1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

30 Day Rejection Challenge

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Iggy, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Iggy

Iggy Fapstronaut

So I originally heard about this challenge from giggleschmack, but recently from reading the experiences of fellow Brits Ciaran Callam and Kazcube on /r/howtonotgiveafuck who have undertook this challenge I have been inspired to try this out for myself. It basically involves going out and interacting with random strangers to get a rejection, it's a form of exposure therapy which should help to beat/reduce the fear of rejection that we all face at times. I know myself have struggled with this fear many many times. Never approaching the girl I like, not doing the things I want to do, following all the other lemmings off the edge of the cliff...

I'm gonna do this for 30 days and will try to keep y'all updated. If you've got any ideas for what I should do, please let me know in the comments.

Day 1- Ask Pizza Hut to teach me the ways of the pizza

Was chickening out all day from doing starting the challenge, for example I was sat in the library for a few hours today with all these ideas bouncing around in my head, but I kept thinking about what all the people behind me will think when I get rejected, will the guy I ask think I'm a freak? It's crazy the amount of bullshit the mind bombards me with whenever I'm gonna do something risky. Anyway I ended up just going back home feeling pretty dejected that I'd let my fear get the better of me. Later on when I was walking back, this heavenly aroma hit me coming from Pizza Hut, I thought I'd actually like to know how they make their pizzas, so I walked into the store and asked the serving girl if I could go back there and see how they make their pizzas. She looked pretty confused and asked me why I'd want to do that to which I said so I can go back home and cook one up myself. After going back to see if I could, she unfortunately returned and said they couldn't do that, but that Dominoe's should let me (?) I don't know if she was trying to throw the weirdo across the street to their rival, but I got the rejection anyway. Not a bad start

2. Iggy

Iggy Fapstronaut

Day 2- Ask for free sweets

I was wandering around the city centre trying to think of what I should do next when I came across the Christmas market that has recently opened up. I was walking about checking out the various stalls when I came across the sweets stall with the most mouth-watering looking treats I have ever witnessed. Having no money and with drool dripping from my mouth I decided to see if the stall owner would let me try one for free. As soon as the word 'free' escaped my mouth though his face completely turned and he completely dismissed me with a straight 'no'. Guy wouldn't even make eye contact with me after that. Gotta admit I kinda took this one pretty hard for the way he rejected me, but I guess that's why I'm doing this!

sih, Lucky1, BackToManhood and 2 others like this.
  3. Bobs-got-it

Bobs-got-it Fapstronaut

That is an interesting exercise. There are areas where I struggle with rejection. I definetly want to try this thanks for sharing.

4. ImDaniel

ImDaniel Fapstronaut

Haha this thread is amazing! I'm looking forward to read your next posts ;-) It's actually great because it makes you leave your comfort zone every day!

iborntobefree likes this.
  5. Iggy

Iggy Fapstronaut

I definitely recommend trying it, let me know if you do!

It does, I got the courage up to talk to this hot girl on the bus today which I wouldn't normally do. I could feel the fear in my mind telling me not to do it, but I pushed thru it and struck up a conversation

6. Iggy

Iggy Fapstronaut

Day 3- Ask someone to read a page of a book to me

So I was in Waterstones looking at new books to read and decided to talk to the gentleman next to me. I told him I was struggling to find a new author and we got talking about how hard it can be finding good new books. After a brief pause I then asked him if he could read a page of a book to me so I could get a better feel of it. I was pretty sure he was actually gonna do it, he took the book from my hands and started flicking thru it like he was finding a good page to read, but then he said 'Sometimes it's best t just dive head first and buy the book, I can't read it anyway I dont have my glasses'. The whole interaction felt strange to me, he didn't seem phased at all that I'd asked him that and his rejection was sincere enough. I thanked him for the chat, wished him a good day and went on my way

7. Iggy

Iggy Fapstronaut

Day 4- Ask to wear glasses/headphones

Started off the day with an extra challenge that I got from Kazcube where you have to greet 5 different people. It sounds small fry, but people really don't greet each other in England. Even so I was still surprised at the results I got.
    First off said 'hi' to a middle aged guy who responded back, then greeted an elderly lady who mistrustfully looked at me out the corner of her eye and walked past, a student girl didn't even look at me- it was as if I hadn't even opened my mouth. The 4th person was pretty hot girl who looked like she was on her way back from the office, she looked caught by surprise when I said hello but she walked on too and the 5th guy just smiled and nodded his head. So out of 5 greetings I got 1 and a half back.. it was interesting to do, as I only just realised how few people even look at you when they're walking.

Anyway I was a bit disappointed with myself today, I planned to go out and ask if a random stranger if they'd like to be my gym partner, but I kept backing out of it. Ended up taking the bus back home pretty annoyed with myself, I decided I gotta do something before I get back to my flat. Crossing the road was a trendy looking brotha wearing some fresh headphones, I decided to stop him and see if he'd let me try them on. On asking him tho he only gave a slight hesistation before saying 'yeah why not?'. I stuck the jack in my phone and blasted out some electro, they were damn good headphones. After talking to him for a bit longer we shook hands and parted ways.

Disappointed that I didn't get my rejection, but happy at the same time for having such an interesting interaction I stopped an Indian guy in the supermarket, telling him I liked his glasses and would like to try them on. He was surprised by my request, but said I could. Looking back I should've pushed it a bit further to get the rejection.

Feel like I took the easy road out today, not happy with my approaches, but glad I managed to do something at least.

BackToManhood and iborntobefree like this.
  8. johnwick

johnwick Fapstronaut

Wow this is amazing :D

9. That is great.
    I am not sure if I could do something like this, but I am considering to change my habits (e.g. run around with earplugs when I am shopping or on my way to work).
    Maybe I am also going to try and talk to random people, because I like the idea.
    But you should not be too disappointed about not getting the rejection. I know you want to get rejected, because you want to get used to it, but isn't it a huge success to talk to strangers and see how they react ? (because in the end you do not want to get rejected by the person you approach when you are interested in that person)

10. @Hampster I agree with you, man. I think the basis of this challenge is to go out there head-first and do things that you'd normally wouldn't do. I mean, if you get rejected, you gain, as you have gained some experience.
    If you don't, that means you've just done something that you probably wouldn't do, and therefore, most of the time, will meet new people and make better friends.

11. ImDaniel

ImDaniel Fapstronaut

Your power of persuasion is becoming better ;-)

BackToManhood likes this.
  12. Iggy

Iggy Fapstronaut

Thanks guys, I really appreciate what you're saying there. Was looking at it the completely wrong way, maybe my persuasive skills are improving lol. I'm going to try cut down my hesitation today

13. Iggy

Iggy Fapstronaut

Day 5- Search for a gym partner

First day starting at my new gym and I thought I could really do with a gym partner who could help motivate me, share health tips and stop me from getting crushed by the Smith machine. I found this challenge quite tough for some reason since it's pretty random asking a complete stranger to become your gym partner, but eventually I got tired of wasting time and went up to a guy who was walking thru the market with his 2 female friends. I asked him if he'd like to join me for a session at the gym. Laughing he said he'll be alright and asked me why I wanted to do that, and I told him I was looking for someone to become my new gym partner. He said no again whilst laughing and moved off with his 2 friends who were cracking up for some reason too.

Extra note: I saw these absolutely stunning looking group of Asian girls this afternoon straight after I did the challenge. I wanted to go up and talk to them, but I hesitated and they moved off. I want to be able to just go up and initiate the conversation straight away, I usually end up doing it anyway, but I just waste time by overthinking things to say or like today, I miss the opportunity altogether

HopeFaith likes this.
  14. Iggy

Iggy Fapstronaut

Day 6- Can you tie my laces?

Had a couple of days off for various reasons, but was back on it today. As the title says, I was looking for someone that would tie my shoe laces, but I wanted to only ask a girl this time cos I don't think I've interacted with too many in the challenge yet. Coming out of the gym I untied my laces and started looking for somebody to approach. I was rocking my DRoses, so I didn't wanna be walking around with them untied for too long. After walking through a rough area of town where I was only seeing old ladies, eventually this old fella informed me my laces were undone, at the same time this girl was walking by so I jumped at the chance and asked her if she'd do them for me? She started smiling, but said no and walked past. Not being content with such a small interaction I decided to look for another person. There was this cute girl with pierces smoking a fag on a bench by herself- I walked straight up to her:

Me: Excuse me, are you any good at tying laces?
    Girl: (looking down at my shoes) *giggles* Erm.. no.. I can't say I am
    Me: So you won't be able to tie them up for me?
    Girl: No, but I'm sure someone else will be able to do them for you
    Me: Ok, well thanks anyway

Another thing: I was in the gym and there was this cool looking guy with tats working out near to me. I wanted to start talking to him, but for some reason I couldn't bring myself to do it. I kept thinking "he's too far away.. he's in the middle of working out bla bla". Don't know why I froze up so bad, its not like I was gonna ask him on a date, just wanted to make a new friend in the gym potenitally. Next time I see him or anyone else I wanna talk to I'm just gonna go straight up before my mind can feed me bullshit.

El fapio and iborntobefree like this.
  15. johnwick

johnwick Fapstronaut

You are really brave. I am naturally pretty shy and most of these things I wouldn't be able to do in real life. Because of this fact, this thread makes me even more amused and is really inspirational.

16. This is awesome. I loved reading this. More more!

17. This is Gold.
    I want build up my confidence to do something like this.

Жить/В/Кайф

18. Iggy

Iggy Fapstronaut

Appreciate the comments guys, I admit I got kinda put off the challenge after some major nofap withdrawal last week and a pretty awkward day 7 of rejection. I'll try get back into this tomorrow

Day 7- Do I know you?

Was looking for someone I could approach and ask if I knew them. I was in TK Maxx and there was this supremely hot blonde chick working there, I was paralysed with indecision, wracking my brains over something to say to her that would reduce the awkwardness. I walked around the shop thinking how I could do the challenge most smoothly, but in the end decided to just go somewhere else cos I'd been in there too long. Didn't want someone calling security on a shady black guy walking around in circles.

I was pretty determined to approach the hottest girl I could find in the next shop and prove I still carried 2 balls down there. On entering H&M there was another beautiful blonde sales assistant working there, after doing my usual hesistation party trick I eventually walked up to her like I knew her.

Me: Jamilla?
    Girl: Hi
    Me: Hey Jamilla I didn't know you worked here?
    Girl: Erm yes I work here..
    Me: J- jamilla.. don't you remember me?
    Girl: um..........
    Me: Oh.. you're not Jamilla are you
    Girl: No...
    Me: Oops sorry, well see ya!

Shit that was painful just writing that out, it was such an awkward interaction, I had to consciously hold myself back from running out the store like the hounds of Hades were at my heels.

Lucky1, oooo, ruso and 1 other person like this.
  19. ImDaniel

ImDaniel Fapstronaut

I missed your posts :) nice that you are back :D

20. johnwick

johnwick Fapstronaut

You are amazing, any tips on building self confidence?