Anyone else read agonizingly slow?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by chanteur49, Apr 9, 2017.

1. chanteur49

chanteur49 Fapstronaut

Admittedly, I read like a preschooler. Mostly every sentence I sub-vocalize in my mind, one word at a time. I have a mountain of books I want to read, but at the same time I've been leisurely making my way through Sherlock Holmes for 4 months. Anyone have any tips on how to read faster?

Aiyoshi likes this.
  2. Icyweb

Icyweb Fapstronaut

I usually read pretty slowly too. If you're looking to read faster, you might try cutting down on distractions. Make sure you don't have noise or electronics around you, etc. It may also be worth keeping in mind that it isn't necessarily bad. There's no need to read a lot just to have read a lot. Take the time to enjoy, read what you want, and don't treat it like assigned reading. You'll enjoy it more that way.
    Others will probably come along with more helpful advice.

MrPrince and chanteur49 like this.
  3. J247

J247 Fapstronaut

Depends on whether or not you want to read to retain everything, which you should when you read Sherlock Holmes, or read to just get the gist of what's going on.

Set a timer or set amount of pages. Record how much you've read in X time. Try to beat that each time.

4. It sounds to me, you're ready to make the transition from reading one word at a time to reading entire phrases.
    Let me illustrate with the sentence above. The sentence has four sections to it, namely:-

It sounds to me, | you're ready to make the transition | from reading one word at a time | to reading entire phrases.

chanteur49 likes this.
  5. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

It soooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnds toooooooooooooo meeeeeeeeeeee thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat yoooooooooooooou're reeaaaaaaaaaaaaaady toooooo maaaaaakeeeeeee theeeeeeee traaaaaaansitiooooooooon

6. chanteur49

chanteur49 Fapstronaut

Today I tried that out and I found myself reading much faster. I've always been compelled to study every word at a time, so at first reading like that felt uncomfortable (like I was skimming through and missing important details), but it actually lets you view what your reading through a larger lens.

7. Good, it sounds like you have the concept. Rather than getting bogged down with each word, you are getting the ideas of the writer more clear. Enjoy your reading at a nice even pace from now on buddy. :)

bunnyheartbeat and chanteur49 like this.