1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Milk and dairy is bad or good for you?

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Supplements' started by Kairose, Jun 19, 2022.

1. berylliumwages

berylliumwages Fapstronaut

So do you have an identical twin that was raised without milk in a controlled experiment? Or are you just omniscient?

We are now quoting marketing slogans from special interest campaigns. This is Idiocracy. "But Brawndo's got what plants crave!"

2. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

Okay, soyboy...

3. berylliumwages

berylliumwages Fapstronaut

Based on the amount of estrogens, the insult should actually be "milkboy."

4. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

OP, I hope you're happy. You've brought out the anti-milk lunatic fringe. I suspect you knew this would happen.

5. And also the anti-vegan lunatic fringe. Or how would you define yourself, Mr. I call people "soyboy"?

6. 3nigma

3nigma Fapstronaut

I'm just a normal guy. I drink milk like everybody else.

7. JustinX

JustinX Fapstronaut

Not really ironic, if in the Matrix machines were able to sustain 100 000 Billions people instead of 12 Billions (or how much is Earth possible to sustain naturally) then yes thousands of billions people should be greatful to be alive. That would be same situations like with cows.

8. Prochon

Prochon Fapstronaut

For some reason, I'm not able to digest dairy products very well, even if it's lactose-free

9. I'm personally lactose intolerant, so all dairy is terrible for me. I try my best to watch what I eat, though; over the years, I've given up all dairy (due to my condition), which pretty much eliminates most junk food from my diet. Of course, much of the western diet contains dairy, so most of my diet includes meat, fish, nuts, and carbs (mostly vegetables).

My achilles heal is rice, but I didn't buy any for this week, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Still, it's good that you are fixing up your diet. I think way too many forums overemphasize exercises in general, mostly for vanity reasons (i.e. attracting women). But I think diet is WAY more important overall.

Embark39 likes this.
  10. FormerLeatherneck

FormerLeatherneck Fapstronaut

The " milk/dairy is bad for you" is Bro science.

11. HomoErectus

HomoErectus Fapstronaut

I'm currently on the topic, so I'll be happy to add something valuable to the discussion.

It is true that part of the population is lactose intolerant. Drinking fresh milk causes diarrhea. This has always been the case, even in European populations. Therefore, in the past, drinking fresh milk straight from the cow was a delicacy for children. Still, mothers boiled milk with sheepskin and, warm or cool, gave it to their children to drink. Boiling milk at 70C is a well-known pasteurization process. It is used to kill potentially harmful microorganisms. It was used in the past, customarily, often without anyone realizing why. Such milk was a delicacy in times of sugar shortage.

Adults, in turn, enjoyed the sour milk. Preparation was crazy easy. All you had to do was wait until the milk turned sour. Various types of cheese were also made from such milk, especially white cheese.

Milk curdles with the participation of lactic acid bacteria, which produce lactase, the deficiency of which causes food intolerance. This happens because lactase breaks down lactose. Lactic acid bacteria naturally occur in the stomach of newborns. In adults, both the lactase enzyme and the bacteria themselves often disappear, so taking it from outside is the only way to digest the dairy product. Therefore, people who have stomach problems after drinking fresh milk feel good after drinking sour milk.

Moreover, milk contain natural prebiotics such as oligosaccharides, lactose, nucleotides, and glycosylated proteins and lipids. Prebiotics are food for probiotics, including lactic acid bacteria.

Probiotics are bacteria that have a beneficial effect on the health of the body. Mainly strains from the Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium families are mentioned. The impact of the action on the body is very rich and cannot be discussed in detail in a short post. Let me just mention that it improves the condition of the digestive system, increases intestinal efficiency, eliminates inflammation and unfavorable bacterial flora. They affect not only the immune system, but also the hormonal and nervous systems. Due to their influence on the reduction of cortisol, as well as the synthesis of neurotransmitters, such as GABA or serotonin, some strains are called psychobiotics.

If I'm interested, I recommend looking into probiotics from a scientific perspective. Studies on rats are fantastic. In humans, many publications also resulted in confirmatory results. The literature is rich in descriptions of metabolic changes and mechanics of action. Biological engineers develop strains to make probiotic therapies as precise as possible. This field of medicine is still very young, so the wealth of probiotics is still a little-known delicacy for health-conscious people. They are popularly used together with antibiotic therapy or in the form of supplements dedicated to older people. This, of course, definitely does not exhaust the possibilities of a probiotic.

Fermented milk products are an excellent dietary component due to the presence of probiotic bacteria. Preparing homemade yogurt or kefir is very simple and does not require any experience or equipment. All you need is milk, a pot, a stove, and natural kefir or yogurt from the store shelf. Yogurt makers are also available commercially at very affordable prices. You can also prepare white cheese from yogurt or kefir. The internet is full of recipes and tips, so it's not worth overpaying in the store and it's worth trying it yourself.

12. DeepRecovery

DeepRecovery Fapstronaut

Was going to mention casein intolerance, evidently it can be extreme for some people.

The original question of the post is really like good or bad for who?

BTW interesting about whey, I am guessing you are able to have refined whey protein powder if it really is distilled down to only whey?

13. Anders17

Anders17 Fapstronaut

raw dairy = really good
    pasteurized dairy = bad and arguably useless

14. BranchingOut

BranchingOut Fapstronaut

I don't know. Milk is high in saturated fats that can lead to heart disease and obesity and it has estrogens in the milk from steroids. I switched off of dairy mostly because I developed lactose intolerance, but I felt it was a good decision. I switched to almond milk, but now I don't drink any kind of milk unless I eat the occasional pizza or a rare ice cream.

If I were you I would just stick with almond or oat milk because it has more nutrients albeit a little less protein but less saturated fat or steroids than traditional dairy.

As for sugar, I would try to wean off of it with regular fruits or homemade fruit drinks with ginger or something, that's what I am going to experiment with right now. I'm about to buy a cheap single cup blender and I'm looking up some good recipes

15. Nordic. Fish and dairy were my forebears’ diet. Love red and white meat otherwise.

I watch out for timing of calcium intake vs other minerals, but that is it. I don’t have the enzymes to digest a lot of the vegetables that Europeans farther south grow. Eat what I can digest.

16. I think how you feel afterwards is really important when it comes to understanding if the food you eat is good for you or not.
    Everyone is different in that regard ...
    I like milk because it makes me feel rejuvenated.
    Drinking a tall glass of cold milk feels like taking a natural energy drink for me. It personnaly gives me a lot of energy.
    Whoever thought about milking cows first, is a genious ! SOOO good.

Kairose likes this.
  17. bruwayn

bruwayn Fapstronaut

I've never heard that milk is unnatural but what I've heard is that humans are the only mammals that continue drinking milk after they are babies.

18. Eritede

Eritede Fapstronaut

Personally, I don't eat dairy but it's individual.

DonaldShow likes this.