1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm no good at just being friends with girls

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Jw9896, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Jw9896

Jw9896 Fapstronaut

I don't know how to just be friends with girls. I've had lots of close female friends in college, but most of them either I was into or thought about dating, or else was just not attracted to them for some reason. But I'm not sure I know how to form a relationship with a woman who is attractive and I get along with, and who I am attracted to, without letting that define the relationship. Like, especially if they aren't available.

This has ruined friendships in the past because I couldn't be just friends with girls I really respected. But the thing that brings this to mind now is I don't have many friends or people I am really close with since I just graduated college and meeting new people has been hard. But one of my coworkers I get along with really well, she about my age, hispanic, super cute, and has been opening herself up to me a lot recently, like she really trusts me, and even feels comfortable touching me on the shoulder, which is not her, like she's super reserved. Definitely she doesn't think anything about it, she sees me as just a friend. Also she is married and has two kids. I mean obviously I only want to be friends with her. I just don't really know how to be only friends with women.

rostronaut likes this.
  2. 1. Never involve romance in your interactions with a woman unless that is what you want
    2. Keep doing what you have been doing with her that makes her get along with you
    3. Treat her like you treat your male friends but set boundaries and respect hers.
    4. Appreciate her personality and how lucky you are to have a friend like her. It helps a lot
    5. Have a sense of humor but don't force a joke

3. LetsGetEm

LetsGetEm Fapstronaut

I Don’t have any women I’m just friends with, pretty much either acquaintances or dating. And I’m fine with that. I got my boys for a good time.

rostronaut likes this.
  4. Why do you need to be friends with a woman? Unless she’s a bro’s sister or a relative.

Better to have men as you friends. Women are for dating.

rostronaut likes this.
  5. Women can be friends if one wishes or get's friendzoned. Personally, I prefer having women as friends.

6. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Runtilmylegsdropoff Fapstronaut

Dude, I don't think it's possible to be "just friends" with a woman if you're highly attracted to her. I mean eventually things bloom into sexy times.

rostronaut likes this.
  7. Trying to be friends with a woman is like playing russian roulette (as a straight male)

If someone is your friend, you joke with them. You laugh with (read as: at) them. You spike their burger with hot sauce. But neither side takes it seriously because you are friends, and understand that.

With a woman, it only takes one wrong joke, or touch, or whatever, to permanently set them off. You pressed the trigger, and there was a damn battleship cannonball flying at you. They are too immensely socially complex for the dude brain to handle.

You can be friendly with women, romantic with them, or both. I just don't see a straight guy and straight girl being friends, without it becoming romantic or breaking off.

Be nice to them. Respect them. But if they are not romantically interested, then be polite, but keep your battle armor up, and leave them alone.

8. pira3

pira3 Fapstronaut

I desagree highly with this "man can't have woman as friend". My best friends are woman, and there's a lot of different womans out there. Very much of them say shit, curses, make dirt jokes and all this "exclusive man things".

To the first post, it is possible, yes. Maybe the conflict here it's because you haven't this close contact very often with woman, and things get a little messed up in your head. I think you need to organize your thoughts, put yourself in your place as a friend and always racionalize your situation (it's just a nice friendship). I know this very well, I need to exercise this everyday in my workplace. Isn't easy, but life isn't easy at all.

9. Not exactly. I'm a straight male and I don't see it that way. Before my relocation, most of my friends were female. With a woman, it isn't that easy to set her off unless your jokes are the kind that really push boundaries or you touched her somewhere you know you aren't supposed to. In fact, the longer you are with her as a friend the more accustomed she becomes to being around you and the higher the probability of the friendzone increases. Now don't get me wrong, friendships can be broken and can turn romantic but they can remain as they are. A guy and a girl being straight doesn't mean they will eventually develop romantic feelings for one another or that the romantic feelings won't be one sided.

AUTiger7222 likes this.
  10. If you're highly attracted to her it will be difficult but not impossible.

Runtilmylegsdropoff likes this.
  11. Runtilmylegsdropoff

I think it would be impossible for me because I'd eventually try to kiss her.

12. Having women as friends can be helpful since they can help you with your relationships... They can give you a female perspective on things.

13. Runtilmylegsdropoff

14. Well, to each his own. As for me, I suppressed my feelings for one of my female friends as her boyfriend was one of my pals. Me and her are still friends, it also helps we only communicate through WhatsApp as the strictness of my house wouldn't give me an opportunity to meet her in person

15. Interesting survey

Runtilmylegsdropoff likes this.
  16. Tell that to the friendzone, Bearded Survey Man

17. pira3

pira3 Fapstronaut

Friendship is a broader issue... this video shows a really narrow perspective. Some people, in a 3 minute video, in just a place, on a country, with the same age group doens't convince me at all.

18. Huh? Only for dating? Nah, some of my best friends are female. So I don't really agree with that. Of course men and women can be friends.

AUTiger7222 and Lucifer137 like this.
  19. Jw9896

Jw9896 Fapstronaut

It looks like most of the guys on this chat dropped off the site some 200+ days ago just like me, but since I'm trying out this NoFap thing again, I thought I'd give a resolution to the conflict I was dealing with about 10 monthes ago. This girl at my work is still a friend of mine. It was a little weird for a while, but eventually we found the balance in our relationship. For any guys who might find this site and are dealing with similar issues, there are two things which really helped me in dealing with this. The first was to give her space. There was a period of a month or two where I sort of started to close myself off to her, and she definitely noticed. At the time I was a little worried that she felt insulted by the way I closed myself off to her, or at least stopped opening myself up to her. But I realized that I couldn't handle my unrequited feelings for her. However, we kept working closely through this and talking a lot, and when I started feeling more in control of myself, I opened back up to her. I think she respected the way that I handled myself through this, even if she didn't know the reasons for this.

The second thing, I realized that her husband was actually I security guard at our work. So, about the time I started closing myself up to her, and again when I started to open myself back up to her, I went out of my way to introduce myself and talk to her husband. It helped me respect the fact that she was married, because I really respected him and could see that their relationship was good for her.

20. Welcome back.

I have several married female friends at work. I’m friends with or at least have met many of their husbands. No intention of hanky-panky on my part and when the women realize that they certainly will have more respect and trust towards me. They open up and share things with me about married life and their dealings with the husband and their kids and I learn a lot. I appreciate these women and their perspectives. The media wants use to believe a lot of bullshit about women, romance, and marriage but by being friends with both husbands and wives we can get a lot of the truth.

Also the married women can tell me which single women to stay away from.

AUTiger7222 likes this.