1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Just realized how stupid Facebook is

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Namekian23, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

It's been more than 4 months that I've been Facebook free. One of the reasons why I decided to stop Facebook was because I didn't want to get distracted by people's lives anymore. Everyday I would see an amazing post of someone getting married or a person buying a new house. Then it would go the other way around; for example, someone's cat just died or they broke up with their boyfriend/girlfriend. At this point, they're having a weep-a-thon on social media.

The fact is, I realized that these people are of no use to me. Besides my closest friends and family members, there was no reason for me to get involved in their lives. It's nothing personal, but will these 500 or so "friends" be a significant part of my life? Not really. Will these people come to my wedding or college graduation? Probably not except maybe meeting them at a mall or something.

I only go on Facebook to post Happy Birthday quotes to my closest friends and that's it. More importantly, I've felt so much better during my time away from Facebook. I can finally focus on my own life and what makes me happy. The only people who truly care and will "physically" be in my presence through the good and the bad is once again: My friends and family.

Lately, I've developed some goals and challenges for myself during the past few months. I recently got promoted at work, and I'm saving up money to move out someday. It's something I've been planning for years. All in all, I feel pretty good about myself. And another benefit about not being on Facebook is that you don't get distracted by women as much, especially those that moved on and are no longer a part of your life.

I remember a Fapstronaut telling me how bad Facebook was for you; I never believed him until now. He was right and all of the positive things that were happening to him then are happening to me now. I feel better not engaging in people's lives where there's so much drama and people trying to get attention. I know some people love this type of social media and it makes them happy. For me, it's not the same and I'm glad I'm taking a nice long break from it, and hopefully, you guys will do the same.

HopeThisWorks111, u376, Lions and 6 others like this.
  2. Tony Greenshrine

Tony Greenshrine Fapstronaut

Reminds me of this video I was going to share on Facebook the other day,

3. Same with me bro, since I'm away from it, my day flows smoothly, focusing on the right things, without silly distractions. There's a lot of useless stuff there, it can be really damaging, I know how you feel. It's a choice I made for myself aswell. Nice job, way to go man.

Floweringlife and Namekian23 like this.
  4. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

Wow that sounds pretty accurate

5. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

I know right? I'm surprised it took me this long to realize it. When I was on Facebook, I always felt obligated to update every status of my life on a constant basis. Ever since I left social media, I don't have to concentrate on chasing up to anyone. And you're right, time does go by more smoothly and you can focus on what really matters. However, there's nothing wrong with going on Facebook to say hi to old friends and chat for a bit. Other than that, I try to stay away from it as much as possible.

Floweringlife likes this.
  6. Trucker925

Trucker925 Fapstronaut

I deleted the Facebook app on my phone as well as my email notifications. I only check my email at home now. I have family and friends on Facebook I keep in touch with so I refuse to delete it. I also keep my phone away from me when I get home, I turn on the ringer loud enough to hear in case family or friends contact me, but I put it on my charger in my bedroom and don't touch it all night. I've noticed it's a lot easier for me to concentrate on things that need to get done, and don't miss constantly staring at my phone all night. I also listen to a lot more music than I used to, I'm normally playing music when I'm cleaning or organizing my house.

7. FormerFapaholic

FormerFapaholic Fapstronaut

I've been off Facebook - and social media - for around five months now as I write this. I'll tell you what, it was a tough decision I've made and I don't live to regret making it at all. With the clarity I've gained from doing this. The weight (and the emotional burden) has been lifted off my shoulders, and I've been far more productive since being off social media.

Here's some of the things I've done since quitting social media. Furthermore, I've been setting myself up with some life goals.

• Got myself a nice new car
    • Got myself a tattoo. Will be getting more.
    • Moving out and getting a place of my own
    • Found myself a new career I want to pursue after being stuck in a dead end job for the past six years
    • Getting myself fitter and healthier
    • Finding hobbies and activities to do in my spare time
    • Going out and travelling
    • Reading books and writing in my journal

8. gunslinger215

gunslinger215 Fapstronaut

I realized this a long time ago. It’s been almost five years since I have been Facebook free

9. Staying away from social media feels good anyway. Only thing I use it for is to check up on my music artists.

10. I recently got off Facebook and am so glad I did! It is like a burden and a lot of mental clutter gone!

FormerFapaholic, Namekian23 and Lions like this.
  11. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

leaving social media like insta,fb,snapchat is first step of improvement

12. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

I'm glad we're on the same page. I never realized how much Facebook was sucking the life out of me. It got to the point where I couldn't keep up with everyone and their daily activities. I also realized how some people post the most unnecessary topics and how they make social media as a part of their life. For the most part, I'm just happy we got out of it.

Floweringlife likes this.
  13. Namekian23

Namekian23 Fapstronaut

I can tell you're on the right path. Who knew that staying away from something as simple as social media can be a huge relief. At this point, we seem to have similar goals and life challenges. Anyway, I wish you good luck man! Enjoy life and make the most of it. Who needs social media anyway.

FormerFapaholic likes this.
  14. Ongoingsupport

Ongoingsupport Fapstronaut

The difference between social media and something like a discussion forum is people are communicating with a focus and saying meaningful things on a forum. The meaning and intent with most SM posts is attention getting without much redeeming value.

People view SM as entertainment, NOT connection. If they did use it for connection, they may reach out to you after you leave. (if you leave contact info) If they don't, why is that? I would suggest even when they have appreciated your posts in the past (a little) they simply can't be bothered to make that effort especially if it doesn't show up on a public or semi-public platform with other people, heaven forbid it's a one on one message through something like email.

To look at it from another angle, it's all about them and their experience - and they may not even know it because they don't think there's another human being on the other end instead of just content to entertain them, they probably don't even think of their own humanity and just get this feed in zombie like manner. It's shallow and they wallow in it.

15. I deleted fb and instagram in the past, and it really helped me! Good job! :)

Namekian23 likes this.