1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on the NFL National Anthem Protests

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 25, 2017.

Should NFL Players have the right to "take a knee" if they choose?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. Agree to disagree. Some people don't support the troops, so why should they be forced to stand? I'm not saying those people are right or kind, but it's a fact that a lot of people don't support the army and are very anti-war. So forcing them to stand is forcing them to make a political statement they disagree with, which I believe is wrong.

2. In my opinion, everyone, even if they try not to choose a side and be objective, still tend to lean one side or the other. So in general, in my opinion, overall, on the issues, people tend to lean left or right, even if they try to be impartial and fair to both sides. I think that it's just human nature to pick a side and so everyone even if they try to be impartial, in my opinion, still tend to have a bias towards one side or the other.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2017
  3. Well yes, I agree with you, but leaning a bit more toward one side than the other is vastly different than picking one side and completely rejecting the other.

Deleted Account likes this.
  4. Fair point. I never said that people can't try to be objective. On some issues, it's good to look at both sides.

5. Tangent or not, you're hitting on the real issue with our nation. Sadly, if history is any indicator, the divisiveness will only get worse. Virtually ever superpower in the past 4,000 years has had the issue of populace division just prior to its collapse (Greek, Roman, and Ottoman empires as a few examples).

You should read "The Fate of Empires" by John Glubb. It's only 28 pages and is free, just Google the title and you'll find it. Eye opening stuff.

6. Ironic that conservatives would be excited about this picture even if it were real. As a conservative, I'd be irritated that the leader of the free world was rescuing kittens instead of running the nation.

7. Yeah I also saw somewhere that every superpower usually tends to last about 250 years or so, now I'm not prophesying anything but in about 9 years time, America will turn 250 and based on the current situation, it looks like a civil war could break out at any moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2017
  8. Well I think helping with hurricane relief is an important thing to do, but perhaps not a hands-on job for the President.

9. I think having the national anthem before every NFL game is ridiculous. It should be limited to just the Super Bowl imo. It's rather exhausting having to listen to it every single bloody game (let alone having to stand for it)! I don't think there's been a single time where the national anthem has been played in the Premier League. But maybe that's the difference between the UK and the US. Personally I think our national anthem is stupid and outdated (well at least the part that's played before games). And Jerusalem is even more stupid! The historical Jesus never came to England!

10. I don't understand this part of your comment. Lol but I agree with everything else you said.

11. I had the same reaction, what's with the random Jerusalem bashing?

12. Lol! Jerusalem is an English hymn that is played before England play cricket and also in big English rugby league games. The lyrics seems to be suggesting Jesus came to England. The person who wrote it was a British Israelist - someone who believes that the British are 'genetically, racially, and linguistically the direct descendants of the Ten Lost Tribes of ancient Israel'. The message of the hymn is basically the British are God's chosen people. I would say it's a song that is close to being anti-Semitic.

13. I figured there was an explanation for that, but being that I'm not British, I had no idea what the heck you were talking about there. Lol

14. Hell would freeze over before Trump would wade through water carrying cats. He's the most narcissistic person I've ever seen, if it doesn't directly benefit him he's not going to do it. He's the type of person that would step over someone starving to death on a street corner or maybe he would just shoot them. After all, he said he could literally shoot somebody and not lose any support.

MiddleGround1706 likes this.
  15. Diomed

Diomed Fapstronaut

Yes, it's disrespectful. Here they are making millions of dollars a year in this country for nothing other than entertaining us. They are not producing anything; they are not creating some useful product that is necessary in the lives of the population; they are not purifying our water, providing us with electricity, building highways or companies that employ millions of people.

They do have the right to protest, but only because they live in a free republic; they make a ton of money because in a capitalist society, the 'people' have enough excess income and free time to waste on supporting them. Would this kind of disrespect be tolerated in Venezuela, N. Korea, China, Russia, Iran or much of the rest of the world (with the exception of the west)? They have every right to protest; and we have every right to boycott the NFL until the whole organization goes belly up.

It is disrespectful to American veterans, sure, but it's even more disrespectful to police squads across the country, who put their lives on the line every day while trying to police crap-hole, crumbling neighborhoods where crime and anti-police sentiment is through the roof.

What are they protesting? If you resist the police, or worse, try to grab a police officer's gun, you are fair game for deadly force. Every man who has ever been in the military or police force knows this; that's how they are trained. Are they protesting a court system that takes into account the deadly force triangle and seriously analyzes whether or not deadly force is justified? Do they even know what they are protesting? Or is everyone just racist in their minds. . .

16. You make it sound as though it's better to live in a communist society, I'm not accusing of saying that but it kinda comes across that way in your post.

17. Well of course not, because there's no true freedom in those countries. I certainly hope you aren't implying that the intolerance of those countries is a positive thing.

18. I think they have some valid points about institutionalized racism in the police force, but I also agree that they go too far with it and label everything bad that happens to a black person as "racism." I'm a HUGE supporter of law enforcement, and it breaks my heart to see the disrespect so many American citizens have for police these days. They do so much for our society, and it's an incredibly difficult and demanding and often thankless job. They have to deal with things most of us will never even have to imagine... dead bodies, comforting the families of kids who have killed themselves and babies who have died, investigating gruesome murders and rapes, putting their lives at risk for us, and even just dealing with stupid insignificant crap that people call the police for, like their child misbehaving. I have the utmost respect for police. That doesn't mean there isn't institutionalized racism in the justice system, to some degree, though. But it deeply saddens me to see the way police are treated these days.

19. When the police gain control over their own ranks and get rid of the officers causing problems you will see a major shift in attitudes towards the police. Until then....expect endless protests and just anti-police sentiment in general.

20. This is the kind of identity politics that does nobody any good and is completely unwarranted. It's not the fault of innocent officers when some terrible officer does something stupid. That's on them, not the entire police force and every officer across the country. Those who fight hard for our safety and security and have never, and would never, misuse their badge, those who pit their lives on the line for you every day with zero gratitude, they deserve our respect, and nothing less. They don't deserve to be blamed for the actions of some terrible police officer they've never met who lives in some town and state they've never even set foot in.

Blame the individuals who are problematic, not an entire population of people for the actions of some.