excited about it, and also not talk to much. If you are in the middle of something and she tries to contact you, show her the respect she deserves and say you are busy but you will respond later.

Good luck!

4. elmo3334

elmo3334 Fapstronaut

First of all thank you for all the advice, I really have no experience in dating and I'm afraid I blew it. This was my first date ever as I mentioned after all. I thought I would feel something more than just confused and that would help me make a decision and suggest a second date. Didn't happen though. Is this normal?

Plus I expected to spark a conversation with her after I sent her a text wishing her Happy Easter which she responded to in the same manner and never initiated something else. If she was interested wouldn't she?

Finally, do you really think that after a month I should call her? I'm afraid it will be too uncomfortable for both if she is not into me anymore. The reason I'm asking is because most people I asked suggested I text, but you seem to have a different opinion on the matter and I respect that. It seems like you know what you're talking about. Any other suggestion would be welcome? Thanks!

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  5. 8BitsOfStuggling

I would call her, if you can't be able to talk to her in person for a few seconds to ask her on a date, than how can you expect to go on a real date? There are two things that can stem out of calling her, well, three-ish.

First, she answers, she respects that you are calling her. You explain that you got busy and life happened, but that you want to go on a date, she says yes. You schedule it for 2 days out, Bam you have a date!

Secondly, she answer, thinks its weird, and you are out absolutely nothing. Because you aren't currently dating her anyways, so who cares?

Thirdly, she doesn't answer. You leave a message, try her 1 more time in a day or two, if she doesn't answer, you move on. No harm done.

I also want to point out, you didn't even know if she was into you in the first place, so who cares if you think she might be into you now or not. Give it a shot, have a date, go have fun! Maybe she was, maybe you drifted to the back of her mind, and a phone call will bring it back, maybe not. A phone call for most people is much more demanding, meaningful, and offers a actual decision. If you feel like she is blowing you off, saying something like "well yeah, we might be able to do something in a few weeks," than be weary. Set a specific date or a followup call, if she wants to go out again with you she will comply. If she is waiting on a work schedule or something, than say "how about I call you on X day, and we set a date then?" and leave it at that!

Any of the three options you still are out on a positive, either you learn and you get a date, or you just learn, either way it's good for you. Texting is a copout our generation uses, and frankly we disadvantage ourselves. I am 22, so I wouldn't consider myself an old "whippersnapper." But the truth is, if you text her, she might be busy, she might forget to respond or tell herself she will respond later - and then forget. Leaving you only 2 options, move on when she might have actually said yes, or message her again and hope she isn't busy or doesn't forget, because at some point you begin to sound desperate - which you do not want to do.

I know it sounds manipulative, but a thing I used to do if a girl made me ask more than 1 time would be when she reciprocated by saying "Hey! Blah blah blah, I have been busy, how about Friday night?" I would often respond by saying, "actually have I plans then, how about this instead?" What this does is say, hey I am not busy, nor am I at your beck and call, but yet I am not a jerk. But I only did this when she was being difficult to contact, if she was easy to get a hold of and schedule with, than I would also make it easy. But if she wasn't, I would make a statement that I am not rescheduling other things just for her.

As for the second paragraph you wrote, I don't respond to happy Easter or any holiday texts really. I think they are ridiculous most of the time. The majority of time I get one, it is obvious its a group message sent to the masses, and I don't frankly have time for that crap. Similar to wishing every single person I have on Facebook a happy birthday when it says to, my very important people? Perhaps I write a tailored post for them, but other wise I just ignore it. Her response to your Easter text could have very possibly been just a "obligatory" response, because it's something everyone and their great grandmother feels they must do. I recommend abstaining from those type of thing, have meaningful conversations and it will get you much further.

You can't always expect sparks to fly on the first date, for all you know she was going through something, or hell even on her period for that first date, which can make some girls feel awful and even ashamed that they know they aren't being a great date. Unless the date is horrible, if I think I might like the girl, I would try for a second.

PS, if you really like a girl, unless she is some tom-boy, most will appreciate ol' chivalry. Open the car door for her when she is getting in, don't run around the car like her personal butler to open it when you arrive at your destination, but when approaching the car, take the 15 seconds to make sure she gets in the car without trouble, its a small gesture that goes a very long ways for some women. Not all though!!!

The world of dating is not nearly as scary if you utilize the fact that you are confident enough to try, even if she might say no, and humble enough to have a voice to voice call, don't hide behind texts, not in the early stages.

elmo3334 and Child of God like this.
  6. Child of God

Child of God Fapstronaut

8BitsOfStuggling gives great advice @elmo3334. Definitely listen. Also,

Let her know you like her, that you aren't putting her on the backburner. Make sure it is clear that the reason you gave her space was respect for her situation, or any other good reason you think caused it, just not negligence.

Most importantly though, I want to give you some advice for when you start really dating this girl, or any other girl in the future.

Always put yourself first. Every lasting, healthy relationship works on self-respect. Here are your priorities:

1) What you believe in. Everything that is fundementally important to you should never change for your partner. You should always listen to them and learn from them, but never change the way you treat the world to earn their affection.

2) Your life. It sounds counter intuitive, but it's important! Your partner deserves every ounce of respect you can manage, but your life should not be put on hold while you are dating. Both of you should understand that you have things that you enjoy and require, apart from each others' company, so that you both continue to resemble the awesome, independent people that you first were attracted to.

3) Your partner's life. This is where all the relationship stuff goes. Making time for eachother, having dates, taking interest in eachother's lives, etc. Everything you typically hear about relationships is priority number three.

I know this is not the step you are on with this girl, I'm not trying to freak you out, but I think it's important to take every relationship seriously. Anytime you date someone without the end goal in mind (a potential spouse), you are just setting yourself up for heartbrake.

Keep it fun and casual man, the dating experience should be one of the most enjoyable things you do in this part of your life. Just remember not to let it take over your life, and hopefully you can build some healthy, long-lasting relationships!

Good luck man, I hope you found my experience/opinion helpful!

elmo3334 likes this.
  7. Rav70

Rav70 Fapstronaut

You have absolutely nothing to lose by calling her. Just do it. :)

elmo3334 likes this.
  8. elmo3334

elmo3334 Fapstronaut

Thank you guys for all the help and advice. I agree on all the good points you have made me aware of through your experiences and I will try to put them into good use. Unfortunately, I just saw theses posts so I didn't use them all when I contacted her, but I felt like I should share with you an update, since you so kindly went out of the way to help me. I figured it would be rude not to.

I sent her a message yesterday telling her I was thinking about her and I asked how she was doing. She responded she was doing well herself but still busy, mentioning here family issue (this time clarifying it was her grandmothers health). She also asked how I was doing. I then responded back wishing here grandmother well and proceeded to apologize for not getting in touch with her earlier due to some issues myself. I then emphasized that I didn't forget her. She said it was OK and that she had personal affairs anyways, wishing me well on my own issues. I followed up by lightening the mood with a funny remark about my job without her being around anymore (here internship had finished there) and she responded in the same funny tone. Finally I told her I would really like to see here again this week if she could find the time.

Now I don't like reading too much into text (that's probably why it was better to call as you suggested) but her response was very short and I think it didn't mirror my enthusiasm. She basically said "OK" and stopped the conversation by saying - in free translation from my language - "See ya!". To tell you the truth I was just happy I set myself out there about my intentions and wasn't really that bothered (after all she at least responded). So I just messaged back to her saying that whenever she finds the time she can text me and we can plan something. I then ended the conversation by wishing here a good evening. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's safe to say I shouldn't wait to hear from here again.

I'm sure I've made many mistakes on my first attempt, but I hope I learn from them and proceed to make new ones.... just joking! Seriously though, I'm really glad I got out there and that I tried. This has been a great learning experience for me and thank you again guys for helping out.

P.S. Any mistakes I made when texting here please feel free and point them out to me. I love learning!

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    Child of God likes this.
  9. Rav70

Rav70 Fapstronaut

Yep wait for her. Ball is in her court. I'm glad you took the chance. If it doesn't pay off one day it might. Good luck

elmo3334 likes this.
  10. Child of God

Child of God Fapstronaut

It sounds like you did well. I think there is a lot of potential here! Just stay empathetic with her and be patient. At the very least you will learn a lot. Good luck!

elmo3334 likes this.
  11. 8BitsOfStuggling

There is certainly a learning curve with it. I would agree with you, time to drop it and move on. "OK" is not a sufficient response for me to ever want to continue, its not personal, it just shows a lack of interest. Don't worry about her and continue to work on yourself. As the one post above said, focusing on yourself, learning who you are, is one of the best things you can do both in and out of the dating world.

For future reference, and I don't know how you said it (so I could be entirely wrong), but "letting a girl know you were thinking about her" over text should always be a flag to you, don't do it. Sparking legitimate conversation is different. Other than that, I wouldn't stress to much. You might have had a slightly better chance if you called, or you may not have - it all depends on the girl. It sounds to me like she is doing the "polite, passive" way of saying I am not interested. It's something many girls do, its quite horrible actually, don't let it string you along. Move forward without her.

Everyone needs baby steps to get into the game. Finding a groove that works for you is important. You can't date and be someone else, you will always fail. I don't know what it is, but often another person can sniff out if something doesn't seem genuine, or if it does. If it doesn't seem genuine, it can be a huge turn-off, how a person perceives character actually plays a lot into how attractive they think you are. Be yourself, continue to develop yourself, and you will have no problem finding women to date!

elmo3334 likes this.
  12. vulture175

vulture175 Fapstronaut

@elmo3334 : do you still have feeling to her? was that falling in love at the first sight :p. creating a relationship with no connection is tough. she already left. but u said she maybe shy, then maybe texting is a good idea?
    u said u were uncertain of ur feeling, so are you certain of ur feeling now :p?

so yeah if i were u, i would send her a few more messages (btw the messages shouldn't be general like anytime, something... cuz this kinda like finish the conversation and u both will get bored very quickly :p). Then if she's still not interested. then just like other guys said above: move on with your journey of developing urself.

still curious if ur certain of ur feeling now :p

elmo3334 likes this.
  13. elmo3334

elmo3334 Fapstronaut

Just a small update before this thread is declared officially closed. I texted here again 2 days later suggesting a time and place to an event I thought would be nice to go to. Unfortunately she turned it down graciously, due to obligations at her village, without suggesting a possible meeting afterwards. I want to thank you all again for helping me out. I'll try to put into action everything that this encounter and you have taught me so far and next time I feel I'll do better because of your feedback. Thank you again for everything!

P.S. One thing that really bugs me though is that she made the first move, and I probably really messed up to make her dislike me on our first one on one encounter. What I mean is that I assume it's easier when someone's already in to you to develop a relationship that when you have to work up to that point first.What can I say! I guess I have to improve a lot!

I didn't feel a connection on our first date. There was certainly a physical attraction though. And the whole idea of getting a second date was possibly to clear up the air of uncertainty for me.

I just felt because it was my first date and I am lacking much of experience that maybe I should have done things differently that's all.

I'm not pining because I feel something for her that she clearly doesn't feel for me, nor am I chasing her. Just thought maybe I should give it a second chance.

She's a nice girl. I didn't feel the chemistry though and I think she didn't feel it either. Was that a good enough reason to not have a second date? I didn't know the answer to that, so I asked you guys. [​IMG]

Child of God likes this.
  14. Child of God

Child of God Fapstronaut

May you see much better results in your future attempts! You will meet someone else. You can always find someone else (eventually) and now you are prepared! Good luck