1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A house swept clean will be attacked by even more wicked spirits

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Matt 12: 43 -45 (Knox)
    The unclean spirit, which has possessed a man and then goes out of him, walks about the desert looking for a resting-place, and finds none;44 and it says, I will go back to my own dwelling, from which I came out. And it comes back, to find that dwelling empty, and swept out, and neatly set in order.45 Thereupon, it goes away, and brings in seven other spirits more wicked than itself to bear it company, and together they enter in and settle down there; so that the last state of that man is worse than the first.

The devil doesn't give up, when the old demons of temptation aren't working, he sends different demons to try us.

I have created this thread because in one month's time, I will have equaled the greatest number of days that I have ever remained free from the sin of PMO in 50 years of sinning. I fear that crossing that milestone, or even focusing on it, may lead to failure. I suspect many of us harbor a similar fear and I would like to hear others thoughts on how to remain successful over time.

Because of my countless failures, I cannot deem myself an authority on the tactics for success in this matter. So, it is with sincere humility, I offer some observations about my own failures. Each time I have found a moderate degree of success only to fall again, I look back and see two significant mistakes I consistently made. (1) I relaxed my commitment to regular, heartfelt, sincere prayer. (2) I relaxed my commitment to never allow my mind to dwell, even for a scant few seconds, on a tempting image or thought.

I suspect the first mistake led to the second because I believe that "prayer is a vital necessity. If we do not allow the Spirit to lead us, we fall back into the slavery of sin." Furthermore, I believe that prayer must come from the heart. The words aren't nearly as important as the feeling of sincerity that accompanies them. Giving time, each day, perhaps several times a day, to sincere, heartfelt prayer, is vital. Fooling myself to believe that prayers said while doing other things are as good as heartfelt prayers is a trap. In my case, in order to truly converse with God, I must be alone with Him and patiently allow the moments my mere mortal brain requires to absorb His divine replies, feel his love and hear his guidance.

Other thoughts and aids?

EduB, Iohannes, Toni7 and 4 others like this.
  2. In Celebrate Recovery, I asked the group once: "How do I stay close enough to PMO to never forget how terrible it is, but not so close as to fall back in?" Their reply was unanimous: You help other people on the journey of recovery. I have made it a significant part of my day each day since then to do so. Be remaining engaged with others who are on the journey toward freedom from lust on a regular, ongoing basis, I do not forget how terrible that bondage is.

It's the final step and one we repeat for the rest of our lives if we are serious about remaining free.
    https://www.celebraterecovery.com/resources/cr-tools/8principles

3. Tao is right start using your pain to help others. Your can help a young man stop before he makes the mistakes we did. Also, stay in the word with a consistent quiet time every morning.

Toni7, Roady and Henryforward like this.
  4. Great reflections. I certainly relate to those.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
    But if I don't give him the time to strengthen me. Will I have the strength when the time comes to fight?

Tao Jones, Toni7 and Myfortress like this.
  5. I think we are strengthened when we consistently exercise spiritual disciplines. These include: prayer, worship, evangelism, service, stewardship, silence, and solitude, fasting, journaling, learning, confession, accountability, simplicity, submission, spiritual direction, celebration, affirmation, sacrifice, and “watching. These allow the spirit to strengthen us and make us more godly and able to resist temptations. I got these from a Sunday school lesson.

6. Very good. Actually practicing what we preach. Fulfilling our part in the great commission.

Myfortress, Toni7 and Roady like this.
  7. Additional reading for those interested:
    - Willard's "Spirit of the Disciplines"
    - Foster's "Celebration of Discipline"

Henryforward and Myfortress like this.
  8. Any advice from you gentlemen on how to really deal with critical thoughts?
    I am doing far better I just find it quite annoying. I'm am working on memorizing new scripture each day. I think that's the next step for me, to really get renewed in the word. I am so grateful for Gods grace and mercy. And I've been quite encouraged by jeremiah 4:31 I have memorized it.
    Oh Jerusalem, Wash your hearts from evil, that you may be saved. How long will your wicked thoughts lodge within you?

Basically to me that's confirmation if we wash our hearts, the only way I know how is by the blood of Jesus and also by his word, the renewing of the mind. So I think I am on track. Just maybe some prayer from you guys would be very helpful. Thank you.

Toni7 and Tao Jones like this.
  9. Dealing with critical thoughts. Think of yourself and others the way God does. He sees you the same way he does His son. Your are a trophy of grace, Gods masterpiece, a little lower than the angels, made for a divine purpose. Hope that helps.

Toni7, Henryforward and Tao Jones like this.
  10. I'll be praying. I echo @Myfortress 's comment above. Trade in your view of yourself for his far better one and then embrace it completely!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ezu7SNWg163_0TVbo0iU1QDx92TxYRdA38T5kJkMfJk/edit

Toni7, Henryforward and Myfortress like this.
  11. Thank you both so much. And I'll be writing many of those scriptures on the tablet of my heart.
    I am convinced that the way to really get victory over our thoughts is by replacing those false beliefs or lies with the word of God. And that's why memorization is so important.
    I have written your word on my heart, that I may not sin. Psalm 119:11.

The words tao. replace lies with truth. I have shared them with so many people already. And they have become a core principal in my life.

And my fortress thank you. That is what I need to do. I have been pondering on what it means to put on the mind of Christ lately. And I'm not sure of the reference but in one of the gospels. It says that Jesus never judged or looked at people by their appearance. He only saw the soul. The life. That's how I want to be.

This life is a race. It is a marathon not a sprint. There are moments that get tough and we get a little tired. But scripture says. Do not faint or grow weary. And the parables of the light burning and the wise virgins. We must keep our lamps full at all times.

Toni7, Tao Jones and Myfortress like this.
  12. CPilot

CPilot Fapstronaut

Someone led me to this verse recently, 2 Cor 10:5 (NIV) We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

I am praying to achieve this level of devotion. A big hill to climb perhaps but a worthy one.

Toni7, Tao Jones and Henryforward like this.
  13. Scripture memorization and meditation is an excellent way to lock and load against the devil and to be ready when you hit difficult times. Helps you stay focused on and responsive to God and not the world.

Toni7, Tao Jones and Henryforward like this.
  14. Iohannes

Iohannes Fapstronaut

Nothing useful to add, but I second your thoughts as a reason for falling. I also think the fact I have almost endured twice as much as my previously highest record (31 days) must have to do with me using these forums on a daily basis. And that's what staying around here does, it refreshes your commitment and raises up your guard. It's like being a soldier and visiting the training area (I'm thinking of pre modern warfare, e.g. a roman legionary), rather than simply lazying around, and finding yourself unprepared as the battle suddenly comes. Visiting that training camp daily prepares for the struggle that will inevitably come.

Toni7, Roady, Myfortress and 2 others like this.
  15. Good analogy.

Toni7 and Iohannes like this.
  16. Iohannes

Iohannes Fapstronaut

yes, that is a great expansion to my analogy. Great indeed. You could further say that some of us, or even ourselves sometimes, walk into the camp to literally seek out and embrace our enemy... forgetting the words of St. Paul: For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

With such enemies there can be no peace.

diep, Toni7, Henryforward and 2 others like this.
  17. Love it. This reminds me of when Jonathan went into the enemies camp with his armor bearer in 1Samuel14:1-23

Toni7 and Henryforward like this.
  18. 'Jonathan said to his young armor-bearer, “Come, let’s go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised men. Perhaps the Lord will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the Lord from saving, whether by many or by few.” “Do all that you have in mind,” his armor-bearer said. “Go ahead; I am with you heart and soul.” ' 1 Samuel 14:6-7

Toni7, Henryforward and Iohannes like this.
  19. Iohannes

Iohannes Fapstronaut

it's a good example, pretty much based on the verses about the Armour of God of Saint Paul, which I think is in Ephesians 6. I recite those verses daily as part of my evening prayers.

As for the enemy shooting arrows at us, you may like this fresco. I think it needs no explanation even if the writing is in greek. Those lines you quoted reminded me of this image.

[​IMG]

Toni7, Henryforward and Myfortress like this.
  20. 'Jonathan climbed up, using his hands and feet, with his armor-bearer right behind him. The Philistines fell before Jonathan, and his armor-bearer followed and killed behind him. In that first attack Jonathan and his armor-bearer killed some twenty men in an area of about half an acre. Then panic struck the whole army—those in the camp and field, and those in the outposts and raiding parties—and the ground shook. It was a panic sent by God. So on that day the Lord saved Israel, and the battle moved on beyond Beth Aven. ' 1 Samuel 14:13-15,23 https://my.bible.com/bible/111/1SA.14.13-15,23

Toni7 and Henryforward like this.