1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Has Therapy helped anyone with escalating compulsive sexual behavior?

Discussion in 'Compulsive Sexual Behavior' started by Ninjafighter5, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Ninjafighter5

Ninjafighter5 New Fapstronaut

I just had my first appointment with a therapist. The main reason I started seeing one is cause Im looking for help with a variety of compulsive sexual behaviors that are negatively impact my life. But its only an hour a week and obviously we barely started talking and didnt really hit the subject yet but it already feels like its not gonna work. I feel like I need real intervention or something. So I was wondering if anyone has had positive experiences with therapy helping them with their behavior? I got into findom and have spent thousands in the last number of months along with a bunch of other stuff and I need to get it under control now.

2. Yes. I've not been in the same spot specifically but I can tell you it helps. Give it a month before you decide, 1 hour isnt enough to decide, that's an impulsive reaction.

Be very honest with your therapist even about these thoughts that you feel it's not working.

I've seen alot of people in the same spot and I say "did you tell your therapist that you feel it's not working?". And they say no!!. How are they supposed to know unless you tell them

Ninjafighter5 likes this.
  3. Joe92

Joe92 Fapstronaut

Yes. If you are honest with him and with yourself, whatever you are feeling.

I had the same doubts and told my therapist, and I decided to continue. It helped me a lot, but you have to know it is not an easy road and that you have to be comited to it, and that it takes time.

It's been 6 months for me and I'm not cured, but I feel a lot better in my everyday life. I'm able to let my fantasies be what they are : fantasies. I slowly learn not to feel too much guilt and shame, I'm open about everything because that's what I pay for. Nobody forces me to go seek help, and I know he cannot help if I only tell him half-truths.

Just chose the one you feel is the right one for you, it took me a little time to meet the right one for me.

4. Tryingto

Tryingto Fapstronaut

Personally, I can offer a strong 'yes' to this question. More specifically, therapy helped in at least two ways:
    • It gave me a place to talk about what was going on for me. Secrecy and isolation are pretty strong breeding grounds for my addiction - having someone to connect with so freely was a big lift.
    • It gave me a place in which I could uncover and explore some of the issues underlying my addiction: abuse, low self-worth, feelings of powerlessness and despair (among others!).
    Best of luck...