1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else learning to code?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by spidermanfan123, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero Fapstronaut

You need a code editor and a compiler. I'm sure iOS has that.
    No.

Munchausen likes this.
  2. Thanks mate.

3. GuacoTaco

GuacoTaco New Fapstronaut

Hey man throw me in that group discussion.

I'd love to learn. Ive been practicing programming for a few years now and if you're a beginner I might be able to help you out personally too.

4. spidermanfan123

spidermanfan123 Fapstronaut

Hey everyone, sorry for letting this group just sit here. Truth is, I've been struggling with my addiction and was just stuck in a cycle of relapse. Trying to make things better now and get back to the code.

I needed a little more direction in my learning, so I started following theodinproject.com's curriculum (HTML, CSS, Javascript). I'm supplementing the learning I'm doing there by reading Eloquent Javascript by Marijn Haverbeke. This feels like a really important book, it's changing the way I think about code slowly and solidifying concepts that I knew previously but didn't understand the mechanisms behind. Reading this book you can tell that it is written by a master programmer. I actually wouldn't recommend it to someone just getting started, I think struggling with the basic concepts of the language first, then reading this book would make for a bigger payoff. In the same way some people are born to do something, like play the guitar, the author of this book was born to write beautiful code.

[​IMG]

Hope everyone is doing well and sticking to their learning goals. Would be happy to share anything going on with me if anyone is interested.

5. spidermanfan123

:emoji_zipper_mouth:

6. spidermanfan123

It's a great skill to have in today's world and has some effects on the way one thinks about things in general. Curious if you started?

7. spidermanfan123

Hi! Thanks very much for offering. I'm thinking most of the conversation could happen here, unless there is a big interest to move towards some other platform (Discord? idk).

8. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

Couldnt go anywhere past the tutorial, I'm assuming I'm going to have to breakthrough the linguistic logic of programming code 1st.

9. spidermanfan123

That's still quite impressive. Keep at it, it takes a good while for things to finally click when just starting out. The more you read code and expose yourself to it, the more dots you will start connecting.

10. I'm in an entry-level programming class at my university. Learning python. I'm a math major but I will admit this can be pretty fun.

| The Monk | likes this.
  11. greatvortex

greatvortex Fapstronaut

I taught myself C# since September 2020. It was so difficult coding as a beginner but soon as you study the theory, it gets progressively easier over time (just like NoFap... kinda...)

12. primaljade

primaljade Fapstronaut

Youtube.

This might sound stupid but if you're super brand new I recommend starting with Excel just to get used to writing functions, from there you can use Excel's VBA feature (which is right in Excel) to make you an excel master. This is very practical for a ridiculous number of jobs, or even for science/math class when you're tired of recalculating numbers over and over again (just write all the equations in variables for the teacher, then provide them the printout of the program/spreadsheet and end result).

Nearly every computer has excel, you don't need a compiler or special IDE or other nonsense while simply learning to code. When things start to click, you can move on to any other language you want, the one you choose depends a bit on what you want to do (microcontrollers, AI, data science, GUIs, APIs, etc).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Fighter_4_life likes this.
  13. jesus27

jesus27 New Fapstronaut

I think learning to code is a great skill to get. I have been learning to code on and off. I think this is a great initiative for a lot of men that want to do Nofap but dont have hobbies or something to fill up their time.

14. Caged_bird

Caged_bird Fapstronaut

Thanks a lot I will definitely try this..
    I m super busy right now..
    But when I will b free i will try to do this coding stuff

15. ThePeakWae

ThePeakWae Fapstronaut

Been having some troubles with basic cheat code insertion in Mgba's game shark section, everytime I try to put a code it fails, I try it with Pokemon Unbound rom, there seems to be a side eff of some items having some one letter change names at the mall and 3small pixels (one red one light red and one white dot appearing). I've a guess that either the codes are incompatible with the game case of some update (however I tested using codes from jan 2021 and still failed afterwards). I also tried things like no spaces for the last 4 letters of the code and separating the master code from the follow up codes (tried joining them up already (Mastercode going 1st and it still didnt work)), I'm guessing there's either a problem with the rom not letting the codes go through, or something else I didnt figure out yet.

If anyone has experience with Gameshark coding I'd appreciate any advice you could give on this, I see a lot of dudes having a easier time doing the cheats on Android, but I'd like to do it on the Pc's Mgba emulator even if it's a lil bit harder.

16. Soularius

Soularius New Fapstronaut

Currently learning to code at community college as a Comp Sci and Art major. I'm learning to program in C++ and overall is enjoyable. I learned to code previously back in high school in C# and I also dabbled in HTML and CSS.