1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

A Long Time Friend...Or So I Thought

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 27, 2020.

1. I have to get this out of my system and maybe someone out there has something interesting to say about this. So I have, or had, or I don't know, friend whom I have known for 12 years, which is a long time for my age. The problem is that our ways should probably part but I have so much memories with him that it's hard to let go. He has said many times that I'm his best friend and like a brother to him. But his actions don't really match those words anymore, not like before. You know back in the day we were always doing something together. Nowadays if I want to hang out with him I have to go visit him (we live pretty close to each other). And he doesn't even keep contact that much anymore. And it's not like he has too many friends. It's sad that things have gone like this. Not too many brother like guys out there in the world. Especially when I have had to take distance from friends who have started to abuse drugs. Now that my social circle has gotten a lot slimmer I have to let go of arguably the closest person outside of my family. How do you do it? The memories and the nostalgia tortures me.

2. SickSicko

SickSicko Fapstronaut

Life is like a book, some characters are in every page, some character just in a few chapters, some just in a few pages, don't torture yourself, and just be glad and rejoy of that you had the chance to enjoy such times together.

I can relate, I had a friend wich just literally just like a brother to me, we grew up together, always been together for 20+ years, but life decisions and priorities took us apart, we learnt to accept it, check on each other on big events (he recently had a baby to put an example, and I reached him to congratulate him), but we are no longer as close as we used to, but I know we still know each other like the back of our hands.

As I said, don't torture yourself, that's life, accept everyone has his own way in life, and enjoy that you shared so much time together, that's a treasure that no one will be able to take from either of you, unless you guys give into resentment and hatred.

He is still like a brother to me, just a brother that it's making his own life and doesn't share time with me, and as long as he is happy, and he is happy that I'm happy, although we may followed different paths, is good enough for me.

SoaringEagle likes this.
  3. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

The first thing is talk to him directly about how his actions have changed towards you. It is so easy to make assumptions about someone or something when you do not have all the relevant information. Approach it with a view to get things back to how they were and see if he responds positively. :) If not, then you will have to deal with looking for a new best mate.

SoaringEagle likes this.
  4. SREENII

SREENII Fapstronaut

5. SoaringEagle

SoaringEagle Fapstronaut

As IGY said you might want to talk. Maybe he has his own issues.
    Just keep in mind that sometimes, real brothers who are extremely close with each other even in their twenties end up not talking to one another later in life. It happens.