1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

BLM what a joke

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Blackenglish2017, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Blackenglish2017

Blackenglish2017 Fapstronaut

I'm black and I got to say I don't believe in this movement. I believe in All lives matter. Everyone and anyone can be a victim. Look at this bloody shooting in Las Vegas.

2. That's not really what it's about. BLM is really trying to say BLAM. Black Lives Also Matter. In response to a (fairly evidence-backed) perception that black people in America have been subject to unlawful police killings, miscarriages of justice, general discrimination, etc.

Those who argue All Lives Matter are wilfully misinterpreting the point of BLM, so as to avoid engaging with the problem.

3. I agree with both of you. Yes, all lives matter, and yes, the sort of "dictionary definition" of the BLM movement is as AverageBear described, which I am in support of. I do not, however, support the actual movement. 90% of what I've seen from the BLM movement is violence, racism against white people, making things a race problem that have nothing to do with race, generalizing, blaming modern white people for the crime of slavery that none of them were a part of (And none of the modern black people were a part of it, either, as victims), and far too many literally calling for the mass genocide of white men.

So like feminism, the dictionary definition doesn't mean anything to me at this point. I will do my best not to turn a blind eye toward actual racism, but I cannot get on board with the BLM movement, for all of those other reasons.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2017
    Deleted Account and MLMVSS like this.
  4. I'm not a supporter of BLM movement but I can understand their motivation perfectly because the Police in the US have a very clear and irrefutable history of beating black, shooting unarmed blacks, racial profiling and selective enforcement of laws that have violated civil rights and created a hostile living environment for black people. BLM was created in response to all these high profile deaths where you see can plainly see unarmed blacks being killed by police who suffered absolutely no consequences for their actions. I'm black too and while I dont support the BLM leadership, I'm grateful for anybody actively working to stop this abuse because I can personally attest to the facts that the leadership in these police departments are racist as hell and profile blacks non stop.
    I've never been arrested but by the time I was 22 years old, I had been pulled over by cops 19 times and had only received 1 moving violation. I've been pulled over for nothing and had my vehicle searched illegally numerous times.
    Weve all had our different experiences but as a black man, I don't understand why you would even post this. I also not clear on what the Vegas Shooting has to do with police brutality.
    If you care about people then of course all lives matter but why do you have a problem with a group of people who want to fight police violence against Blacks specifically?

5. I know this wasn't directed at me, but I have to say, if you think that's all the BLM movement does, you haven't been paying enough attention. I doubt anybody (at least any good person, and certainly not any black person) would be against that.

6. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

From what I've heard from different sources, your police officers, in general, have an issue with excessive force.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. I know these guys are paid provacateurs and they seem to be about division. I'm a little annoyed by the all #alllivesmatter response to the movement(even though I myself dont support it). I believe life is life and I believe and all live is important. I know that class comes in to play and lower class whites can recieve the same unfair treatment as blacks because police are out of control period. These people state all lives matter as if blacks are not disproportionatly effected by police misconduct and make it seem as if the various groups that work to stop police misconducts against blacks are just whining and dont have a leg to stand on. Our criminal justice system was essentially the evolution of Jim Crow law and works exceedingly well. I did state my opinion a little strongly and was a bit presumptuous( My bad OP)

A leaf likes this.
  8. It doesn't matter if they don't speak up on what's right when they see other cops breaking the law and violating people's rights. Until they do, cops are above that law and will keep doing what they want.

A leaf likes this.
  9. But do we really think all lives matter? I mean really? Surely, we don't show that all lives matter by saying all lives matter, but in how we treat everyone.

Actions are louder than words!

How do we treat those around us? How do we treat those who live near us? When we encounter people do we make them feel valuable?

People glorify all sorts of bravery except the bravery they might show on behalf of their nearest neighbours. - George Elliot

Do we think that the lives of Ethiopians matter? This week 4 people were killed and 18 were injured by government forces. Do we stop and think about such a tragic event? Do we morn for the lives that were lost? Or do we just shrug our shoulders and say, 'well it's Africa and people die everyday in Africa'? If we respond with the later then no, not all lives matter! I didn't stop one second to think about the lives lost in Ethiopia.

IDK maybe I'm the only one on this forum like this but honestly sometimes my actions suggest that the only person that matters to me is myself. I wish it wasn't the case but I'm not very loving sometimes. I want to be better but I fail in this. I want to be kinder and leave people better than I found them but I don't. Maybe in time I will be better at this but right now I fail in this area.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2017
  10. Byris

Byris Fapstronaut

Hard to take them seriously when they complain about cops killing blacks, when blacks killings blacks is a much bigger issue.

11. The point is black on black crime is held accountable for the actions through the judicial system. Cops killing unarmed blacks not the case.

12. I was listening to an episode of The Liturgists podcast and they were talking about the issue of putting the needs of your nation over other nations in the world. One of the presenters talked about how it would be wrong for him to pay for his daughters friends education meanwhile neglect his daughters education, but then it would be wrong for him to buy his daughter 10 Christmas presents while his daughters friends couldn't afford clean water.
    So yeah, we take care of our own and that can be a good thing. If you want to be good friend, boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife you need to make sure you're in a healthy place and to be in a healthy place we need to be selfish at times. Sometimes selfishness can result in becoming a selfless person.

But still I think compassion doesn't come naturally to human beings. Many religions throughout the world teach us to love one another and I think the reason is because naturally we don't care. If you're wanting to have a good long-term relationship chances are if you start dating someone who turns out to be very compassionate, you'll hold on to that person, because you know there are many who are not compassionate.

Having said all that I'm probably my worse critic. I always think I could care more and often think I fail in this area.

13. I fully support the idea behind BLM. I don't think anyone was ever trying to say "Only Black Lives Matter". I think just as @AverageBear said, it is "Black Lives ALSO Matter", because for a long time people have treated it as if they don't.

The issue BLM faces is that it's a decentralised movement. There is no person heading it or saying "this is the way things are". It's like something like Anonymous.

The problem with a decentralised movement like that is that anyone can say that what they're doing is for BLM - which is why BLM have been associated with various negative acts etc. It's not that the movement itself is bad, and 95-99% of everyone who supports it wouldn't do any of those things, but a few bad apples are still allowed to call themselves BLM and say what they're doing is for BLM, so the whole movement gets tarred with the same brush.

A few years ago no-one really disliked BLM. A few misunderstood the idea and said that yes we should say "All Lives Matter" instead, but that was about it. Then when a few negative acts occurred with people calling themselves BLM, suddenly the tides turned and now it seems the majority don't support BLM anymore. That's the downside of such a decentralised movement - it only takes one person doing something unpleasant, for everyone else who was doing the right thing to be seen in a negative light.

It's the same reason I think NoFap gets laughed at a lot, because there are a few cases where people paint a very bad picture of NoFap, and when people think of NoFap, they think of those cases rather than all the good examples set by everyone else.

Deleted Account likes this.
  14. Explain to me how a school shooter who just murdered 17 innocent kids is apprehended without a single shot being fired but a black father holding a cellphone in his own backyard is murdered in cold blood?

15. Profile,They assumes that father was doing something wrong without sugarcoat his color skin.